Nash equilibrium

• outspan
      Hey there!

I've just been re-promoted to silver member after a break from poker. I'm reading up on the SNG articles and in particular about SAGE. In the article about it, there is a comment saying that Nash equilibrium is better than SAGE - in fact, that SAGE is a simplification of the Nash equilibrium. I'm interested in it for the HU in particular.

Usually, the Nash equilibrium is a better situation for HU endgames nowadays. You can find the charts at:

Though the chart has "20+" for many hands, you generally want to start using Nash at around 9-12 BB's. Also, don't use the caller chart unless you're sure your opponent is using Nash as well. Use the pushing chart though, it's great.
      Do you agree with this? Should I really only use the Nash pushing table, and not the calling one? Do you only use it below 13BB? I saw there's an article on Nash for gold members but obviously I still can't read it, that's why I'm asking.

Which is better for HU, Nash or the 4 push/fold charts (ICM)?

• 2 replies
    • Hlynkinn
      Sage is imo much more complex and is not as accurate as NASH.. you can just print out the nash chart.. while you have to do calculations for SAGE... Knowing Sage has helped me in live spots.. but online I much rather use NASH...

HU nash chart is a chart to play unexploitable hu tournament poker.... Not optimal strategy... just unexploitable strategy...

I usually don't start using nash until 10bb's deep against most opponents... against unpredictable opponents I prefer starting at around 16bb's sometimes...

I also push wider than nash against most recreational players... but I call tighter against most of them as well..
    • mktpppr
      imo throw the push/fold charts away as soon as you can, you must know nash, both push and call, use icm trainer to practice

specifically for HU: use nash, both push and call, its unexploitable, depending on the situation i use it for 20+

but i play $1-2 SNGs so like hlynkinn said opponents are unpredictable and very few players in these limits know to play nash, so you have to adjust

i dont know much about SAGE, i skipped it and went straight into nash