I hate 0.05/0.10 people play with rububish and get lucky

• Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      I have been playing poker for a couple of years now, but joined PokerStrategy less than a month ago. I have been sticking to the NL10 Short Stack Strategy, and built my bank roll up to about $105 after a few very long and demanding sessions. Things were going very well.
      I joined Mansion because i already had an account with Titan and these were the only two options I had when I set up my Strategy account.

However... maybe its reality taking hold, maybe its a bad run, maybe its just awful players, but I have taken a big hit and everything seems to be going against me.

I am holding pocket 10 10s two limpers, I raise to $0.60 and button calls with J 3 offsuit all others fold. Heads-up. Flop is low, I have an over pair and only have $1 left. I pushed all in on the flop. My opponent actually hit nothing but decided to still call. He hit a J on the river. I mean, why would anyone do that? WHY?!?! It defies logic. Preflop raise and lead on on the flop, he had nothing before the flop or on the flop. What was he hoping for?
      Thats disgusting play from him/her, it really is. All I could do was laugh, otherwise I would cry my eyes out in frustration, because my recent sessions have all had some kind of horrible beat. I lost like 10 buy-ins back-to-back to terrible players with awful cards getting cripplingly lucky.

I even conjured up a conspiracy theory that Mansion gives new players a skill rating depending on how much they win, the lower the rating the more likely Mansion will give them a favourable river card. Ridiculous I know, but when you see river card after river card after river card hitting these 3 outers, you soon start to wonder.

I have been riddled with bad beats recently, and its de-moralising. Not only that, but I am finding on these tables that a 4x raise is not enough to push the rubbish hands out of the pot, if I am the first one to act. The opponents will all just flat call my raise and we have a family pot. A large size one sure, but my early position AA doesnt look too healthy when I have 7 people seeing the flop.

I hate this limit, it is frustrating me how bad the players are. If this has been mentioned before, then I apologise I just need to rant!!

I guess my question is can I go straight to NL25 using the SSS instead of progressing to the BSS at NL10? I am losing the desire to build a bankroll capable of playing BSS at NL10 now, I just want to be amongst players who actually have a vague understanding of the game, and not these muppetts in NL10.

Well thanks for listening/reading. I am probably in the same boat as most people, but its still annoying, and I suppose I shouldnt tap the fish tank too hard otherwise i will scare them away. But they should not be taking my money by playing awful poker like they do and I hate them for it!
  • 20 replies
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      people get lucky on higher stakes too..
    • h3r3tik
      h3r3tik
      Bronze
      My 5 cents opinion is that you should defenetly stick to NL10. It seams to me that this bad beats clouded your overall understanding that you gathered in the couple of year you have been playing poker. In poker you win money exactly from that guy that does the mistake of calling you with few outs draw. Think about it! Would you like to be called only by guys holding AA against your TT? Or you'd prefer a guy with a hand like J2 that called your preflop bet, than calling your bet on the flop?

I think SSS is a good way of training you patience when it comes to that ugly part of poker. Playing on NL25 will only make you feel more beaten by poor players as you'll loose more money in such unfortunate events, even if the prospect of winning more looks nice.

I've been in your situation years ago, I understand what you're saying, I've actually decided to do what you want to do (move up the limits) only to find out that is harder to build a bankroll when your initial bankroll is not well suited for the limit you're playing. If you plan to invest your own money and start playing NL25, you can do it. You'll still get the same "training" I've talked about, but it would be paid buy yourself not by OPM.

I hope all this long post helps you. I would suggest you'd listen to some chill out music while playing NL10 and enjoy seeing guys calling you with trash.
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Bah, thats nothing! :) . Its way more frustrating seeing 2 out of 3 KK you get wind up against AA ^^, not that I personally care much about such things but hey :)
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Great advice, thank you for your time. I also have had a few good sessions recently and taken my bankroll back up over $100 from my unfortunate downswing. After my outburst on the forum I got it all off my chest and now I realise its just a run of bad luck which I have to accept. Next milestone is $150, then my final goal is $200. Soon as im there, ill probably give the BSS a bash and see whats what.

On the positive the SSS works well 85% of the time, but no strategy can remove the element of bad luck.

I also found that I was having less joy when I used the "Quick Seat" function on Mansion. This pretty much just picks a random available table for you sit down at. Instead of using this I am now selecting my own tables, those with the highest average pots and it works like a treat. I know the articles said to do this anyway, but I found it laborious and I guess I preferred the ease of the Quick Seat to make it do the work for me.
      DONT fall into that trap! Spend the extra time and it will yield a much better return.

Thanks for your help folks.
    • gustamaneh
      gustamaneh
      Bronze
      hey what about having QQ all in pre flop against 53o and the guy hits a flush, because the table came with 4 clubs and the 3 of the guy was club =p
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Yeah thats pretty nasty. I cant help but give abuse Phil Hellmuth style when that happens.
    • Sicilianpimp
      Sicilianpimp
      Bronze
      just keep in mind when your playing poker to make money, that the players you should be looking for are the exact player you discribed. The way you make big bucks in poker in the long haul is playing with guys who call raised with j2 off flop nothing yet still call an all in move.

