FT or PS to start my poker grind?

• CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I play FR 3$ Speed SNGs at Partypoker with the 50$ from pokerstrategy. Things have been going well im currently at +92$ with a RoI of 13.5%. I also sometimes play 1 game during the session in the 6$ one's. I have a pretty good feeling of what im doing and would like to take a serious shot at poker this summer.

Hence, I will be depositing 600$ on either PS or FT in order to get the full bonus and attempt to clear it. I will however play the 2$ SnGs until I get a good feeling of the new site (games have 9 players and stacks are different). Could someone give me some insight about which site is softer which bonus is easier to clear and if I should play at FT because of the % rakeback that pokerstrategy (love you guys) gives. Does PS get any % rakeback (I know it doesnt from Pokerstrategy but does the site offer any?

From what I have been hearing, apparently the bonus is easier to clear at PS and players are softer. I would be depositing that but the 27% rakeback at FT seems very interesting. However, I did get a 50$ from Pokerstrategy at FT that I busted am I still eligible for a first deposit at FT?

Im leaving to europe with my girlfriend in a week for about 3 weeks. So I will make the deposit when I get back and probably start a serious blog. Also, Im thinking of buying Table Ninja in order to help multitable (Is it really worth it?) and SNG wizard in order to help improve my game.

Sorry for the wall of text and some information that may seem useless but I plan on becoming a very active member in this community during summer and well maybe this might help some people to get to know me :) .

Thanks for your valuable time and information!!

Cheers!
  • 16 replies
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Everybody like's graphs!! Here is my graph from Partypoker!!

Cheers!
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Full Tilt with rakeback.
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Full Tilt with rakeback.
      It's not that simple. For example Stars offers the $15+1 SnGs, and I think FT offers 10+1 and 20+2 fullring SnGs (correct me if I'm wrong).

So for the 10+1: you get 27c back so you pay 73c rake for $10, so it's 7.3% of a BI. Same goes for the 20+2 obviously as the fee is 10% all the same.

For the $16: You get no rakeback, but you pay $1 for a game of $15, so 6.67% of a BI.

Sorry for being OFF, I actually have no clue about the microstakes, but don't choose FT simply because there is rakeback. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm not saying Stars is better, cos the $16 limit has the lowest fee (% of BI-wise) I think, so I deliberately took this as an example: All I'm saying is that you shouldn't go crazy if you hear the word rakeback :) you should look into stuff a bit more before deciding :)

Sorry that I can't help you with this, though I really agree with you that you should get a bigger sample on one of the lower limits before moving up. Also I think it takes a huge amount of SnGs on the $3 limit to clear the FD bonus on Stars.

And I don't think you are eligible for FT FD bonus given the circumstances you described.

Regards,
      akrammon
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      FT offers better rakeback for micros, if you can reach ~platinum or better status on stars, stars has more rakeback.
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ragney
      FT offers better rakeback for micros, if you can reach ~platinum or better status on stars, stars has more rakeback.
      Is the difference considerable and do you know if I can have a first deposit bonus even if I busted the 50$ I got from pokerstrategy.. about a year ago. Also, are the games softer on Full tilt or Pokerstars. I have been looking on forums a lot lately and apparently PS and FT are filled with regs fishs have been drying up because of the legal issues in the USA. Is this true? Can anyone confirm any of this.

Thanks
    • Heave112
      Heave112
      Bronze
      Stars>FT, from my experience, I'm a Goldstar on Pokerstars, aswell as a Goldstar on this site back when It was much harder to obtain and was playing on William Hill,on stars I play NL25 9max , with some 4.40$ 180 mans, the tourneys are as soft as hell I'm up 650$+, as well as the cash game tables. Make sure you dont overplay your bankroll since I just got a 350$ downswing, coolers,badbeats,+10 tabling can do this to you. I also use Holdem Manager Pro Edition, which I happily purchased from the pokerstrategy.com Shop. I wouldn't even think of entering a table without it. There currently is a 600$ deposit bonus from stars also, that + the FPP's you can use to enter tournaments, or use to receive cash later when you are a higher rank works.
      Stars is the way to go for me, I prefer their software to FTP anyways. Bigger MTT and SNG traffic by a mile. I've played @ FTP also so I know what im talking about.
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Heave112
      Stars>FT, from my experience, I'm a Goldstar on Pokerstars, aswell as a Goldstar on this site back when It was much harder to obtain and was playing on William Hill,on stars I play NL25 9max , with some 4.40$ 180 mans, the tourneys are as soft as hell I'm up 650$+, as well as the cash game tables. Make sure you dont overplay your bankroll since I just got a 350$ downswing, coolers,badbeats,+10 tabling can do this to you. I also use Holdem Manager Pro Edition, which I happily purchased from the pokerstrategy.com Shop. I wouldn't even think of entering a table without it. There currently is a 600$ deposit bonus from stars also, that + the FPP's you can use to enter tournaments, or use to receive cash later when you are a higher rank works.
      Stars is the way to go for me, I prefer their software to FTP anyways. Bigger MTT and SNG traffic by a mile. I've played @ FTP also so I know what im talking about.

