Please help and comment

• Prabhatallin
      Prabhatallin
      Gold
      Ok so I am really sorry if this is in the wrong place but I am new here and sure where I am supposed to post this, or even whether I can post elsewhere.

I was playing my first freeroll tournament and I ended up getting knocked out in 5 hands!! I don't think my play was wrong so can anyone tell me if my play or strategy was bad.

I was looking at a few freeroll tables in other tournaments before this one started and I saw a lot of players easily steal raising a lot, so I decided to raise first hand no matter what to see what kind of table I was on. It turned out I was with lunatics...after 4 hands, 3 players were out all-in and everyone was going all-in with pretty much anything.

On Hand 5 I get Ad Qh the first two players fold, I go all-in, the big stack (already because he has gone all in thrice) goes all-in again, and the big blind thinks for 25 seconds and goes all in with Jd 7c. The big stack has pocket twos. The board comes up with random stuff and the big blind wins with pair 7s.

Did i make a mistake or was I just unlucky, If I won the hand I would be chip leader on the table.
  • 6 replies
    • dewler
      dewler
      Bronze
      If you really wanted to dobble up, you could have waited for AA-KK-QQ
      And then gone allin. If you been beaten you been unlucky.
      But it's a freeroll. Everyone goes allin with trash hands.
      But I don't think you did anything wrong. It's just a freeroll tough.
    • Prabhatallin
      Prabhatallin
      Gold
      Thanks a lot.

Maybe I could have waited for AA-KK-QQ as you said, but there were a couple of reasons I decided against that because I had a decent think before going all-in.

At first I thought about playing really tight and essentially using the SSS. I rejected this because on this particular table there wasnt any point playing a hand which I wasnt willing to go all-in with.

I could have waited for only those three hands but I figured if I wait that long it could be an hour and a half or longer and there was a chance I might be seriously short of chips.

Secondly, I figured that in a room where people are going all-in with pretty much anything, I am less likely to need a premium hand to go all-in. Is this analysis correct and what strategy should one adopt if one is in a Sit and Go where everyone around you is playing like a nutcase.
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Ha ha, freerolls are crazy at the beginning:) Just play tight, only the premium hands and let the lunatics throw each other out, later on it gets better:)

But if you don't really care about winning a freeroll, be a lunatic too:) it's fun to get it out sometimes and a freeroll is the perfect place (dough it's not really fer to other players who want to win, but if they play correct you actually help them).
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Prabhatallin!

Welcome at PokerStrategy! At the beginning of a tournament it should be your goal to lose as few chip as possible and wait for good hands as long as the blinds don't pressure you. AQ should be raised but not pushed all-in directly. If two players go all-in behind you, you should fold your hand. Even if it is a freeroll and the players go all-in with every hand.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Prabhatallin
      Prabhatallin
      Gold
      Thanks I will keep that in mind but I was wondering... if it a situation where guys are going all-in almost every hand, should I raise a hand which I am not willing to go all-in with- if so why?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      You should raise it because you don't know if they really go all-in. You want to narrow the field with AQ. Limping or folding isn't really an option.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81