This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

What's the % of this happening

• Kruvi45
      Kruvi45
      Bronze
      Hey all,

Not sure if that's the correct place to ask this, but I'm having a bit of a difficulty calculating the probability of the below set of events.
      We thought it was a pretty unique occurrence which shouldn’t really happen too often, so just wondering what’s the % chance of all of this coming together.
      Basically I think there were 3 players in the hand (if not an issue please also say how big is the chance with 6 players)

Everyone got pocket pairs (22, 33 and JJ)
      All went all in and everyone hit a set on the flop straight away (so trips for everyone)
      Turn & River cards didn’t add or change anything.
      I know the general odds of getting a pocket pair or hitting a set, however for 3 people to get pockets and also hitting on flop in the same hand shouldn’t really happen too often I suppose ?

Anyways we had a great laugh over it and just wondering how many hands we need to play for it to happen again (and that time hopefully I’ll have JJ+ rather than 33)

Also is there a probability calculator which lets you input hands like this and find out the %.
      Maybe I didn't know where to look but all I saw concentrated on finding out your winning percentage/equity and stuff like that.
      This way I won’t have to trouble again with a trivial curiosity issue.

Thanks in advance.
  • 1 reply
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Well, there are 52 cards in the deck, and three sets of hole cards have been dealt, leaving 46. Of those 46, there are two that would make a set for one of you, so the chance of one of you getting a set is 2/46 or 1/23. For all three of you to make a set, the chances are 1/23 * 1/23 * 1/23, or 1/23 cubed. Calculate that number in decimal form and then multiply by 100 to get the percentage.

I hope I got that right, but I got 54% as a final mark in 12th grade math, so very likely I'm wrong.