Live bad beat after (I think) great play

• luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      I'm just sharing with you, troll me at will.

So... I was today in a big live tournament. Deep stack (200BB), 25 minutes blinds, 140 players.

After 5 hours of play I had been completely card dead: had AK once and TT once. And that was it.

Then I made a very good but risky move, check-raised all in with KQ on JT7r flop against BTN. He thought for a long while, called with a pair and my straight came. Good, double up.

After a couple more orbits I get QQ on UTG+1 (full ring table). Standard raise, one caller from middle position. I knew the guy, very aggressive player who called frequently with speculative hands.

The flop is KKT duotone. I could cbet, I know. But I thought that would turn my hand a bit into a bluff, and I would have to fold to a raise. So I checked, and he made a smallish bet.

Now... the blinds were 800 and 1.600, I had a bit more than 25k on my stack, so did him. I had raised to 3.5k before the flop, so the pot was 9.4k. His bet was between 3 and 5k, I can't even remember right.

I started thinking, what the f* could he have? A king, of course. What king? AK, aggressive as he is, would have 3bet. KK, even more. KQ was possible but unlikely, as I had two of the Q. So... either underpairs (JJ-) or a flush draw would make sense. Of course, he could have TT and I would be crushed, but on the whole of his range (which included air of course) I was frankly ahead.

Folding being out of question, what would be my plan on turn and river? No plan. I'd have to check most cards anyway, or make a weird donkbet with not much fold equity. Except if I hit the unlikely Q, of course. So... calling was ugly if I really thought I was ahead, no other choice but to raise. Since I would be pot commited anyway, raised all-in.

He thought for 5 seconds and made the call. Right after, he asks "do you have the K?", wtf. No, I don't. He turns over T9 of the other suit, so I'm crushing him badly. He put me on the flush draw and called with his low pair, low kicker. He has 2 outs, only the two T out there (as a 9 would chance nothing, only running nines would save him).

I ran the equity of course, I had 92%.

Turn is a T and he knocks me out as he has me covered for a couple hundred chips.

Online bad beats suck big time, of course. But now I'm sure live ones are worse: no multitabling, no chance of starting another tournament. Only waiting for the next one, months to come.

As I said, troll me at will. Still, I'm ridiculously frustrated (yet again, I know) but glad I've played quite well l(I think) even being card dead for a long while. And I'm happy about my thought process in the hand, how read him like a book and put it in being so much ahead.

Even though, of course, I have now the feeling many of you had at least once, if not many times: this is bs, I should just quit poker.
  • 4 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by luizsilveira
      this is bs, I should just quit poker.
      Yup you should if you cant take the variance
    • Bollocks22
      Bollocks22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by luizsilveira
      1. The flop is KKT duotone. I could cbet, I know. But I thought that would turn my hand a bit into a bluff, and I would have to fold to a raise. So I checked, and he made a smallish bet.

2. Folding being out of question, what would be my plan on turn and river? No plan. I'd have to check most cards anyway, or make a weird donkbet with not much fold equity. Except if I hit the unlikely Q, of course. So... calling was ugly if I really thought I was ahead, no other choice but to raise. Since I would be pot commited anyway, raised all-in.
      1. cbet is turning your hand into a bluff?? and you definetly don't need to fold to a raise!

2. reraise all in makes sure you are up against the top of his range folding out all his bluffs, of all the options you have folding might even be better than pushing all in. Tho this is always a call after you checked instead of the standard C-bet!

you should focus on improving your game a lot because your thinking proces is really strange in this hand!!
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      don't worry dude, the important thing is that your thought process is remarkable.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Bollocks22

you should focus on improving your game a lot because your thinking proces is really strange in this hand!!
      Thank you. That's the objective of my post, and of posting the whole thought process on the hand. Even though I did think (at the time) the hand was well played, I realize it was probably not (not that his call was exactly great, lol).

So thanks for taking the time to make thoughtful comments. And yes, since that night I think cbetting was better. Even though I think with my cbet I'd make him fold trash and call with the top of his range, and by checking I gave him the opportunity to bet trash/bluff. He thought he was pot committed, thus the call - and, objectively speaking, his call was obviously great for me...

To be honest in the end I'm not sure yet, cbet or not cbet. Against a good or passive player, I think cbet. Against that type of player (absurdly aggro) not cbeting I still think is viable and may be good play to induce bluffs and bad bets... but of course I might be wrong.