Qualifiers

• redwarf01
      redwarf01
      Bronze
      Hello, I would like to know what is the optimal play for shortstack, midstack and big stack on the bubble in a SNG qualifier. Lets say there are three players left, all playing push or fold and there are two places winning an entry. Therefore I think according to the ICM there is not much value in accumulating chips and Hero should push and call pushes little tighter than in a normal SNG. But how much? And is there any difference if Hero has a shortstack, bigstack or middlestack? Thx
  • 1 reply
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Some of your intuition is good. There isn't any direct value in accumulating chips on the bubble of a satellite, although accumulating chips is sometimes the way to survive. However, this does not mean you should always push more tightly than in a SNG where there is a difference between first and second place. As I pointed out in my video "The Golden Rule," your game theoretically optimal SB pushing range gets wider as you add risk aversion to all players except when the BB covers you by a lot. You might not want to get called, but the BB doesn't want to risk getting knocked out by calling you, so even if he knows you have a wide range he can't call very often in theory.

As usual, the stack sizes (relative to each other) make a huge difference. A big stack is not very risk-averse against a much smaller stack. The smallest stack is more risk-averse against the biggest stack than against the medium stack.

You can study this situation with the Nash calculator at Holdemresources.net or with the registered version of my program ICM Explorer or with SNG Wizard.