UTG ($5.31)
      UTG+1 ($6.11)
      Hero ($5)
      MP1 ($2.09)
      MP2 ($5.03)
      CO ($3.41)
      BTN ($2)

Dealt to Hero Q:heart: Q:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.20, fold, fold, fold, fold, SB calls $0.18, fold

FLOP ($0.45) 3:spade: 2:spade: A:heart:

SB bets $0.34, Hero folds

SB wins $0.42

Found this hand after reviewing yesterday's session. Don't remember why I clicked fold button here, maybe because opponent is unknown.
      - OK, vs aggro player just call and let him to bluff
      - Don't know how to interprete this donk bet from unknown. It looks like he wants to protect from draws. AJ+? I guess with a set he would check/raise me most of the time.
  • 4 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello koosMaras,

- OK, vs aggro player just call and let him to bluff

Yes, likely. He may have very wide range which includes draws/bluffs.

- Don't know how to interprete this donk bet from unknown. It looks like he wants to protect from draws. AJ+? I guess with a set he would check/raise me most of the time.

Usually they are rather Check/Raising with strong hands than donking. Although there might still be possible reason that he is donking with the Ax to protect from flushdraw.

So overall I guess I'd Call the flop and reevaluate it on further streets. But basically it ain't wrong either if you just fold directly, just avoid any further mistakes.

Best regards.
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      Then I have few questions :) I watched a poker related video, don't remember if it was session review, liveplay or strategy, but the thing is that coach said calling the flop for turn reevaluation basically is money wasting, because you don't have a plan for your hand. Well, I guess it's right if we only call and expect opponent to check the turn and will continue when he bets only when we hit a Q.
      So what's the plan here? Q it's obviously best card on the turn. Should I raise his bet on the turn if spade comes? Bet if he checks?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by koosMaras
      Then I have few questions :) I watched a poker related video, don't remember if it was session review, liveplay or strategy, but the thing is that coach said calling the flop for turn reevaluation basically is money wasting, because you don't have a plan for your hand. Well, I guess it's right if we only call and expect opponent to check the turn and will continue when he bets only when we hit a Q.
      So what's the plan here? Q it's obviously best card on the turn. Should I raise his bet on the turn if spade comes? Bet if he checks?
      While you Calling the flop you did have a plan, didn't you? I mean you did put him rather on bluff or flushdraw because you said that it doesn't make sense to bet the flop with made hands. And that's exactly our plan if you did think that of the opponent. And basically we can re-consider whatever we want on turn what our line is going to be.

And against some known opponents we might even at some spots can represent the flush and turn our hand into bluff and against some we likely just folding on turn.

And the same goes for turn play, if he checks we can act accordingly. Either a spade comes or not, we can likely bet for example if it doesn't. Because usually it doesn't really make sense him to donk the Ax on flop and then Check the turn -> could easily indicate that he is drawing. Because if he really wanted to protect then he would likely bet the turn as well. And if the spade comes and he Checks then it's as well somewhat close but I guess now again there are spots I might even prefer Checking behind while he could easily be just trapping us and he wont anyways bet the river without made hand.

And for conclusion that's why it's easier to fold right on flop to avoid further mistakes. :)
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      Ok, thanks for your thoughts. Nice explanation!