Beginner's FAQ (for NL lowest limits) Please fill in the answers

• royalrounder007
      royalrounder007
      Bronze
      Hi there, i got my 50$ from the quiz couple of days ago and am just consuming and consuming information till i decide to play, cause i know poker is not a game of luck.

I very much like to make these 50$ bigger and at some point to make it big enough where i could get around 300$ every month for me and still have enough in the bankroll for the next month. Or with other words i want to become rounder and pay my school with this. I know i can do it, cause 2 years ago i showed some good talent at telling people what they hold in their hands, i was pretty good at reading people... i just played with my friends back than, and now i haven't played much since... but i very much want to learn to play the game right.

So here are the beginners Questions for playing at low limits tabl as 0.2/05 .25 etc,.. (but ill leave the exp. player to answer them).

Texas NL holdem
      Q. What is the easiest big stack strategy to play?
      Q. What is the most advanced big stack strategy to play? (most profitable)
      Q. Does Pot odds:odds (and implied odds) should be used at the lowest tables where people have no idea about poker? Does than pot odds are profitable?
      Q. How do you spot player who is multitabling?
      Q. Free tools that can help you play online? ( i have hard time calculating odds usually i go out of time before i get the right calculations.
      - tool that can track and calculate odds/potodds on the go (free one out there?)
      - good free program for played hands and keeping track of what you played etc.. (history)
      Q. Is equity really important? If so as i said earlier how do i calculate everything so fast, pot odds/odds/implied odds + equity is allot of calculations i think.
      Q. Are you a rounder?

If other people have more questions, jump in and ask your questions :)
  • 2 replies
    • phathustler
      phathustler
      Bronze
      Q. What is the easiest big stack strategy to play?

Fold every hand.

Q. What is the most advanced big stack strategy to play? (most profitable)

Pay attention to the tendencies of your opponents and their stack sizes, and on each hand make the best decision you can after considering hand ranges and how they will react to your choices.

Q. Does Pot odds:odds (and implied odds) should be used at the lowest tables where people have no idea about poker? Does than pot odds are profitable?

You should always be thinking about pot odds and implied (and stack sizes), otherwise you may sometimes make plays that are inherently impossible to do profitably. This doesn't mean you need to involve yourself in complicated considerations in every situation though. You can choose to just fold if it is such a rare situation that it is insignificant to your overall play, or if the odds will be so marginally good that it will be insignificant to your overall play. Over time you will see similar situations and hopefully learn to generalize the important points from them, so that in the future you can more quickly assess them.

Q. How do you spot player who is multitabling?

Search their name in your poker client (most have a "find player" option) to see if they're on other tables, or infer that they are multitabling based on their tendencies at the table: good indications are probably that they're not talking, not taking too long to make decisions, playing fairly tight. Even multitablers play differently though.

Q. Free tools that can help you play online? ( i have hard time calculating odds usually i go out of time before i get the right calculations.
      - tool that can track and calculate odds/potodds on the go (free one out there?)
      - good free program for played hands and keeping track of what you played etc.. (history)

The first thing you asked for might be against the terms of most poker sites. It's also not necessary, though it would be helpful. You will quickly, through practice and experience, end up memorizing most of the odds for basic situations. Complicated situations are probably going to be more dependent on implied odds and your opponents hand range anyway. If you want to do this more quickly, just get something like PokerStove or something, and plug in hand ranges and boards and either try to calculate the equity yourself or take a guess, and then check if you're right. Just keep doing this for common situations that come up in your games, and you'll start getting more right.

For the second, there aren't that many great options that I've seen. I've heard of Pokerlens (some beta thing) for Macs, and FreePokerDB is an open source thing for multiple systems, but you'd have to put some effort into getting it set up. You can get the program from pokerstrategy called the Elephant. Most people end up buying Hold'em Manager or Pokertracker though.

Q. Is equity really important? If so as i said earlier how do i calculate everything so fast, pot odds/odds/implied odds + equity is allot of calculations i think.

Yes, equity, fold equity, and implied odds alone pretty much determine all of your decisions (except maybe meta-game considerations affect decisions, which you won't have to worry about at the microstakes). You will develop a sense for your equity and fold equity over time, and you'll get better at making calculations or just remembering similar situations.

You don't always need to know things exactly. With experience and practice, you will know more things accurately, especially for common situations. It's a good exercise to read hand histories and sit and calculate the number of hand combinations and everything, and maybe you'll get enough practice that you'll be able to do it at the table sometimes, but you'll probably just think more like "he's got a lot of suited connectors in his range so theres probably a ton more ways that he has a straight than that he has two pair here." This is something like estimating, like rounding numbers in a complicated arithmetic expression to get a sense of the size of the result, rather than the exact answer. You can do it exactly if you practice and become proficient or very familiar with the arithmetic, but you can also do it pretty well without being so exact.

Q. Are you a rounder?

No.
    • royalrounder007
      royalrounder007
      Bronze
      Sir. Thank you very MUCH for your time! Great post.