Cold Calling

• brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      I have read this is just plain wrong to do and never should be done albeit on rare circumstances it may be profitable. As I look on the strategy articles presented on this site I am seeing cold calling done alot even on a silver article in BSS says it can be a "profitable" play,

I am always re-raising alot b/c of past things I have read about cold calling and maybe thats something I can change in my game. I just figure if I am going to enter a hand it may as well be a raise to keep aggresive, so If there is 1 limper in front and I have a hand I'll stick in a re-raise almost always, mind you this changes obviously if there is one more limper, anyway..I am hoping so veteran poker players on PS.com can give me their opinion on cold calling.

Thanks.
  • 6 replies
    • WiNzett
      WiNzett
      Bronze
      I'm also quite curious what veteran players have to say about this.

From my understanding i know that cold calling with a pocket pair is okay. I prsonally also cold call if i have OESD or flush draw and calling is cheap enough.
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      First I have to correct you. If there is a limper, you can only raise (not re-raise), because there was no initial raise. ;) But yes...if there is a limper it usually means he is a poor player, so you can definately raise to isolate him. It is a standard move... Even if there are two limpers it is better to raise if you have a playable hand or fold if you don't.

In general there are two kinds of card groups you can (they can also be played agressively - depending on your opponent) cold call after a raise: small pocket pairs (follow the CALL20 rule) and suited connectors. But than you play without initiative, so you fold if you don't hit on the flop.
      Other hands should be played agressively, that way we can take down many hands on the flop (even if we don't hit) with a continuation bet.

Hope that helps a little.

EDIT: I assumed you were talking about NL Hold'em.
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TiciBoy
      First I have to correct you. If there is a limper, you can only raise (not re-raise), because there was no initial raise. ;) But yes...if there is a limper it usually means he is a poor player, so you can definately raise to isolate him. It is a standard move... Even if there are two limpers it is better to raise if you have a playable hand or fold if you don't.

In general there are two kinds of card groups you can (they can also be played agressively - depending on your opponent) cold call after a raise: small pocket pairs (follow the CALL20 rule) and suited connectors. But than you play without initiative, so you fold if you don't hit on the flop.
      Other hands should be played agressively, that way we can take down many hands on the flop (even if we don't hit) with a continuation bet.

Hope that helps a little.

EDIT: I assumed you were talking about NL Hold'em.
      As a complement, I think there is also the possibility that you might exploit some kind of tendency that your particular opponent has to check to you after re-raising OOP on a flop that doesn't connect well with his range.

It requires some history with the opponent and relates more with exploitation.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Cold calling is generally bad because we aren't closing the action and because we have almost instantly told everybody we have a pocket pair that will fold to a 4bet we can be exploited alot.

For example, good player opens, aggro player 3bets the button, we cold call the small blind.

The good player can now 4bet pretty light more profitably as there is more money in the pot meaning it has to work a smaller % of the time to be profitable. If he was just doing it vs one raise then it would have to work a higher % of the time, and the fact you are going to fold a huge % of the time and that the buttons 5b range won't go up significantly makes it a much easier decision. Alsom we have no inititive in the hand, if we are planning on c/r a bunch of flop then it can sometimes be ok, but if we are only going to c/r when we hit a set we will get exploited so much by our opponents.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well i personally think its pretty bad to isolate limpers with 22-77, especially if there are multiple limpers before you. You get almost no folds preflop since they usually limp call unless you got reads that they l/f a lot in which case your hand doesn't really matter.

Now on flop you almost always end up with an underpair to the board with no idea where you at since you don't hit a set often enough. To try and barrel for thin value/protection is pretty bad since you don't know where your at because his calling a wide range and you only have 2 outs when ever your against a pair or your in a 60-40 situation when his calling with draws.

The other option is to try to get to showdown cheap, but if he decides to bet turn and river your basically playing a guessing game against a fish which really isn't the way to go and calling down is pretty bad since they value bet more often then bluff.

On the other hand you really dont mind playing for set value against a fish that doesn't like folding and you don't really mind playing a multiway pot since you either hit the flop hard or not at all.
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      What about a limp from MP and were in CO or BTN? Can we isolate with the 22-77 then?