This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

What is csonsidered a good ROI for SnG's?

• 11 replies
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      you can start just thinking about ROI after 1-2k tournaments played. However, since SNG`s are very swingy 5k tournaments is probably the point where you can think about conclusions.

but answering to your question, 7-10% would be a great result for beginner.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi ND1955!

It seems like you don't stick to the rules of proper bankroll management. Please read our new SNG strategy articles: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/#basic

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • ND1955
      ND1955
      Bronze
      I just read it. I didn't know I had access to this strategy.

Thanks. Now that I realize this, I have my bankroll up to almost $360. What do I do now? Can I continue to play the $5.50 SnG and try to move up to the $11 SnG?
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      according to the BRM article, you could move up to the 10+1$, but some prefer a more conservative approach. Have a look at helemaalnick's thread, you can see 30BI swings aren't impossible ;)
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      i like 100 buy ins. 50 is the absolute minimum. Actually. 100 Buy ins is my minimum to even play a level. I do 110, then move down as soon as I hit 100 BI. But i might be a pussy :D . I just think this way "**** you pokerstrategy, im not taking any risk like that because you guys say 50 buy ins is enough, i do whatever the **** i want". Anyway, I want the odds of me going broke to be very close to 0%
    • ND1955
      ND1955
      Bronze
      I like helemaalnicks approach. (Sorry if I spelt that wrong)

I think I'm getting pretty good at these tournaments. Not yet as good as you are, but I'm getting ROI of almost 70% so far for the first 80 tournaments.

My bankroll is now over $400. But boy is it ever hard to cash out the $100 Bonus dollars PS has given me on Mansion. I only have ~300 MCP's and I require 2200 MCP's!!!!! At this rate, I will have to play at least 600 tournaments before I can cash out the $100. Which shoujldn't be hard if I follow your 100BI strat to prevent myself from going Bankrupt.

I also like how you set your goals each month. I don't know about you, but I can only play 2 tournaments at one time because I seem to do better. I can play 3 or 4 but I don't win as much. Maybe I just need a bigger computer monitor instead of this 14" Laptop.

BTW, I like reading your posts helemaalnicks. Very interesting to me because I want to be where you are in a few months IF POSSIBLE.

ND
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      assuming your real ROI on the tournaments is 70% 2-at-a-time (which isn't impossible, i played some tourns drunk on a friend's account and picked up 2 1sts and 2 no-placings in a set of 4... they are VERY soft).. then you only need a real ROI of 40% playing 4-at-a-time for it to be more worth it.

personally these days i find my ROI goes down if i'm playing less tournaments, as i then get extremely bored and play more marginal hands.
    • ND1955
      ND1955
      Bronze
      I just tried 4 at a time this morning. First 4, none in the money.

Second set of 4, I got in the money twice (1st, and 2nd).

But of course, of the 6 I lost, 4 were all in where I was dominating. IE, JJvs1010. AQ vs A2. and on and on...

But that's fine, I don't seem to have a problem concentrating as much. Of course, I do lose my focus more than playing 2 a time...
    • ND1955
      ND1955
      Bronze
      Okay, so I tried to slim it down a bit after the first 8 tournies...

I lost the first 4...
      The second set, I Finished in the money 2 times (1st and 2nd)...

I started to play 3 tournies...

First set (out of money, 1st, 2nd)

Second set (same thing Out, 1st, 2nd)

Third set (same thing out, 1st, 2nd)

I'll continue with the three for a while, then go up to 4 again...

Bankroll is over $500 now...
    • ND1955
      ND1955
      Bronze
      This is weird...

I tried playing 4 tournies again...

3 OUT of MONEY, and 1 first.

Then I went back to 3 again...

a) 1st, 3rd, 3rd
      b) 1st, 3rd, 3rd
      c) 2nd, 1st, Out of money

3 seems to be the lucky number for me. Everytime I try four, I end up losing money, or up a bit.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      yeah eveyrone has their limit to how many they can concentrate on.

i personally "only" play 4 because while i can handle up to 16 in the early stages, when it gets to pre-ICM/bubble stage where table reads are kind of important, if i made it that far in 4 tournaments it's already very tough.

if i donk out early though, i'm opening up another table.. slowly progressing from "sets" to the more continuous kind i think.