Thanks a lot this is the kind of advice I was looking for. As far as HEM goes, is poker tracker 3 about the same thing? Im thinking of picking up the 60day trial once I start grinding and maybe buy one of these softwares once my BR starts increasing.

Thanks!
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      You don't have to worry about action on either of those sites. There is none.
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      You don't have to worry about action on either of those sites. There is none.
      bad trolll is bad at trolling
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze

As far as HEM goes, is poker tracker 3 about the same thing? Im thinking of picking up the 60day trial once I start grinding and maybe buy one of these softwares once my BR starts increasing.

Thanks!
      Nope. As long as you are playing SnGs I'd suggest HEM. Until you reach a higher limit where you have thousands of samples on the regs, HEM offers much more customizeable filtering for the stats, which is very useful.

Without these filters the whole program is just for determining whether a player is looseish or tightish. And a progam like this has a lot more potential than that.

With PT you can only filter by blind levels, needs a huge sample to make any sense.
      With HEM you can customize anything tht fits your sample size. IMO.

But I've only had a 60-day experience with PT.
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CHARMANDER06
      Originally posted by ragney
      Is the difference considerable and do you know if I can have a first deposit bonus even if I busted the 50$ I got from pokerstrategy.. about a year ago. Also, are the games softer on Full tilt or Pokerstars. I have been looking on forums a lot lately and apparently PS and FT are filled with regs fishs have been drying up because of the legal issues in the USA. Is this true? Can anyone confirm any of this.

Thanks
      You still have first deposit bonus if you never deposit anything by yourself.

My advice would be just play on both, they are both good. Deposit $600 on FT, clear bonus, cash out, deposit $600 on stars and clear bonus. After this pick your favorite software. Tables are same on both sites, all filled with regs so you need to select your tables well to be facing the weaker regs or/and fishes.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by akrammon
      Nope. As long as you are playing SnGs I'd suggest HEM. Until you reach a higher limit where you have thousands of samples on the regs, HEM offers much more customizeable filtering for the stats, which is very useful.
      I would suggest you use PT3 for the exact same reason. Weird.

With PT3 it is much easier to filter out your various SNG results and to get (or build) stats for situations that actual matter in SNG and MTT play. If you are only going to play 1-table SNGs then maybe HEM is acceptable for a while, but why pay for something that you are going to quickly outgrow?
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Originally posted by akrammon
      I would suggest you use PT3 for the exact same reason. Weird.

With PT3 it is much easier to filter out your various SNG results and to get (or build) stats for situations that actual matter in SNG and MTT play. If you are only going to play 1-table SNGs then maybe HEM is acceptable for a while, but why pay for something that you are going to quickly outgrow?
      Im really thinking of getting the PT3 trial for summer and subscribe to sharkscope for 2 months. Sharkscope must be incredibly +EV when picking tables right?
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CHARMANDER06
      Im really thinking of getting the PT3 trial for summer and subscribe to sharkscope for 2 months. Sharkscope must be incredibly +EV when picking tables right?
      I don't play 1-table SNGs so I don't use it that much for table selection. I do tend to look up the players at the final table since often I won't have a read of 3-4 of them.

If you aren't playing MTT SNGs then I highly suggest you play around with them a bit. Despite the scary looking payout structure they are actually quite soft even at Stars/Tilt. Check out Aaron's videos on the 180mans to give you an idea of the small differences in play.

Edit: If you go with PT3 you'll want to spend a little time on their forums grabbing all of the custom stats people make. It takes some effort but you can get popups with people's actual ranges and stuff. Just about any sort of real-time information you want if you put in some effort.
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      As far as Im concerned PT3 only allows filtering by blind levels. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      I have stats for stack size ranges, known cards, SPR values and a bunch of other stuff I hardly even understand.

There are a few things that can't be built yet, like exact positional stats for 6-max, bust most of the stuff that is already built already will never exist in HEM.

Most people are just too lazy to bother with it. They just get by with VP$IP and PFR.