Bad Beats - is this normal??

• pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      Hello players,

Im overall a winning player (FT and PS combined over 450 dollars), but some things are just too unusual for me...

1.) pokerstars: I had a regular giraffe graph at 1,10 SnG (45players), made 170, switched to 3,25 same structure, made it to over 400bucks. I withdrawed a over a hundred. Since then I was getting bad beat after bad beat... and dropped quite a bit. Since those tournaments were turbos, all ins were so common that you cannot win if you dont win these... I was so sick of it that I switched to MTT scheduled tournaments where I have been break even player ever since. I was eliminated so many times just before the final table ... Anyways, the all ins seemed to be regular. Getting bad beats sometimes but in a normal way. Overall, I really enjoy playing those tourney...

2.) full tilt: After getting a starting capital of 50 dollars there, I made it to over 100 and earned enough points to withdraw everything. I wanted just to play on pokerstars since I liked the platform a little better... 3 weeks ago, I decided to play on FT again since I wanted to earn some strategy points to read some articles. Deposited 58 dollars, played only 1 dollar Rush on Demand tourneys with around 500 players. It has been going really well, was 1st twice, 3rd,4th,5th and some other places less significant, my bankroll rose to 329 dollars ! It seemed really easy to beat those tourneys, players are just sooo bad over there...
      Well, since last week I felt like I was getting too many bad beat which kept me from getting deep in these tourneys. Yesterday, it started getting ridicolous when I lost with AA twice in a row to weaker aces (those were the worst bad beats, there were however many others)
      Before I started playing this evening, I decided to write down all the all-ins I was involved in (only those preflop) Sorry I cant provide it in a pretty form since I do not use any poker software...
      Those are the results (my hand first, their second, all in preflop)
      QQ vs TT - lost
      99 vs KA/AK - lost
      JJ vs AQ - lost
      QQ vs JJ/A9/AT/AQ all unsuited - he got flush - lost
      88 vs AQ lost
      99 vs 88 lost
      88 vs 89s lost

Of course not all are bad beats but I didnt win a single one. I did NOT make this up... similar stuff has been happening for the past week. Of course I won sometimes but in a very small rate. My bankroll at Full Tilt is now at 282 dollars.
      I know this probably sounds strange but sometimes I just have a bad feeling about the software ... then comes question: how come some people are able to turn profit consistently? it is probably not the software ...

My mind is not in a positive mode right now. I guess I just gotta hope this will turn around... I will not play for a while. I finally got the Poker Mindset book, so I will read this instead ... :/
  • 4 replies
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      Well, I decided to play couple more tourneys and seems it is back to normal ...
      I was making a deep run in a tourney with 669 people, when 63 were remaining (places paid), I decided to again write down the all ins (preflop)
      A9 vs 9Ts - lost
      TT vs KJo - lost
      K3s vs J6 - won (was short against short)
      77 vs ATo - won
      TT vs A5o - lost (that one hurt cuz it was 98K pot, 1500 is starting stack), if I won it, I woulve been 4th/12 remaining, I got 7 bucks for 12th (1st was 163,2nd 102 :( ) but when it doesnt go your way ...

just saying that this is standart, the stuff I wrote above still makes me kinda angry
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      You have a tiny sample size. Come back when you've played 10,000 tourneys at the same buy-in / structure.
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      You have a tiny sample size. Come back when you've played 10,000 tourneys at the same buy-in / structure.
      Of course it is a tiny sample size, i understand that fully. Still it seems statistically almost improbable to lose all in after all in even if being ahead most of the time... It was just flustrating to lose one after one (it reminded me of the time when i had a huge downswing on pokerstars - it was basically the same story)

Anyways, I started reading poker mindset, red about 60 pages so far and have positive attitude right now. I also installed (for the first time successfully) HEM, trial version so I will try to find all of the features there and posibbly buy it so i can keep an actual track of all these stats...
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      although i said it is back to normal, it doesnt seem so even according to HEM.
      In last 500 hands, i went all in preflop 13 times ...
      Only once, i was behind, i still won only 6/13 of those, my aces got cracked again by KQ in this sample.... Ok, it is a tiny sample, still it shows that something is off lately...
      Well, it happens, i love HEM so far...even though i know only a few features of it so far. Im def buying it

Thats enough for this thread, i should stop whining