The importance of confidence

• pokerhelten
      pokerhelten
      Bronze
      The importance of confidence
      First of all, this article is not based on facts that I've read anywhere, it's based on my own experience and how things tend to make sense to you when u feel u understand something. I've just figured out that I know the importance of confidence.
      How?
      The feeling you get when beeing confident is the same as when you're secure and happy with yourself. This attitude is the winning attitude, it has always been and will always be. Both at the poker table and in life generelly. eg. positive thinking.

I feel the mind is basicly made up by two things which is negative and positive feelings which again is linked to past experiences you've had. Negative feelings are mainly doubt, doubt that u can do something (ex. doubt that u will win this heads-up). Doubt is based on former experiences with the thing you're doing. Doubt is your bodies way of telling u that u had a bad experience with this before(tilt is totally ignoring all your feelings and experiences which make u braindead). Doubt will crush your game and make you a passive losing player. A tilted player tries to overcome the doubt by trying to be confident but anger makes your ability to think clear blurred. Even if u think you're not angry, you're just blocking out the bad feelings(believe me, this is possible) and from here u tend to trick yourself into thinking you play good but u keep losing. So if u can't feel your mind is clear, you're still on tilt. Take time to understand this feeling. To crush your doubt, you truly have to believe that u will be a winning player and your winning strategies, believe in what your gut tells you. Try to focus on the other players and see which level of confidence they have, it will help you more than u think. With the right attitude as a good pokerplayer, u have the imformation to win in your brain somewhere, and your gutfeeling and confidence to your decistions are the key to finding the correct information to make the right choices. The mind is usually right, listen to it. Get rid of all your negative feelings; doubt and fear of your doubt. Replace these with positbilities to get new good experiences linked to your playing. Doubt is there to protect you from bad things. Not being a winning poker-player :f_biggrin: .

Does anyone think this makes sense? I think so. And things that makes sense tend to be right. GL at the table. I just found my biggest leak, both at the poker table and in life. All u need is a little true faith in yourself. Not just want to want confidence. But to truely believe "I am a confident winning poker-player". Try saying this phrase some times and feel it.
  • 9 replies
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Think I agree with you there. I've recently been through a pretty bad downswing and I started to lose confidence in my playing ability. This obviously caused me to make some sub-optimal moves, such as deciding not to raise a certain hand because "There's no point, BB will obviously 3bet me". It's a hard thing to overcome though, because you have to start making moves at the table that go against all your doubt and lack of confidence. It's like trying to stop tilting all over again, you have to learn to block out your emotions and go with what you KNOW is right intellectually.
    • pokerhelten
      pokerhelten
      Bronze
      Yeah, you got to replace the bad experiences that caused you tilting in the first place. Confront your "fear" of playing your A-game. You don't just want to stick on the pokertable. You want to WIN! That's why you always must have an open mind, try to get inside your opponaments head. Figure out which state of mind he is in compared to you, a confident winning shark of a pokerplayer.
      Be more happy with yourself, let go of negative thoughts on raising or being agressive(when u should). Being passive is just your own way of saying "fuck it" I don't really care anyway. Build youself up, or u will only fall deeper into the bad habits and ways you've learned to use to protect yourself from the disapointment of losing. It's hard, but once you learn to do it, It's easy and good for yourself. Like I said before, this dont just count on the pokertable.
    • pokerhelten
      pokerhelten
      Bronze
      Make people not feel confident by being confident.
      Show no emotions, but learn to handle them. Learn to see the true emotions of your opponament, without showing him any of yours. These emotion need to be let out somehow. Being happy is the best way. You lose a hand you should've won, you think; ah, damn atleast I made the right choice, no need to be angry with myself. Confident? never against me(or you)! It's severely important in heads up! I love heads up. However, you gotta need to understand that when u lose, playing good, really you're winning.
      Good decistions are never wrong as long as you are able to process your anger against the speaking situation where you might have gotten lucked out on the river. It doesn't matter. Your bigger than that.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Add some discipline with your confidence to really make something great.
    • pokerhelten
      pokerhelten
      Bronze
      Exactly. If you gain disiplin over your own confidence you can achive whatever goals you set yourself(which is reachable for you) and the human mind has no limit what it can do. Einstein wasn't a spectaculary smart person due to a big brain or something like that. He just understood the principals of how to use it right to find the information you have in your brain that is hard to find due to what I've told here all day. It's just about figuring how! And confidence in your own thoughts and ideas is certainly the most important step!
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      To succeed in life one needs two things; ignorance and confidence

Mark Twain
    • pokerhelten
      pokerhelten
      Bronze
      I guess that is what I'm trying to say. To be good you need to have been through all phases of mindset in poker so that u can analyse your opponament and try to remember how you would have played in the state you put your opponament in. And keeping balance in your own play still playing your A-game.
      Ignorance is used to not show emotions to others. Confidence is used to accept your feelings by losing and other things to let go of the doubt. Then u can prosess the feelings you wanna get out by tilting by just thinking good things and remembering yourself about the good things in life and poker. Seems so simple now, lol :)
    • JazBenz
      JazBenz
      Bronze
      I havent read the post (too long right now sorry) but I just wanted to say confidence in EVERYTHING we do (including poker) is the most important thing to success, as well as believing in oneself, keep that mental attitude and you cannot help but win ;)
    • pokerhelten
      pokerhelten
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JazBenz
      I havent read the post (too long right now sorry) but I just wanted to say confidence in EVERYTHING we do (including poker) is the most important thing to success, as well as believing in oneself, keep that mental attitude and you cannot help but win ;)
      Couldn't agree more. Some time in life you will understand this. And understanding how to controll your own confidence is the key. Don't be afraid of feelings linked to bad experiences, face them and get new and better ones!!!