[NL2-NL10] NL5 Rush - Bluffing

• slashng
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with T, 9.
      UTG1 calls $0.05, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.22, 3 folds, UTG1 calls $0.17.

Flop: ($0.51) K, 4, 4 (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $0.35, UTG1 calls $0.35.

Turn: ($1.21) 4 (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.21) Q (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $0.60, UTG1 calls $0.60.

Final Pot: $2.41.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, fours(T 9).
      UTG1 shows a full-house, fours full of queens(J Q).

UTG1 wins with a full-house, fours full of queens(J Q).

Opp's stats not available since sample size is small.

Flop: Bet for bluff since he called my pre-flop raise and most combines is not in the range given the community cards on the board. He most probably have a pocket pairs and most of the time opp will fold if he do not hit his set. He might also have high cards clubs like (Ax, QJ, JT) waiting to hit for a flush draw. KT, KJ, KQ is the only few combos that will hit.

Turn and river, he checks which makes me thinks that he does not hit the K cos most ppl will value bet their K unless he have K with small kicker. He might probably just miss his flush draw. Therefore, I decided to bluff bet again on the river.

I'm trying out new things and I'm not sure whether I'm doing it correctly. Please advice.
  • 2 replies
    • acceleration123
      I´d just give it up after the contibet on the flop. He is likely not giving up after calling you once and if you put him on PPs it doesn´t make much sense to bluff the river because after the turn he has FH. If the turn was different I think you could sometimes consider 2nd barreling there. But pretty bad to try to bluff him out after you checked behind on the turn. My opinion ;)
    • veriz
      Hello slashng,

On those limits it's pretty marginal to bluff. But mainly you win the river vs a FD, don't think that he is like ever going to fold to your 1/2 bet size. If you even want to make him fold some hands like small PPs then you as well have to make it bigger. Although on those limits it's basically just easier not to bluff all when they are calling a lot.

Best regards.