ASK ME! Heads Up Questions

• pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Ok, I'm getting lots of emails/skypes/pms from people wanting to know more about Heads Up. There is a new thread every day about HU SNG's. Post any questions ITT about Heads Up SNG's or Heads Up cash games.

Hopefully we can refer back to this thread in the future to new players and we all (including myself) find out something :)
  • 263 replies
    • daun666
      daun666
      Bronze
      Hi
      I have some questions.

1. I have tried play hu sng 1,2,5,10 $ (5,10 only about 5 sng) and i didnt saw any difference how poeople play at thees stakes. So at what stakes people become noticeably better?

2. What is good winrate(%) for hu sng player?

3. And what Bankroll management is ok for low stakes (< 10 $), I use 25BI, is it ok?
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by daun666

1. I have tried play hu sng 1,2,5,10 $ (5,10 only about 5 sng) and i didnt saw any difference how poeople play at thees stakes. So at what stakes people become noticeably better?

Generally there aren't many decent regs at anything under $50. There are ofc soem regs at $10-$20, but I gaurantee they have some pretty huge leaks and havn't been regs for too long. I have a friend who plays the high stakes HU sng's on the Euro sites and from our experiences they play badly until the $500 ones.

On Stars there are some decent regs at the $100 and $200 ones, but they still have weird leaks and afterwards its like, ermwtfsupernova?
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach

This obviously depends on the stakes and amount of tables, but anything over a 10% roi is seen as v.good.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach

3. And what Bankroll management is ok for low stakes (< 10 $), I use 25BI, is it ok?
      This depends on your mentality, 25bi is fine IMHO. I like aggresive bankroll management and I would follow a fish to the highest stakes there is. For example I would play a fish at $100 HU sngs, I'd win a few and he would sit at 1k SNG's, with the mentality I have, I would play against him and set a 2bi stoploss, or a 5bi stoploss and sell 50% to a friend to reduce the variance.

For me this is perfect, for others the would be out of their comfort zone and not play their "A" game.
    • Tavbi123
      Tavbi123
      Bronze
      one thing for begginers:
      go play some other form of poker, husngs are frustrating... i am running 40 BIs under EV (over sample of 600), that is also why i would recommend more than 25BIs BRM
      they are some kind of motivation leechers :D
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      brm for cash games?
    • Tulabas
      Tulabas
      Bronze
      is it ok to post some hands?
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Tulabas
      is it ok to post some hands?
      ofc!
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by amplifyd
      brm for cash games?
      Taking shots is fine with less than 10bi depending on your mindset, selling pieces to friends is good too. 50-75bi is a nice aggresive BRM, as long as youre prepared to move down.
    • Tulabas
      Tulabas
      Bronze
      ok,
      Ill start with this:
      1)what about 4man roi, should it be bigger/smaller/same as 2man? and brm for them
      2)imagine this, i loose a big pot and have 200chips left with 100/50 blinds.. so i push with A2 , op calls with AA, and i loose ...its totaly standart, but how will my ev line react? is it even worth to look at it ?
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      I personally don't look at my EV line at all for HU sng's, I'd just end up getting really tilted and thinking that I was running bad. I tilt quite badly :(
    • Tulabas
      Tulabas
      Bronze
      k, and the first question? :)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Tulabas
      ok,
      Ill start with this:
      1)what about 4man roi, should it be bigger/smaller/same as 2man? and brm for them
      Alot of people will argue different reasons behind this. If you table select well and sharkscope your players who are waiting in the lobby then 4man is probably more +ev, if you get in against good regs then its -ev. I have friends who play these with a partner, as far as I can see this is 100% ethical and shouldnt be a problem. The variance is alot lower here and its definitely +ev. Somebody told me last night stars have taken away the 4man HU SNG's, not 100% sure if this is right at the moment.
    • Yoshimitsu77
      Yoshimitsu77
      Bronze
      What should I be learning at the very beginning?
      any specific articles, charts or vids that will give me a good basic understanding.

Ive only played 2 HUSNG's (turbo stts are my normal game) but in almost every spot I don't feel confident in my play......
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      I'll post generally strategy including nash etc either tonight or tomorrow night.
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze

Hi,

How about for cash games? I've played mostly NL10 and everyone seems pretty bad...

And winrate? I'm running at about 19bb/100 after a small sample - 7.3k hands. Is this maintainable at this limit?

Thanks
    • Semesa
      Semesa
      Bronze
      7k hands is a very small sample size, and the rake at NL10 is bad enough that anything >10bb/100 isn't really sustainable.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tavbi123
      one thing for begginers:
      go play some other form of poker, husngs are frustrating... i am running 40 BIs under EV (over sample of 600), that is also why i would recommend more than 25BIs BRM
      they are some kind of motivation leechers :D
      I disagree i think if you watch a couple of good videos first and take lots of notes while playing and most important are able to adapt well to different types of opponents 25 BI's is perfect amount of BI's

Ive spoken to quite a few people who make a good continuous profit from these who say the variance is suprisingly low if you can just adapt easily
    • Tavbi123
      Tavbi123
      Bronze
      @pleno1
      What stakes do you play? Are you willing to comment on some hands?
      ty