For me when I play I usually spend about 20 minutes before sitting down scoping out all the tables, actually looking for these type of players and beleave me if he dosent just get up and leave, either myself or another player will felt them. Even if they get lucky 30 times in a row with 1 outers on me I will still simply reload because I know its just a matter of time untill his bad playing and all luck style will be overcome by good reads and solid play.

So keep your head up :)
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sicilianpimp
      For me when I play I usually spend about 20 minutes before sitting down scoping out all the tables, actually looking for these type of players (...)
      Why don't you just datamine and table select? Would be easier ^^

or just move up to where they respect your raises
    • Sicilianpimp
      Sicilianpimp
      Bronze
      Originally posted by swissmoumout
      For me when I play I usually spend about 20 minutes before sitting down scoping out all the tables, actually looking for these type of players (...)
      Why don't you just datamine and table select? Would be easier ^^

or just move up to where they respect your raises
      i am new to online poker, i have only played it two weeks. whats datamine?
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      using a program to automatically observe tables and retrieve hands, and stats on opponents. There's a forum here with databases. have a look, it might help, although the german site has many more
    • Sicilianpimp
      Sicilianpimp
      Bronze
      ill give it a shot.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      ill give it a shot.
      You should also be receiving PokerTracker and PokerAce sometime in the future from us. This is very helpful in online poker due to it allowing you to analyse your own game as well being helpfull in fiinding weakspots in your opponents game :)

(We give out the liscenses to players who have gathered more than 2,000 Strategy points)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • Sicilianpimp
      Sicilianpimp
      Bronze
      ill check them out :)

hopfully they dont confuse me. because so far all the internet poker talk confuses me and i have 0 idea what it all means lol. ROI, RGS, SSS, BSS, PIMP, and all the other terms lol. Also multi table confuses me haha I have no idea how people can possibly read players while playing 16 tables at once :P .

ill definately check them out though and see if they help me out some.
    • Tukaluga
      Tukaluga
      Bronze
      this is totaly normal and happens all the time ....

but if you still play the way you are supposed to , there should be no problem

with building up your Bankroll
    • Marivs
      Marivs
      Bronze
      Well, there are idiots playing rubish hands on other levels to... here is a fine example of a donkey:

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)      
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $41.10
      MP3:
      $14.74

0.10/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K:heart: , K:club:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, MP3 calls $1.00, 4 folds.

Flop: ($2.35) 9:club: , 5:diamond: , 7:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.50, MP3 calls $1.50.

Turn: ($5.35) 6:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $4, MP3 raises to $12.24 (All-In), Hero calls $8.24.

River: ($29.83) K:diamond:

Final Pot: $29.83

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows [ Kh, Kc ] three of a kind, Kings
      MP3 shows [ Jc, 8s ] a straight Five to Nine
      MP3 wins $28.34 USD with a straight, Five to Nine.
    • Marivs
      Marivs
      Bronze
      Jesus fkn christ WTF is wrong with people and why the fck do they play J8 like it was the nutz??

Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:club: , K:spade:
      UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0.25, MP2 raises to $0.75, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, 4 folds, MP2 raises to $2.91 (All-In), Hero calls $0.91.

Flop: ($6.42) 4:club: , 6:club: , A:club:
      Turn: ($6.42) A:spade:
      River: ($6.42) 2:heart:

Final Pot: $6.42

MP2 shows [ 8c, Jc ] a flush, Ace high
      Hero shows [ Kc, Ks ] two pairs, Aces and Kings
      MP2 wins $5.60 USD with a flush, Ace high.
    • sismis
      sismis
      Bronze
      Dont worry guys, thats poker. The only difference on NL200 is that you need to learn not to get broke with KK here :)

edit: ok, that preflop allin is disgusting :P
    • Marivs
      Marivs
      Bronze
      yeah i know that not folding to his turn raise wasn't the smartest move but I was sure I was way ahead becaue I took his entire stack, or better said his half-stack, earlyer when he went all in pre-flop where a shortie raised from early, i reraised with QQ from CO, he called from BU. Shortie than went all-in, I min-raised so i got him all in and he snap-called. I was lucky hitting a Q on the board so i beat shorties AA but than i lol-ed when I saw that thi fish called all those raises PF with AQ! :D
    • Sicilianpimp
      Sicilianpimp
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Marivs
      Jesus fkn christ WTF is wrong with people and why the fck do they play J8 like it was the nutz??

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:club: , K:spade:
      UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0.25, MP2 raises to $0.75, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, 4 folds, MP2 raises to $2.91 (All-In), Hero calls $0.91.

Flop: ($6.42) 4:club: , 6:club: , A:club:
      Turn: ($6.42) A:spade:
      River: ($6.42) 2:heart:

Final Pot: $6.42

MP2 shows [ 8c, Jc ] a flush, Ace high
      Hero shows [ Kc, Ks ] two pairs, Aces and Kings
      MP2 wins $5.60 USD with a flush, Ace high.
      are you trying to tell me, when i went all in preflop with j8 earlier it was a bad play?