Grind to the high stakes

• Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      My name is Alex, I am 22 and live in the South of England. I used to play a lot of poker a couple of years ago and was quite successful, I managed to get up to NL50 but then tried out HU and it went horribly wrong. :D

Here is a link to my past blog: My NL50 Adventures SH & HU

As I am back now I thought I would start a new blog, to chart my progress and hopefully provide some interesting reading!!

I am starting at NL10 SH on bwin. My short term aim for poker is to grind NL10 SH, move up to NL20 then to deposit somewhere else on the ongame network. I will be sticking to just SH and won't be trying HU in the short term future.

So far I have played 3.6k hands and it has gone pretty well. Here is my graph:

Goals:

:club: Take shots at NL20 when br hits $300

:diamond: Get gold status

:heart: Withdraw br from bwin, deposit and clear a bonus on another ongane site

BR: $205.04
  • 16 replies
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      Here is the graph for the last two days. Pretty up and down. I think i've played pretty well, but today the river has been killing me. A few all ins on the flop then killed on the river and a few show downs where they hit on the river. But oh well thats poker! It doesn't really bother me too much as I know if I keep making good plays it will pay off in the end. They can't keep hitting 3 outers!

I managed to get in on the Bwin spring time $100 bonus before it ended so I am going to hopefully clear that then withdraw to somewhere else and clear another bonus.

The Bwin bonus is paid at $5 for every $40 Player Points. Which is quite a grind for NL10 but i've almost cleared $10. If I was playing NL50 or NL100 it would be cleared in a few days! Oh well will have to grind it out.

BR: $191.48
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      I am so rubbish at updating.

Ok here is the short story of the past few weeks. I played a bit more SH but got bored and tried HU(yes I know kill me now) It went ok then hit a bit of a downswing and I ended up even after about 100 $5.50 HU sng's. So I went back to NL10 SH and its been going ok.

Here is the graph for May:

I had a bit of a swing in the middle but i'm happy with it as I beat NL10 for 7.8bb/100 which is fairly decent.

Yesterday I played a 1k session and ended up break even.

I have released 55% of the $100 spring bonus on Bwin, I am aiming to clear the rest of that and then join Europoker and go for another bonus.

Will probably start taking shots at NL20 at $300

BR: $223.72

p.s had a go at PLO and lost a couple of stacks that is why the BR totals don't match up when adding the bonus I have released.
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      This evening's ession has been so sick and so long :D

It started out pretty badly and I was immediately 2 buyins down but I slowly managed to grind my way back to breakeven, then I took a short break and started winning big time!

I had some awesome tables tonight, one was seriously deepstacked and with plenty of fish on. three quarters through the session I lost 2 huge pots. One where he hit runner runner to win it and the other I am happy with my call, but it was pretty annoying at the time.

Anyways here is the graph. I am feeling some NL20 soon :P

BR: $300.60
    • iamthesituation
      iamthesituation
      Silver
      Seems like you've got a pretty good hold on NL10. Don't ya think 15 BI for NL20 is a bit low for taking shots? I don't play NLH, but it seems a bit risky. Other than that good luck!
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      Originally posted by iamthesituation
      Seems like you've got a pretty good hold on NL10. Don't ya think 15 BI for NL20 is a bit low for taking shots? I don't play NLH, but it seems a bit risky. Other than that good luck!
      Thanks for your comment. Yeah I agree, 15 buyins is probably a bit risky, but I would like to take a shot and if I lose 2 buyins max I move back down. I dunno I will think about it, maybe when I get to $350/400.

I've been at the pub tonight so am a bit pissed so won't be playing till tomo :f_p:
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      If Friday was sick today was just insane. The graph speaks for itself:

I feel like my poker is coming along really nicely. I think the other big factor is I'm not trying any really spazzy plays and picking my spots to bluff carefully. I have been watching quite a few videos recently and they seem to be paying off.

I added 2 NL20 tables to my set of 6 for about 30mins of the end of my session today and it went ok. It is kinda weird having to adjust my bet sizing. Everything is double! ?(

Not sure if I will have 6 NL20 tables or do the same as today. I will see how confident I am feeling.

I have cleared 70% of the $100 bonus so I will be moving to Betfair or EuroPoker soon.

BR: $439.58
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      I took a shot at NL20 today, kinda frustrating as nothing really went my way, I guess I am happy that i'm only down 1.5 buyins as I could be a lot more.

I made one really bad play and one bad call apart from that I think I played reasonably well. I kinda feel a bit tilted so I'm gunna go watch a video then go to bed.

