NL SH - idea for balancing your check behinds as PFA BU

• SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      I open a lot from button, but don't like to have a 100% cbet-range.
      But it does not mean that if i check behind the flop that I give up any turn.
      I use weak aces to balance my range on ace high boards and make great success with it:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.25(BB) Replayer
      SB ($23.33)
      BB ($19.55)
      UTG ($30.92)
      UTG+1 ($27.34)
      CO ($30.27)
      Hero ($51.52)

Dealt to Hero 8:diamond: A:club:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.60, SB calls $0.50, fold

FLOP ($1.45) 6:club: 6:heart: A:spade:

SB checks, Hero checks

TURN ($1.45) 6:club: 6:heart: A:spade: 2:club:

SB bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

RIVER ($2.45) 6:club: 6:heart: A:spade: 2:club: 9:club:

SB bets $1, Hero calls $1

Hero shows 8:diamond: A:club:
      (Pre 65%, Flop 96.1%, Turn 90.9%)

SB shows 4:diamond: 3:club:
      (Pre 35%, Flop 3.9%, Turn 9.1%)

Hero wins $4.23

I often experience results like this - who would have c/f the flop.
      Question:

What do you guys think about it? Do I loose to much value (but against what ?( ) or is this a good way to balance? Of course their is a drawback - i pay out AJ here 2 streets (but sometimes they only bet turn,c river)
      On the other hand if they call JJ - i get max 2 streets of value anyway. If they check turn to me i of course bet

waiting for your replies :-)
  • 9 replies
    • Adapter1337
      Adapter1337
      Bronze
      I balance it do and i really like it, you def got that way more value. With betting, there isnt weaker hands what call you down 3streets, so max is 2streets value anyway + your hand looks like JJ-KK this way, he may try to bluff you off and so on.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      i also check behind and c/c but not really for balance (more likely because no worse hands really call (well they do but not with any frequency)), i think more so in this spot u should check behind some air for balance. think abt it, when you check behind this flop u alw have showdown value, ur air always bets this flop.
      the thing is no need to check behind air to balance because they still proceed to make moronic bluffs with 4 high :)
    • z1pz0r
      z1pz0r
      Bronze
      on higher limits people will know that you cbet this board 100% of time and only check it w/ medium made hand like midpair/weak ace, so you'll be pretty exploitable.

this line is totally fine on nl25 tho
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      hm to be honest I do not cbet 100% as a PFA & button-raiser.
      flop comes down 5s6sTc is for me no must-bet, because a lot of guys just like to play back at me. Because I don't have the nuts to play back again I just cb medium hands and give up air sometimes (or like on this board Js9d with some runner-runner potential which might lead to a huge payout if they hit - or a medium payout against KT if KT decided to bet the J turn and 2 river)
    • z1pz0r
      z1pz0r
      Bronze
      ofc, but I was talking about this kind of flop, 66A, not J9xs or other wet flops
    • BattleHunter
      BattleHunter
      Coach
      Coach
      So basically imo it comes down to hand combinations. let's say we take A66r as example. If we want to have a balanced range, we shouldn't simply say "I will cback weak aces and TT/JJ-KK and cbet everything else". We should take our whle range and make a few patterns that we can use vs different player types, but based on the entirety of our range.
      If I have a bit more time I will try to do something like this later for the BU range.. if I do, I will post it here
    • sapheal
      sapheal
      Global
      Originally posted by Adapter1337
      I balance it do and i really like it, you def got that way more value. With betting, there isnt weaker hands what call you down 3streets, so max is 2streets value anyway + your hand looks like JJ-KK this way, he may try to bluff you off and so on.
      +1
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      I sometimes Cbet in those spots and sometimes not, depending on the opponent. I also like the check behind line because it induces bluffs and get some value from medium pairs. However be sure to Cbet this flop with those hands sometimes, you don't want to polarize your Cbet range, you simply want not to get floated too much, and you avoid some checkraises with a hand you'll have to fold.
      When a opponent folds too much to Cbets, I simply abuse it by Cbetting here. the more made hands in my cbetting range the better against an opponent that will only resist the cbet with something. In fact, I generally choose what to do depending on how went my last Cbets at the table and against that opponent.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I generally balance my range on those sorts of flops. In my experience people hate to fold on paired flops, so sometimes I check behind with air and when they lead river their bet sizing is usually pretty transparent and tells you if they have the nuts or not, and depending on this I can reraise with my air or my medium hands, or I can call a turn bet with either of those types of hands and if the river bricks you can take it away by raising their bet or betting when they check.

In general on those paired boards a check often allows you to get more value out of both your made hands and your air.