What is csonsidered a good ROI for SnG's?

• 11 replies
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      you can start just thinking about ROI after 1-2k tournaments played. However, since SNG`s are very swingy 5k tournaments is probably the point where you can think about conclusions.

but answering to your question, 7-10% would be a great result for beginner.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi ND1955!

It seems like you don't stick to the rules of proper bankroll management. Please read our new SNG strategy articles: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/#basic

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • ND1955
      ND1955
      Bronze
      I just read it. I didn't know I had access to this strategy.

Thanks. Now that I realize this, I have my bankroll up to almost $360. What do I do now? Can I continue to play the $5.50 SnG and try to move up to the $11 SnG?
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      according to the BRM article, you could move up to the 10+1$, but some prefer a more conservative approach. Have a look at helemaalnick's thread, you can see 30BI swings aren't impossible ;)
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      i like 100 buy ins. 50 is the absolute minimum. Actually. 100 Buy ins is my minimum to even play a level. I do 110, then move down as soon as I hit 100 BI. But i might be a pussy :D . I just think this way "**** you pokerstrategy, im not taking any risk like that because you guys say 50 buy ins is enough, i do whatever the **** i want". Anyway, I want the odds of me going broke to be very close to 0%
    • ND1955
      ND1955
      Bronze
      I like helemaalnicks approach. (Sorry if I spelt that wrong)

I think I'm getting pretty good at these tournaments. Not yet as good as you are, but I'm getting ROI of almost 70% so far for the first 80 tournaments.

My bankroll is now over $400. But boy is it ever hard to cash out the $100 Bonus dollars PS has given me on Mansion. I only have ~300 MCP's and I require 2200 MCP's!!!!! At this rate, I will have to play at least 600 tournaments before I can cash out the $100. Which shoujldn't be hard if I follow your 100BI strat to prevent myself from going Bankrupt.

I also like how you set your goals each month. I don't know about you, but I can only play 2 tournaments at one time because I seem to do better. I can play 3 or 4 but I don't win as much. Maybe I just need a bigger computer monitor instead of this 14" Laptop.

BTW, I like reading your posts helemaalnicks. Very interesting to me because I want to be where you are in a few months IF POSSIBLE.

ND
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      assuming your real ROI on the tournaments is 70% 2-at-a-time (which isn't impossible, i played some tourns drunk on a friend's account and picked up 2 1sts and 2 no-placings in a set of 4... they are VERY soft).. then you only need a real ROI of 40% playing 4-at-a-time for it to be more worth it.

personally these days i find my ROI goes down if i'm playing less tournaments, as i then get extremely bored and play more marginal hands.
    • ND1955
      ND1955
      Bronze
      I just tried 4 at a time this morning. First 4, none in the money.

Second set of 4, I got in the money twice (1st, and 2nd).

But of course, of the 6 I lost, 4 were all in where I was dominating. IE, JJvs1010. AQ vs A2. and on and on...

But that's fine, I don't seem to have a problem concentrating as much. Of course, I do lose my focus more than playing 2 a time...
    • ND1955
      ND1955
      Bronze
      Okay, so I tried to slim it down a bit after the first 8 tournies...

I lost the first 4...
      The second set, I Finished in the money 2 times (1st and 2nd)...

I started to play 3 tournies...

First set (out of money, 1st, 2nd)

Second set (same thing Out, 1st, 2nd)

Third set (same thing out, 1st, 2nd)

I'll continue with the three for a while, then go up to 4 again...

Bankroll is over $500 now...
    • ND1955
      ND1955
      Bronze
      This is weird...

I tried playing 4 tournies again...

3 OUT of MONEY, and 1 first.

Then I went back to 3 again...

a) 1st, 3rd, 3rd
      b) 1st, 3rd, 3rd
      c) 2nd, 1st, Out of money

3 seems to be the lucky number for me. Everytime I try four, I end up losing money, or up a bit.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      yeah eveyrone has their limit to how many they can concentrate on.

i personally "only" play 4 because while i can handle up to 16 in the early stages, when it gets to pre-ICM/bubble stage where table reads are kind of important, if i made it that far in 4 tournaments it's already very tough.

if i donk out early though, i'm opening up another table.. slowly progressing from "sets" to the more continuous kind i think.