5 dollars lost in 2 Bad Beats on NL $0.02/0.04 tables

• Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      Oh... my... goodness...

It's half an hour to go for a PartyPoker freeroll, so I decide to warm up a little by playing on a short-handed NL table as that's where I usually rake the most hands while increasing my bankroll cent by cent.

The guy to the left of me is the typical loose calling station, and what's more annoying is that he always goes All-In on the River, and thus often doesn't get looked up.

[EDIT]: What I wrote here is a BIT wrong... -_- Check lower for the hand history.

So here I get dealt Pocket 8's, so I make a small standard raise, 2 guys call. The flop comes with another 8, giving me the set. Great I think, let's milk them a bit. So I make a small bet, half the pot. As expected, the guy to the left calls, the third guy folds. The turn comes, I see no threat in it, so I make another bet with the same value. The guy calls, as expected. The River comes with a second 3 on the board, but somehow I didn't notice it. I make my usual bet, and as expected, the guy goes All-In. I have my set, so I call with my 2 dollars... and that idiot hit the Full House on the River with his 8 3 offsuit!

I'm disgusted, so I change the table to another short-handed one. I watch a few hands while I wait for the Big Blind, notice no real threat. The button moves over the table and here I get dealt Pocket Aces on the BB!

The guy to my left immediately goes All-In. Well, I guess he got a pair, but mine should be better, so I call with my 3 dollars. And this happens:

** Dealing Flop ** [ Th, 6h, Jc ]
      ** Dealing Turn ** [ Kc ]
      ** Dealing River ** [ Tc ]
      L1951 shows [ Kd, Ks ]a full house, Kings full of Tens.
      DrakhorT doesn't show [ Ac, Ad ]two pairs, Aces and Tens.
      L1951 wins $1.62 USD from side pot #1 with a full house, Kings full of Tens.
      L1951 wins $6.18 USD from the main pot with a full house, Kings full of Tens.
      Where's the nuke button when you need one?
  • 8 replies
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Khm. Didn-t zou have a full house too in the first hand? 88833???
    • zamwise
      zamwise
      Silver
      If it is like this:

player 1 has: 88
      player 2 has: 83

Board: 8 X Y 3 3

Player 1 has 88833
      Player 2 has 33388

So player one wins.

Just stay calm and check again how that hand went all the way. Post it here if you find the full hand history for it someway.
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      Doh, I just checked my hand history and I was mixing something up there. Today is REALLY not my day apparently. Here's what happened:

DrakhorT posts big blind [$0.04 USD]
      Dealt to DrakhorT [ 5d 8c ]
      ** Dealing Flop ** [ Ks, 8d, 8h ]
      ZONKOMANIA bets [$0.04 USD]
      DrakhorT raises [$0.08 USD]
      ZONKOMANIA calls [$0.04 USD]
      ** Dealing Turn ** [ As ]
      ZONKOMANIA checks
      DrakhorT bets [$0.08 USD]
      ZONKOMANIA calls [$0.08 USD]
      ** Dealing River ** [ 3c ]
      ZONKOMANIA checks
      DrakhorT bets [$0.20 USD]
      ZONKOMANIA is all-In [$2.33 USD]
      DrakhorT is all-In [$1.70 USD]
      DrakhorT shows [ 5d, 8c ]three of a kind, Eights.
      ZONKOMANIA shows [ 3d, 3h ]a full house, Threes full of Eights.
      ZONKOMANIA wins $0.43 USD from side pot #1 with a full house, Threes full of Eights.
      ZONKOMANIA wins $4.07 USD from the main pot with a full house, Threes full of Eights.
      I knew there was a pocket pair of 8s. :P Sorry, my bad really...

Oh well, nevermind. It was still a bad beat. :/
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      I knew there was a pocket pair of 8s. Zunge raus Sorry, my bad really...

where are the pocket 8's?

Anyway, it was not such a sick beat. I wouldn't raise 85o tbh, because of these situations. Actually, there weren't many hands you had beat there. I would also have raised 2/3 pot on flop (12), and 2/3 on turn to protect against the flush (20).
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      ** Dealing Flop ** [ Ks, 8d, 8h ] <--- 2 8's (pocket pair on the board :P ), giving me the set with my 5 8 os against his 2 pairs of 8 and 3.

And like I said, this guy called EVERYTHING, and then the All-In on the River. He got looked up three times by some short stacks (I think one had 50 cents, the other one 85 cents, so no real loss for him), and three times he was bluffing.

But the one time he wasn't... -_-
    • Bizaxta
      Bizaxta
      Bronze
      Just don't play 85o and you won't run into this problem.
    • zamwise
      zamwise
      Silver
      Originally posted by Drakhor
      ** Dealing Flop ** [ Ks, 8d, 8h ] <--- 2 8's (pocket pair on the board :P ), giving me the set with my 5 8 os against his 2 pairs of 8 and 3.

And like I said, this guy called EVERYTHING, and then the All-In on the River. He got looked up three times by some short stacks (I think one had 50 cents, the other one 85 cents, so no real loss for him), and three times he was bluffing.

If the board pairs up it's not a pocket pair :)

A pocket pair is a pair that a player has as his hole cards.

And a set is this: player has a pocket pair and one of the same number cards is on the board, player has hit a set. If you hold one card and two are on the board, it's called trips.

And last thing, this player was smart, he played first so that you got a wrong image of him, then he made you to make a bad call. He pushed all-in with the best hand and you called thinking he was bluffing again. Be aware of that when you start to think that way again of some player.

Hope this helps, good luck at the tables and spend some time reading too :)

-- Z --

PS: if you really really hard want to play 85o, raise, reraise, push all-in or fold, it's almost never worth of a CALL. It's always ok to fold :)
    • Wildknight
      Wildknight
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zamwise
      Originally posted by Drakhor

If the board pairs up it's not a pocket pair :)

A pocket pair is a pair that a player has as his hole cards.

And a set is this: player has a pocket pair and one of the same number cards is on the board, player has hit a set. If you hold one card and two are on the board, it's called trips.

And last thing, this player was smart, he played first so that you got a wrong image of him, then he made you to make a bad call. He pushed all-in with the best hand and you called thinking he was bluffing again. Be aware of that when you start to think that way again of some player.

Hope this helps, good luck at the tables and spend some time reading too :)

-- Z --

PS: if you really really hard want to play 85o, raise, reraise, push all-in or fold, it's almost never worth of a CALL. It's always ok to fold :)

EXACTLY! plus don't play 85o.