climbing up the ladder, nl sh vs. limit sh

• Floating
      Floating
      Bronze
      hi,

for the moment i am alternating Nl25 (winrate 10BB over the last 20,000 hands) and fixed limit SH (shot from .2 through .5 to 1 now where i have a winrate of 3bb over the last 5000 hands)
      must say about fixed limit sh i am really donking away as i have not studied the game yet (hope to get the discipline to participate in the forum soon)

as my sample size is way too small to make a decent comparison i have a question for the more experienced people:

nl sh you need to win like 2500 BB to move to the next level.
      fixed limit you need like 300 BB

i am aware that the different poker forms have different winrates to expect,
      but with a ratio of roughly 1:8 wouldn't one expect to climb faster playing fixed limit sh?
  • 8 replies
    • Floating
      Floating
      Bronze
      heh... i managed to pose a question even mighty Puschkin is dodging ;)

no problem, might start a thread on how im doing playing both games soon anyway...
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Floating!

You shouldn't mix up the games. Concentrate on one strategy and try to master it. Concerning your question: Whether you play FL or NL there is no difference in the speed of moving up. In FL you need less BB to move up, but the winrate is lower as well.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Floating
      Floating
      Bronze
      hi Puschkin,

a response in 34 min... seems more like you now ;)

i know i should not mix them up, just let me donk around a few more days before i make my final choice.

then i again, i moved from fr to sh way too early, and moved from nl 10 to nl25 adjusting brm a bit... more on that when i start my thread

i also know that the winrate playing FL is lower than playing NL, but 1:8 seems a bit a high ratio to me
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Floating
      1:8 seems a bit a high ratio to me
      It's because it isn't 8:1, but 4:1. BB in NL is "big blind" whereas it's "big bet" in FL.
    • Floating
      Floating
      Bronze
      that explains it :D (emoticon in lack of the one with the blushing face)
    • ajfonso
      ajfonso
      Bronze
      why not change strategy's?

In the end fixed limit will help you NLHE game and aroud.
      Also it is good to be a more alaround player right???
    • Floating
      Floating
      Bronze
      what speaks against it is that one is doubling one's time on the lower limits.

but if one wants to learn two forms of poker one will have to pay his dues one time anyway.

actually soon im going to decide what form to concentrate on and try to climb up to a decent level in one form first.

there is the danger of mixing up things, but that has not been an issue with me so far.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      after learning a bit of FL SH (i find FR of any cash game quite boring), i think that it really does help your overall game if you try understand the reasons behind certain actions, etc.