JJ UTG against Unknown

• coconauta
      coconauta
      Bronze
      I was playing NL10 and found myself holding JJ on UTG, I raised and the player on MP3 3-betted me. Since a raise by UTG is considered tight, I thought his 3-bet was pretty strong, and found myself in a doubt.
      What should I do here?
      Can't call for set value, since it would be nearly a call10, making it unprofitable.
      Can't raise for value, because villain's range is kinda strong. Should I fold? My head keeps telling me it's a weak play.

Thanks.
  • 4 replies
    • r4zor
      r4zor
      Bronze
      folding is fine... you said his 3bet range is pretty strong and JJ has bad equity against mp3 3brange.

its not a weak play. they never know that you have folded JJ UTG in this spot. and btw you just invest 3bb here is it worth to to lose more 7bb more or to lose your fullstack preflop?
    • coconauta
      coconauta
      Bronze
      Originally posted by r4zor
      folding is fine... you said his 3bet range is pretty strong and JJ has bad equity against mp3 3brange.

its not a weak play. they never know that you have folded JJ UTG in this spot. and btw you just invest 3bb here is it worth to to lose more 7bb more or to lose your fullstack preflop?
      Just to clear this out, I had no reads on the villain, I had around 5 hands on him and just assumed his range based on the position of an unknown player. Still a fold?
    • r4zor
      r4zor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by coconauta
      Since a raise by UTG is considered tight, I thought his 3-bet was pretty strong
      why are u doubting if i know that his 3b will be strong. u raised from UTG and he 3bets you. what does it means? could it be 56s,96s or TT? i think calling and 4betting here is fine since we are talking about FR. TT and JJ shouldnt be in your 4b/shove arsenal because of the playability to play postflop. but you are OOP and folding is the correct decision here imo. its hard to call here because you can c/f a lot of flops and if you 4b and he shoves, you are in a deep s****.

against unknown its an instafold.

ps: sorry for the late reply
    • coconauta
      coconauta
      Bronze
      Originally posted by r4zor
      Originally posted by coconauta
      Since a raise by UTG is considered tight, I thought his 3-bet was pretty strong
      why are u doubting if i know that his 3b will be strong. u raised from UTG and he 3bets you. what does it means? could it be 56s,96s or TT? i think calling and 4betting here is fine since we are talking about FR. TT and JJ shouldnt be in your 4b/shove arsenal because of the playability to play postflop. but you are OOP and folding is the correct decision here imo. its hard to call here because you can c/f a lot of flops and if you 4b and he shoves, you are in a deep s****.

against unknown its an instafold.

ps: sorry for the late reply
      Thanks for the answer, and I wasn't doubting if you knew about the 3b strenght, I just thought you had misunderstood because I didn't make it clear on the text that the player was an unknown. Sorry if I insulted you in any means. Your answer helped me a lot.