Video Discussion - Amatuer Bluffs Galfond

• DanielUK
      DanielUK
      Bronze
      In the last hand of High Stakes Poker Season 7 Episode 10, a big hand builds between amateurs Croak, Klein and the well known pro, Phil Galfond.

What do you think of the lines taken here? Do you think there's a distinct way amateurs play nut hands and how they run bluffs on the river after they've been passive on the turn?

Do you think this is an easy laydown for Galfond most of the time in this spot? How hard is it for a pro player to establish how amateurs perceive their hand strength?

Let us know what you think right here. Enjoy!

• 14 replies
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      I don't think it makes that much sense for Klein to have KJ on the turn and be drawing to a fh. He would either push AI on turn or muck if he thought he was already up against a set/straight (well, he should).

Croak also may have Jx given his flop/turn play so KJ is even less likely for Klein.

So I'm not sure how easy it is for him to rep JK on the river. But instead he can have 22 or 99. Overall, I think Kleins play looks enough like a draw straigh/flush/combo for Galfond to lean towards a call.
    • 2brokenjaws
      2brokenjaws
      Bronze
      pretty nice move on the river, i think it looks like the only possible hands he would take those lines with, are a set or flush draw, i haven't watched a lot of the other episodes so i don't know if Galfond perceived him as a rock, because surely the odds are right to call if he he's 50:50 on either having filled up, or missed... no other scenario's in my opinion.

I think if he had a set though, he probably would of tried a check raise on the turn rather than betting himself with the donk, raise, call, call on the flop.

or if he had the set i'm pretty sure he's 3 betting Galfond on the turn, in the line he took, not just flat calling.

gutsy move all the same!.. i quite like the fist BOOM's at the end after he shows it, he's loving that one!
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      flop raise with draw being amateur probably seemed to be set trying to protect from draws. Then he called on turn hoping that full house comes not having odds (only implied odds I gues) so he bet big on river to get implied odds and make turn call profitable in long term.

Nothing that amateur would do, but I would consider folding if it was pro.
      Reads are needed. Dunno.

The only interesting part in this video is when everyone is cheering him because they want him to keep doing that and give easy money to them lololol.
    • chrismccabe9
      chrismccabe9
      Bronze
      As an amateur I could never make move like and I don’t think many people over the age of 25 makes moves like that, For someone like Phil I think it’s an easy laydown, I have watched Phil make incredible lay downs in the past with Doyle quoting ‘don’t you ever pay anyone off’
      I think phil was just confused about how the hand played out what was he putting him on before the river, 2 pair or trips?
      Can’t see Klein calling phil’s reraise on the turn with two pair so I think phil maybe put him on trips klein having pocket nines is very likely how things played out up until the turn and then the bored pairing the jacks and klein betting 150k I know I’m laying down and I’m guessing most of the tables cards would be going in the muck in the same situation, well that just my 2 cents
    • MJQuads
      MJQuads
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Saruniks
      flop raise with draw being amateur probably seemed to be set trying to protect from draws. Then he called on turn hoping that full house comes not having odds (only implied odds I gues) so he bet big on river to get implied odds and make turn call profitable in long term.

Nothing that amateur would do, but I would consider folding if it was pro.
      Reads are needed. Dunno.

The only interesting part in this video is when everyone is cheering him because they want him to keep doing that and give easy money to them lololol.
      IMO this is an epic move from the old sable lol. He's range is so polarised on the river; busted FD or 22, 99. KJ definitely isn't an option.

And if his image was at least a bit on the tighter side, this move is awesome.
    • chrismccabe9
      chrismccabe9
      Bronze
      Just read something interesting about Bill Klein he donates all his winnings to charity and then if he makes a loss he matches his loss and donates that to charity, so I’m guessing he doesn’t care much about the money
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      I guess Bill Klein is a rich man. :D
      I think I will call on the River because the range on the River is so polarised to blusted flush draw or fullhouse(11 combo's).
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well i was pretty sure Phil's going to fold it after that bet on the river. He even said he was less scared of a :spade: then paired board because from an amateur old guy to be raising the flop he more often has a set or J9 then playing FD agressive and Klein wasn't really making any moves up to that point at least when Phil got to the table.

Then the turn the main straight draw completes so he bets small and calls probably being afraid of a straight but he pretty much get 4:1 on a call which i think was a mistake from Phil do give him such a good price.

So after this player type donks out big on the river i think you have to give him credit that he has it more often then not, especially since its hard to give him busted FD after his flop raise.
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      i personally like galfonds fold on the river cuz in my experience ameteurs generally play draws passivly so when Klein donks river he almost always has a boat. I also like Laak's NVG comment after the hand.
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Hello,

I like to see if Klein c/r shove on the River as bluff. Do you think Galfond will bet if Klein checks River and do you think Galfond will call if Klein c/r shove River?

:)
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      galfond had to put him on mostly 22, 99, and J9/J2s.
    • LEROYPARKER
      LEROYPARKER
      Bronze
      if i was galfond im putting him on the flush or 222 hits his boat 1 or the other
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      That was an amazing bluff, I don't know if he did it for the right reasons but it was absolutely brilliant with the dynamic and his opponent, and Galfond's fold was very standard
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      missed draw? i cawllllllllll