is it time to quit?

• needagun
      needagun
      Bronze
      warning: the following stuff is a semi-pathetic monologue about my 4 days of playing poker

well, i found out about this site from a starcraft tournament sponsored by it, it said i'd get 50$ FOR FREE... nothing is free
      well ok it was free, they actually gave me 50$ and i started playing...

i looked at the poker software and thought it would be best to play sit and go at the lowest possible limit: 1 cent sb, 2 cents bb, and you can bring 2$ at most to the table

well i lost more than i won and i dropped from 50 to 40 dollars, then i dropped to 32 even, got back to 46, dropped some more, got back some more etc.

i always had the impression that i lost because i didn't listen to myself... you know sometimes you KNOW you shouldn't do something and you still do it, very often i knew i'd lose and i don't know why i still raised/called

sometimes i even called just to make sure that i was right about what the other guy had... and unfortunately i was

i even made an amazing discovery: if i raised 4 cents when i was the dealer and nobody else did anything i could get away with stealing the blinds, and if they called i could get away with bluffing if they checked or even more if i actually had some cards to work with, and i'd rarely be the one folding

ANYWAY so i said to myself: if i just played with more discipline... i should start winning, what the hell, i don't even do stuff like "hope" my hand will improve

SO today i played better than usual, i even stopped calling or raising when i knew i'd lose

and to make the big $ i thought to myself i'd all in when i've got 2 aces or 2 kings before the flop, or when it's very likely that i'll win the hand

well guess what happened? i lost every all in with AA and KK pre flop... i think i lost like 10 in a row... when i had KK they had an ace and another one appeared (odds are what? 4/52*3/52... when i had AA they got 3 of a kind or flush... ok i have to admit i all-inned with QQ 2 or 3 times, yea that didn't go well either

i said to myself, ok, if i lose ONE MORE TIME with AA i'll quit this... and guess what?

i get AA, i made a little raise, he called... ok ... the flop is average looking, 2 consecutive cards and nothing else... he made a raise, i re raised and he called, the next card was useless looking... all in... he calls and... straight :P

i'm sick of losing, got 31.58 dollars left, what do you think? time to quit? do you think i'd have any chance to actually make enough money out of this so it would be worth the enormous time investment?
  • 13 replies
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      I have one advice for you.
      Study more and play less.
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      My advice is to relax. If you have $32, you aren't playing for a living. You've been given FREE money to practice with. There are some amazing articles here on PokerStrategy.
      If you have some specific questions, post them here. I have been playing for over 6 years, and I'm just now finally learning how to grind out some profit. That said, I'm sure if you study hard and think about "why" you play and "why" you play the way you do, you'll be on a great start!

Best of luck!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      As I read your post, I see in there all of the answers you need.

--discipline
      --play solid hands solidly
      --steal blinds when possible

Now all you need to do is do it.

This will come with study and practice.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      If your dream was to sit down with a $50 bankroll, and in a few weeks start earning a living, then give up now. It was a dream. More like a fantasy. Not an uncommon one.

If, after this rough start you've had, you can now take a little break, and realize that this is work, then it might be worth continuing.

There is a wealth of study material available here, for free, just as the $50 you got was free. That study material needs to be used. If you go through it, you will find it describes a lot of things that shouldn't be done, and if you are honest, you will probably see that you have been doing some of them.

The articles also tell you the best way, as a beginner, to try and make the most of the opportunity you have been given. You are not obliged, in any way, to take advantage of that.

To address the issue of losing with monster hands, really all I can say is, welcome to variance. It is not unlucky, it is not persecution. As long as there is a percentage possibility that an opponent can win a hand, on any street, that percentage will be honored over time. You won't ever feel good when it happens. If you continue to feel bad when it happens, if it robs you of joy, and ruins the rest of your day, those would be more good reasons to stop now.

This is work, but it is work you can do in spare time, and work that will give you skills you don't even know about yet. If you do it well.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Aciddrop is very right. You shouldn't play Poker for the money, until you can actually play for significant amounts of it.

You're a StarCraft player. Ever played Brood War? If you were to enter Brood War as a novice today, it could take you years to become good, maybe a year if you were really dedicated. Poker is the same. (But fortunately, it's easier to break into NL2 than to break into ICCup! Else I'd still be stuck at NL2!) And just being good at Poker doesn't mean you'll make huge money. You need to be great to make a decent amount.

Also like StarCraft, study is important. You study progames, to learn what good players do. (Post your hands in the hand evaluation forums) You read new builds. (Read articles about new strategies) You learn the fundamentals of macro (value betting) which is where most of your wins (profit) come from at the low ranks (micro stakes) until everyone knows them to a basic level. Poker is a lot like Brood War, and Brood War is bloody hard. But it's still fun, even though almost nobody will ever make a cent off it.

