DanofDerby here

• DanMeaks
      DanMeaks
      Bronze
      Hello, my name is Dan and as you can probably guess I'm from Derby, England.

Just wanted to introduce myself, since there is a place for it.

Hope to learn how to play poker the correct way here, i play MTT's and very rarely join the ring games. I enjoy the competition with MTT's and the stacking up, with ring games, i don't know if it's because i play micro stakes but it feels to much like play money in there. I play at fulltilt.

SnG's are my favourite, i play the $3 games and have achieved a few cashes (top 9) but not enough to say i've become a competent player. In fact, I'm not really sure of my skill level. But i'm not quite a beginner and not quite average. Certainly not a profitable player.

Only started playing poker with friends about 4 years a go, then started online 22 weeks ago according to my rakebackpro's account. Formally posted on FTP site but has that been shut down?

Anyway, hope to become a profitable player whilst hanging out here!
  • 2 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Dan,

I went to University in Sheffield which (for anybody not from England) is a stones throw away from Derby. I was actually spotted in a street and approached to be an actor in a film in Derby. I got there and it was a one man film, i.e only me who was in the film. Was obviously beyond tilted! Have been to Derby 3/4 times following Newcastle United.

Anyway enough about me, this is your thread :D

It's a shame that you don;t think you are a profitable player, however that is probably the first step you need to take to winning moniez, so many people are deluded and think they are miles better than they are, actually in poker I'd say over 95% of people think they are better than they actually are.

Good luck and keep us up with your progress to a winnign player.
    • DanMeaks
      DanMeaks
      Bronze
      To follow Newcastle United eh, you've not had much luck then. We always seem to beat you (or any of the top most teams) and lose to the likes of Scunthorpe and Doncaster.

Was there actually a film or was you 'bluffed'?

I've got a few poker books to read, Phil Helmuths, Doyle Brunson and various others over the coming months. After a bit of inspiration from another poster here have decided to educate myself in the art of poker. I'll still play, because i feel learning position is of up most importance. I'm very weak with that at the moment.

Are there any books anybody could recommend me regarding strategy and position? I have scanned over the starting hand chart this site provides, but I'm not sure if that's specifically for ring games.

Anyway, could take a while, but over the course of the next year or so i hope at least if i'm not profitable i'm at least breaking even.

All this whilst studying psychology :rolleyes: