Super turbos and ICM

• biogas
      biogas
      Gold
      After spending some time with ICM trainer, I decided to put theory into practise and gave it a go with 1$ 9max superturbos on FTP. After 2.5K hands I noticed that something is not going well. The thing is that my average all in EV pushes are nearly 50%, also the EV$ adjusted graph on HM is nearly flat. And most of the pushes are OK with ICM trainer suggested ranges. But as theory says, fliping in sng is EV$ negative.
      So the question is do I need to tighten up my open push ranges quite a bit, or somehow change ICM trainer settings so I am more likely to get into 60-40 situations. The possibililty of other players knowing the correct range of a call is quite low on this limit, as most of these callers still plays postflop poker.
  • 2 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      When you push, you are not trying to get into 50:50 situations, or 60:40. Generally you are trying to take the blinds. The marginal pushing hands are those such that the benefits from taking the blinds some of the time balance the cost of getting called some of the time.

You shouldn't be adjusting the Nash equilibrium ranges due to the ICM. The Nash equilibrium already takes the ICM into account. You should adjust your ranges if you have a read (not a fear) that your opponents play differently from the Nash equilibrium in some way.

Note that it is a common idea that people call absurdly widely in low stakes SNGs, but a more complicated pattern emerges when you look at actual data. See my video "Super Turbo Ranges." If you adjust to a pattern which does not exist, say by tightening up in fear of spite calls when your opponents are actually calling tightly on average, then you cost yourself a lot of equity by failing to make highly profitable pushes. This is a common error in low stakes games.
    • biogas
      biogas
      Gold
      Unfortunaltely, the stakes I am playing does not allow to reach gold status for the video.
      But I was wondering if those marginal pushes and calls are any good in the beggining of the super turbo sng? Lets say if I push from the BU with small PP or baby ace I am prety sure getting flip if called. And if not called I win quite a small amount of chips (though I should admint these few chips sometimes was enough to survive after losing a flip).