I don't play because of the money: I play for fun, and the fact that I could one day win decent money spurs me on. But mainly, I play for the enjoyment, and for the mental challenge it brings. And, just a teeny bit for the money :)

Hope this advice from a poor Poker player and worse BW player helped you out :P
    • matusko
      matusko
      Coach
      Coach
      My piece of advice:
      You look pretty inteligent and also from the post I can see you are thinking about the game not just doing random stuff. You "invented" blind stealing by yourself and also c-beting(when you raise from the "Dealer", they check and you bluff the flop) these are really standart concepts in poker but you "invented" them yourself which is not a bad acomplishment imo(im not being ironic). I think you have potential sir. Also if you were succesfull in starcraft you should be able to own poker aswell.
      Take a look at some of the bronze articles and start doing some studying also.
      The bad beats you mention- it happens to everyone, I also had the feeling sometimes that "omg no1 runns worse" but it happens, just ignore it and concentrate only on the decisions you are making nothing else matters long term. The fact that you lost $20 is no big deal really, a lot of successfull players lost their 1st starting capital. Let us know how it goes and GL.
    • needagun
      needagun
      Bronze
      well i kept losing in the exact same way, all-inning with a better hand and getting fucked by the next cards every time; i tried to go on but my reserves of patience were completely depleted

so i thought that if was to lose then at least i could lose against better players so i left my hut and moved to the big city to play for FIVE CENT BIG BLINDS

remarkably the people here have mastered the game to such a degree that they have discovered other buttons than "check" and "call"

they are nice enough to show a little bit of consideration when i raise

the dealer, after politely waiting for everyone else, asked me if he could have the blind, and of course i gave it to him a few times, and after i refused him once he was kind enough to drop the issue

so, i am slowly crawling back to those 50 bucks after dropping to a historical low of 25; it's too early to tell but if i manage to do it you guys will be the first to know :)

p.s. i am not and was not a competitive brood war player, and on a scale of skill i'd be something that "tends to 0" (i don't know how to say it in english.. i am x and x -> 0 :P )... but hey, maybe someone here wants to play a game? my 2 friends who i played starcraft with have been missing in action
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by needagun
      well i kept losing in the exact same way, all-inning with a better hand and getting fucked by the next cards every time; i tried to go on but my reserves of patience were completely depleted

so i thought that if was to lose then at least i could lose against better players so i left my hut and moved to the big city to play for FIVE CENT BIG BLINDS

remarkably the people here have mastered the game to such a degree that they have discovered other buttons than "check" and "call"

they are nice enough to show a little bit of consideration when i raise

the dealer, after politely waiting for everyone else, asked me if he could have the blind, and of course i gave it to him a few times, and after i refused him once he was kind enough to drop the issue

so, i am slowly crawling back to those 50 bucks after dropping to a historical low of 25; it's too early to tell but if i manage to do it you guys will be the first to know :)

p.s. i am not and was not a competitive brood war player, and on a scale of skill i'd be something that "tends to 0" (i don't know how to say it in english.. i am x and x -> 0 :P )... but hey, maybe someone here wants to play a game? my 2 friends who i played starcraft with have been missing in action
      are you referring to him stealing and then you re-stealing? I like how you made into a little dialogue lol gave me a little laugh(I browse these forums forr laughs andd bad beat stories after a losing session)..Anyways good luck with your journey
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      o ya Im looking to hook my SC back up with BW, I have SC2 but it isn't working on my computer so I wanna go back to BW. I didnt realize alot of poker players played SC, the two translate well I guess.

Let me know your B.net name
    • PxKx
      PxKx
      Bronze
      Originally posted by brobz
      o ya Im looking to hook my SC back up with BW, I have SC2 but it isn't working on my computer so I wanna go back to BW. I didnt realize alot of poker players played SC, the two translate well I guess.

Let me know your B.net name
      They don't. Just "many" on strategy because of that they're sponsoring Team Liquid.
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      lol ok thanks for the clearing that up
    • nativehero2007
      nativehero2007
      Bronze
      yeah dont give up and read all the great articles here....... i lost all $50 starting capital too.... i prefer to play tournaments than cash games.... i couldnt figure out why i was busting out in the top 11 to 25..... but after reading the articles on MTTs.... i started to make some final tables..... not everytime though but i made some small cashes on PP....... i still have lots to learn..... if your aces or kings get busted..... thats poker..... good luck
    • needagun
      needagun
      Bronze
      long time no see :)

well, i lost the 50$ pokerstrategy gave me

whenever i had the better chances and lost i got super pissed off and the next hands just raised out of frustration, i didn't have any patience to wait for a good hand, and when i had a good hand but the other guy had a better one and i knew he had it i still just raised and raised...

so i was down to 2$, and i decided i like playing so i put my own 50$ and since then i have played almost only by thinking and i am at 87 dollars now

all my all ins worked, i always had the higher chances, i just hope i don't get pissed off when i'll lose even though i had a better hand
      i've also been folding a lot, only going when i know i'm ahead or when my nose tells me he's just begging me to fold :)

i have also noticed a neat trick that isn't mentioned on pokerstrategy (or at least i haven't noticed it) and i swear it's legit: you check to see at how many players the other dudes are playing, if they are playing at 8 tables they are pretty mechanical, if they are playing at 10+ tables they are ultra robotic and pretty honest about their play, they might have only 1 bluff built into their strategy which they do mechanically but if you look at how they raise and what position they're in you can figure out what they've got more or less, at least at the 5 cent bb tables