My stoploss for NL20 is 5 buyins, if I hit $340 I will go back to NL10 and grind it back up. Hopefully tommorrow will be better.

BR: $406.68

p.s I've decided I will post a graph every few days otherwise my blog gets a bit flooded with graphs.
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      Well I took a shot and it didn't work out. I got officially owned. I feel I had a really bad run and made a few bad plays. It felt like every cbet i made got check raised and I didn't hit anything. I also lost a full stack with set over set on the flop which is always unlucky. Oh well not the end of the world.

Here's the horrendus graph of my shot at NL20:

Back to NL10!!

BR: $352.53
    • plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      where abouts on the south are you from mate, im from portsmouth
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      Originally posted by plebpl
      where abouts on the south are you from mate, im from portsmouth
      Nice to see a fellow Southerner! I live near Guildford so not that far away
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      Today was majorly swingy. I played just over 1.3k hands which is pretty good volume for me. I've set my self an aim that I want to try and play 30k hands per month which is obviously 1k per night which I think is doable. Trouble is I work during the day so am sometimes pretty knackered by the time I get back, however I can usually catch up over the weekend.

Here is the graph for today. I'm pretty pleased with myself that I managed to get back to even after being 5 stacks down.

BR: $359.17
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      Wow haven't updated since last Wednesday! WEll poker has been going pretty solid. I kinda feel a little weird about my play, I think I might be playing too agro (is that possible?) My thinking is that if I am always agro they will pay me off as they get frustrated with me betting all the time. However people are not paying me off at the moment. Maybe it's just variance or maybe I need to look at my play more.

I am still watching plenty of videos and I am learning new stuff each time which is good. I suppose my winrate was never really sustainable however I think for NL10 10/bb100 is possible. I managed to play over 2k hands on Sunday which I was pleased with, I am now only just under my monthly target of hands.

I have cleared 99% of the Bwin bonus so only $5 to clear then I am going to move to another ongame site. There are so many of them it is difficult to choose. I have had a brief look each site tends to have lots of different bonus amounts. I think I will choose a bonus somewhere in the middle as at NL10 it doesn't clear that fast.

Here's the graph since my last update:

BR: $398.24
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      I have moved to PokerLoco. I have a decent deal with an affiliate of theres which should really help my bankroll. Poker Loco is on the Ongame Network. However one big difference to Bwin is that they have way less tables.

As you can see in this screenshot:

Loco has hardly any of the ones Bwin has.

So I emailed Loco's support and they said this:

"There are more bwin specific tables in the micro stakes levels than anywhere else. This is something that bwin have asked for. They are our largest operator, and contribute a lot to the network liquidity even with some of their players on “private” tables. Ongame monitor this closely, and will never allow fenced off liquidity where it will cause issues for the rest of the network’s liquidity.

You should always be able to find an empty seat at all levels on any of Ongame’s sites, and if this is not the case then please let me know and I will look into it. "

So basically Bwin have their own tables, seems stupid seeing as they are all meant to be on the same network with the same player pool but oh well. There should be enough for me to play my standard 6 tables.

I took my 3rd shot at NL20 and this time it went really well and I was up 1.5 buyins. Hopefully I can stay there now and build my roll for NL30 :)

BR: $473.62
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      So here's an update for the past few days. Not a huge amount to talk about really. I've played a fairly decent amount of hands. Here's the graph:

I have played 5.5k hands at NL20 and I am starting to feel comfortable. I am still $22.38 down though. Hopefully I can get into porfit after the next session :D

BR: $505.97
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      Poker is so frustrating sometimes!! I feel like I am on a bit of a downswing the past few days. I was up to almost $600 bankroll, then the last few days i've been finding it hard to win at all.

Big news yesterday, ongame moved from 5 max to 6 max!! I have personally wanted to see this happen since I started playing there and they finally did it! I think the tables are pretty much the same standard of play but i'm not too sure. I found some really nice tables this evening but wasn't able to get much money from the fish. I found myself in some really tough spots and made some marginal plays. I am going to review some hands and post some in the evaluations section. Anyways here is my graph for the past few days:

As you can see I was up quite a lot then it all went a bit wrong. Oh well, tomorrow is a new day.

BR: $475.26
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      I played a nice long session last night and the day before. Not much to say really, just going along steadily. I have cricket today then I will hopefully be able to play some more after that.

Just for the record I have managed to generate around $45 worth of rakeback but I don't get it till the beginning of next month.

BR: $484.85