Someone plays Pot Limit???

• ElArmenio
      ElArmenio
      Bronze
      Hello, i have played on NL and now am on FL, but i was wondering if someone can tell me something about Pot Limit, diferences and strategy stuff.
      Thanks...
  • 5 replies
    • bl1nd
      bl1nd
      Global
      Pot limit is pretty similar to No limit the difference is that ur limited only to bet the pot as a maximum

In pot limit u can play a looser strategy u can play more draws and pay preflop with Suited Connectors AXs etc

U gotta be more careful with your top pocket pairs like AA KK

In pot limit since u can only bet the pot sometimes too many ppl limps into flops your premium hands lose value...

The main difference is not being able to protect your hands more by overbetting for example a guy raises the pot to 10$ u reraise pot to 20$ after 3 or 4 reraise lets say u have AA he has QQ he is going to just call and realize he is beaten... Or lets say u have QQ vs AK a guy can just call the first reraise wait if he flops the ace or better and then ur screwed

Lets say u get AA in UTG and ur playing 0,50$ / 1$ ull be able only to bet 2,50$ and at least 2 or 3 can limp in a guy with 99 limps in gets the set and then ur done

Position plays a bigger role
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze

Pot limit is pretty similar to No limit the difference is that ur limited only to bet the pot as a maximum

In pot limit u can play a looser strategy u can play more draws and pay preflop with Suited Connectors AXs etc
      Why play more draws and marginal hands? You're not getting better odds, since bets & raises are pretty much the same size as in NL.

U gotta be more careful with your top pocket pairs like AA KK
      Raises _are_ possible in Pot-Limit. It's not the 1/2BB difference between your standard 4bb raise and the max. pot that will change anything.

In pot limit since u can only bet the pot sometimes too many ppl limps into flops your premium hands lose value...

see above.

The main difference is not being able to protect your hands more by overbetting for example a guy raises the pot to 10$ u reraise pot to 20$

A pot reraise here would be 40$. 3* the opponent's bet + the pot.

after 3 or 4 reraise lets say u have AA he has QQ he is going to just call and realize he is beaten...
      If fish don't realize in NL that a QQ overpair isn't the nuts, they won't in PL either...

Or lets say u have QQ vs AK a guy can just call the first reraise wait if he flops the ace or better and then ur screwed
      Ever thought about folding your QQ when overcards come?

Lets say u get AA in UTG and ur playing 0,50$ / 1$ ull be able only to bet 2,50$ and at least 2 or 3 can limp in a guy with 99 limps in gets the set and then ur done
      Max raise is 3.5$, not 2.5. If you get called by 3 or 4 opponents and get lots of action on the flop, you're usually against a set. Whether it's NL or PL.
      Position plays a bigger role[/quote]Sorry for the bashing, I'm too tired to be nice :D

Anywho, ElArmenio: There isn't much difference between PL and NL when you play BSS. However with a shortstack it isn't quite so ideal. You can't push 1.5 times the pot or w/e. But it doesn't really change that much. Worst is in tournaments I guess, since in NL when you're below 10BB it's basically push/fold when in PL you have to either raise 3.5BB and go all-in on the flop regardless, or limp/re-raise
      Basically, I'd say stick with NL, it's easier
    • bl1nd
      bl1nd
      Global
      I guess u haven played any pot limit at all and u havent read anything about pot limit...

The fact that u cant overbet the pot makes it perfect for drawing cards even more when u have 3 or 4 drawers

If u ever play pot limit ull see most ppl just limps in on every pot must of the times your raises only work to make more ppl limp in for pot odds

Everybody starts talking about pot limit and he even dares to correct me without even being a PL players when live i only play Pot limit cash games NL500

But good luck playing the same hands u play in SSS NL but in PL

Heh...

PD: Pretty funny how the guy thinks he has to play poker like a robot and says the correct raise here is this and not this lol...
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by bl1nd
      The fact that u cant overbet the pot makes it perfect for drawing cards even more when u have 3 or 4 drawers
      Granted you can't overbet, but then again you almost never see this in NL. Betting pot gives only 2:1 odds to opponents, whether it's PL or NL. This is only enough for a draw if you can extract a >2/3 PSB on later streets EVERY time you hit.

But good luck playing the same hands u play in SSS NL but in PL

If you read my previous post, you'll see that I advised against PL for SSS, since it relies on the occasional over-bet. And I don't play SSS, but bigstack shorthanded, among other variants.

he even dares to correct me without even being a PL players

How do you know I'm not a PL player? I happen to play a lot of PL omaha (hi or 8/B), and from time to time HA (mixed PLH/PLO).

PD: Pretty funny how the guy thinks he has to play poker like a robot and says the correct raise here is this and not this lol...

Where did I say that I thought one has to play like a robot? I corrected your mistakes about maximum possible raise sizes, according to Pot-Limit rules, plus an easy way to calculate them, if you play live.

Oh and by the way you should learn that it's incredibly rude to talk of someone in the third person when talking to them/in their presence.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      shh swiss, the guy plays "NL500" pot limit live. he must be way better than you

/sarcasm.