Calling stations

• josvdk
      josvdk
      Bronze
      How should you play vs calling stations? (NL 2)

The calling station plays very loose. He is seeing lots of flops and wont get away if he hits (i even saw him calling a bet on the turn to bluf on the river with absolutely nothing).

I've won some big pots while playing against him. He is now calling all my pf raises and keeps calling my barrels down. (it is possible he was tilting, but still with huge profits). We were 300 BB deep.

How should you approach this?

- play tighter? If youre AK doesn't hit anything you should check-fold, he will call c-bets down. You have to wait really long before you hit anything and you shouldn't go all-in with top pair top kicker right?

- or play looser? limp all connectors, suited aces and all small pp. You have huge pot odds, because he is never betting the flop. And when you do hit, he is likely to stack you off.
  • 7 replies
    • Bogdan1190
      Bogdan1190
      Bronze
      since he is verry passive if you don't hit and you have just overcards or draws play passive as well since he is calling, c-beting doesnt work against him.
      When you hit value bet every street with TPTK or better.
      Use the standard SHC preflop and ajust to your opponent post flop.

why limp all that becouse when you don't hit the majority of the time you will still get called and you will lose a lot of money that way.

Play standard at NL2 when you hit you value bet when you dont hit you play passive and according to odds % outs.

Bogdan,
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      Value betting is the way to succes to beat the micro stakes.
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      So you raise pre and see a flop:

A) You miss completly:
      I'd cbet and pretty much give up if he calls. However if no obvious draw gets there by the river and i have no showdown value whatsoever im just gonna stab for 1/3 of pot on the riv and hope for the best.

B) You hit a pair or better:
      Just value bet the crap out of him.

C) Draw
      Cbet, check the turn and stab river if you miss. If you have a really sick draw (like K :diamond: Q :diamond: on J :diamond: T :diamond: 3 :club: flop) i'd be betting all the way because i have so much equity that i'd jizz in my pants after the flop.

Imo
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by Alficor1

A) You miss completly:
      I'd cbet and pretty much give up if he calls. However if no obvious draw gets there by the river and i have no showdown value whatsoever im just gonna stab for 1/3 of pot on the riv and hope for the best.

Imo
      You're other points are sound but point 1 is a mega leak - There's no point in bluffing a calling station, you may as well just hand him $0.20 each hand if he can't fold some random trash that beats your A high..

Just wait till you hit or have good equity and value bet the crap outta them. Fold immediately if they play back at you and you don't have the nuts. Easy game.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wurble
      Originally posted by Alficor1

A) You miss completly:

Imo
      You're other points are sound but point 1 is a mega leak - There's no point in bluffing a calling station, you may as well just hand him $0.20 each hand if he can't fold some random trash that beats your A high..

Just wait till you hit or have good equity and value bet the crap outta them. Fold immediately if they play back at you and you don't have the nuts. Easy game.
      +1
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wurble

I said i'd stab the riv for 1/3 the pot with hand with no showdown value (thats like Ten hi or worse) knowing he's never folding a pair. That bet is small enough to make the bluff profitable in the long run knowing he's always calling with ace hi or better but folding king hi or worse. Obv if you have a read that he's some kind of ultimate sheriff then yea, dont bet at when u have nothing.
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      Originally posted by josvdk
      (i even saw him calling a bet on the turn to bluf on the river with absolutely nothing).
      Sometimes it might make sense if you know you can get your opponent to fold ... usually its not with absolutely nothing though