[NL2-NL10] KQo, SB NL4

• Biggles87
      Known players:

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

According to my Elephant stats as we play the villain was a bit loose. Although he had only joined recently so I wasn't too sure of that.

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:heart: , Q:club:
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0.04, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.28) Q:heart: , T:heart: , 5:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.2, MP2 calls $0.20.

Turn: ($0.68) 6:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.44, MP2 calls $0.44.

River: ($1.56) 4:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.52, Hero calls $0.52.

Final Pot: $2.60

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP2 shows a flush, queen high (9h 8h)
      Hero shows (Kh Qc)

I put him on a flush draw but not a gutshot too, giving him 12 outs to my eye. I can see he was getting the money to call post flop but not on the turn. I think my biggest mistake was to pay him off on the river, I should have known I was behind. Although I considered the possibility that he sensed weakness in my check and could be attempting to steal. Perhaps a bigger raise on the turn could have pushed him off too. Opinions?
      Just noticed he picked up another gutshot on the turn, so he probably was getting the odds to call.

MP2 wins with a flush, queen high (9h 8h)
  • 3 replies
    • Wurble
      I prefer a raise to $0.16 pre... As played, large bet on flop is good, maybe 0.24 is better and then I would bet bigger on the turn for protection, like $0.55. I guess check\folding the river without reads on villain is the only option. When you check the river it's really not often that he's betting without having us beat so best just to muck it.
    • veriz
      Hello Biggles87,

Preflop: I'd raise bigger here for 1 limper and being OOP, ~$0,24.
      Flop: Seems to be fine.
      Turn: Could bet a bit bigger but the size is totally fine as well.
      River: But as you did say that you did rather put him on some FD then why did you Check/Call the river? I'd basically either block-bet/Fold or just Check/Fold. We don't beat much when he bets this way the river, only bluff most likely.

Best regards.
    • Biggles87
      Cheers for the opinions.
      I agree with them all. Not considered the fact that it might be a good idea to make larger raises than normal if I am OOP. I'll have a think/ read about that.

Not entirely sure why I raised to 0.12. Normally I'd raise to 0.20 as standard (4BBs plus 1 for each caller). Probably had a reason at the time.

Yeah as I said, I knew it was a mistake calling even as I moved to call, need to work on my discipline. Think I was probably in a negative mindset at the time and probably pissed off that he had hit, although of course that is no excuse for bad play. Looking at the hand afterwards, I can see I have nothing to be upset about as he had the odds on his draws.