Equity help!!!

• joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Bronze
      What is Equity? why do we need to use and how do we use it?

I understand that I have 25% equity if i call $5 to win a pot of $20, but how does this correlate to your hand? Do i need to learn what my hand is against my opponents hand range, is that correct?

Im just stuggling to find out how to use it really.

When i see charts like this im totally confused.....

Equity

Win Draw Loss Hand
      Player 1: 61.176% 40.496% 41.359% 18.145% QQ+, Aks, AKo
      Player 2: 38.824% 18.145% 41.359% 40.496% AK

any help would be much appreciated!

cheers
  • 6 replies
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Gold
      Equity is the % chance your hand has of winning against villains range. Download equilator from the software section of this site and have a mess around with different hands etc and all will become clearer!

You need to understand at least the basics of equity in order to play the game profitably - it's no good calling a pot size bet if you only have 20% equity because you're only going to win at showdown 20% of the time and you're only getting pot odds of 2/1 for which you'll need at least 33% equity to make the call profitable.
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Bronze
      so working out opponents hand ranges is the 1st step to it? see i suck at that also lol - i dont have a HUD or anything so its tricky, im basically playing unknowns all the time
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Gold
      Originally posted by joeldowey123
      so working out opponents hand ranges is the 1st step to it? see i suck at that also lol - i dont have a HUD or anything so its tricky, im basically playing unknowns all the time
      you don't really need a HUD for micro stakes, just make a lot of notes on how each villain plays in different spots.

Just look at the starting hand charts here for basic pre flop ranges and then narrow down on each street by trying to think aboutwhat hands villain will carry on with after each action. From this you can start to work out how best to get the most value from each hand. A good place to start understanding these things is the hans evaluation forums.
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wurble
      Originally posted by joeldowey123
      you don't really need a HUD for micro stakes, just make a lot of notes on how each villain plays in different spots.

Just look at the starting hand charts here for basic pre flop ranges and then narrow down on each street by trying to think aboutwhat hands villain will carry on with after each action. From this you can start to work out how best to get the most value from each hand. A good place to start understanding these things is the hans evaluation forums.
      by that do you mean trying to help other people out or by posting my own hands? i dont even keep HH on this comp cause mine broke so im using my gf's laptop and dont want to load too much poker stuff on it, not really fair on her! but if you mean try and help out other people i can certainly give that a try!
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Gold
      Well, you don't even have to post but reading through the coach's comments after the hands have been evaluated will help you get to grips with ranges and how to play in different situations.
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Bronze
      cool cheers for the comments guys! much appreciated!

Ive played for years but only for fun and now im trying to actually learn the game and give up old, bad habits!

even starting on nl2 which i had to swallow my pride for! but hopefully ill get to grasps with working out hand ranges and equity soon!

cheers guys