living that scrub life (PLOHU and PLOSH)

• iamthesituation
      iamthesituation
      Bronze
      My first blog. I hope it makes me more motivated to play better/study harder. I am going to start with 300, and try to make 5k by the end of the summer. My girlfriend is away travelling until August, so I think I'll have plenty of time to focus :)

About me:

I am an 18 year old university student in Canada studying biology. This is my last summer where I will be unemployed as I am working for the university for the next five years. Hopefully I can still make some money playing poker. This summer I will be playing mornings and nights, with breaks in the day to see friends, exercise and just live the good summer life. I also rap/produce music as a hobby.

I have a terrible tendency to run up my bankroll pretty high (relatively speaking, only a few thousand in reality) and then something happens (cough cough tilt cough cough) and I lose a large chunk of it, and I get forced to re-motivate myself to climb the limits again (hate doing this).

I will be playing on FullTilt with a mix of PLO and NLH depending on my mood. I play tournies occasionally (have had very good results, but they bore me too much) and cash games (mainly these).

I'm going to use a 50BI restriction for NLH and 75BI restrictions for PLO. I'll start at both PLO and NL 5.

Goals for the end of May:

-Double my roll
      -Play 100k hands
      -Study more (or should I say start studying)
      -Get gold status here
      -Stop tilting

Starting roll: 300.00
  • 15 replies
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Good luck man, if you are prone to tilt stay off the rush poker tables :)

Do you have any plans to loosen your BRM once you get back into the swing? As building up to NL25 will be an epic hike up to $1,250 playing NL10. Great that you have a BRM plan, just wondering if you might want to loosen it until you are playing NL25.
    • iamthesituation
      iamthesituation
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrMardyBum
      Good luck man, if you are prone to tilt stay off the rush poker tables :)

Do you have any plans to loosen your BRM once you get back into the swing? As building up to NL25 will be an epic hike up to $1,250 playing NL10. Great that you have a BRM plan, just wondering if you might want to loosen it until you are playing NL25.
      I hear ya, Rush Tables have been the my biggest downfall. I love to play'em, but mannnnnn, it hasn't gone too well. Especially when I was playing the PLO100 tables. Pretty sick I am back down to PLO5.... but thats been the story of my poker career (completely due to emotions/poor play)

I probably won't be loosening up too much for the PLO BRM. I play a very high variance style, and have won/lost 20BI in a day multiple times. As far as NLH, I haven't played it as much, but if the games are super soft and I feel the variance is low enough I will move up more liberally.

What BRM do you use?
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      When I started out this time (I also have gone up and down) I deposited $83 and played NL2 to shake of the rust. Then just switched to NL5 when I felt I was back in the rhythm. And I started taking shots at NL10 with 12 BI, but only because I wanted to get free of NL5 and don't recommend it.
      But as a general rule 25BI, and when I reach 20 BI for the next level I will take a 2 BI shot, so if I lose $50 at NL25 for example I'll just play NL10 again and build that $50 back up. This way if I win 2 x BI I can stay at that limit.
      I'd drop back down then when I felt I was playing badly and had about 40BI for the lower level, or at the very latest (if I've just been coolered a lot)when I only had 25 BI for the level I'd just moved up from. Hope that makes sense.

The skill level between NL5 & 10 is so small that the only thing you'll have to adjust to when moving stakes is bet sizing and obviously finding the leaks in any of the regulars game that you come up against on a constant basis, labelling fish etc. I'd say if you are starting at NL5 with that roll, play 5 - 10k hands make sure you have a positive bb/100 and if you do just switch to NL10.

As for Omaha I'd say you have the right idea if you like to play a swingy style, other than the odd MTT I don't really play omaha for that very reason. So can't really offer you much advice here, but sure some others around the forum can.

Just my advice, good luck with whatever you choose to do though :)
    • iamthesituation
      iamthesituation
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrMardyBum
      When I started out this time (I also have gone up and down) I deposited $83 and played NL2 to shake of the rust. Then just switched to NL5 when I felt I was back in the rhythm. And I started taking shots at NL10 with 12 BI, but only because I wanted to get free of NL5 and don't recommend it.
      But as a general rule 25BI, and when I reach 20 BI for the next level I will take a 2 BI shot, so if I lose $50 at NL25 for example I'll just play NL10 again and build that $50 back up. This way if I win 2 x BI I can stay at that limit.
      I'd drop back down then when I felt I was playing badly and had about 40BI for the lower level, or at the very latest (if I've just been coolered a lot)when I only had 25 BI for the level I'd just moved up from. Hope that makes sense.

The skill level between NL5 & 10 is so small that the only thing you'll have to adjust to when moving stakes is bet sizing and obviously finding the leaks in any of the regulars game that you come up against on a constant basis, labelling fish etc. I'd say if you are starting at NL5 with that roll, play 5 - 10k hands make sure you have a positive bb/100 and if you do just switch to NL10.

As for Omaha I'd say you have the right idea if you like to play a swingy style, other than the odd MTT I don't really play omaha for that very reason. So can't really offer you much advice here, but sure some others around the forum can.

Just my advice, good luck with whatever you choose to do though :)
      Thanks man, I like your system. Must suck losing 2BI when you take a shot then having to rebuild it all back by moving down.

I probably shouldn't be playing omaha. Just becaue I invest my emotions too much into the game. With the swingy nature of omaha I often don't play my A game because I can't fully cope with the emotional swings and the frustrations that accompany a bad beat.

Anyways I played a session today and it went really well. I played NLH, and besides one hand where a guy open shoved AK for 200bbs into my kings and hit an ace on the flop, it went really. I think you were right about just getting back into the groove at NL5 because it is very soft.

BR = 372.XX
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      we got a situation here!
    • iamthesituation
      iamthesituation
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      we got a situation here!
      was hopin people would know the reference. CAB ARE HEAAAA!

just played another session, I just started saving my hand histories now so I'll post some next time I play. I played NL RUSH.

BR = 402.87
    • iamthesituation
      iamthesituation
      Bronze
      Played some HUPLO. Nothing too interesting except I got AAxx in vs. KKxx and held. I played tight as can be, and need to work on my HU game big time, as it seemed I was getting dominated.

BR = 463.62
    • iamthesituation
      iamthesituation
      Bronze
      I realized my buyin regulations were a bit steep considering how soft the games are so I moved up to PLO25 once my bankroll reached 1k.

I was playing a massive drooler for a while at shallow PLO25, and followed him up the stakes shot taking back when my br was around 500. We played PLO50 HU for about 6 hours and I took like 500 or soo off of him to boost it to the 1k mark to be able to comfortably play PLO25.

I am playing 4 tables of Rush right now, and it seems that it's even softer than the PLO10 Rush game. I usually only played PLO10 / 100 so this is my first real dabble with the 25 limit.

[x] gold status
      [x] doubled roll

BR = 1160.24
    • iamthesituation
      iamthesituation
      Bronze
      Alright so I have been slacking volume wise. June is going to be a huge grinding month for me, I have a few goals that I REALLY want to achieve to give my BR a big boost. I play on FTP, so I am going to take advantage of the FTP Rake race this month and really try to grind into a top 25 finish for 1k.

By doing this I'm probably going to need ~25kish strategy points I am guessing which means a shitload of grinding since I am only playing PLO25. I plan to make 500 / day for the first 10 days, and 750 for the last 30 (gonna build make bankroll big enough for PLO50/100 in the firs 10 days). Plus I get RB on friday which should be around 250.

If I do this, I'll get 120k FTP or something.. i don't really know the exact conversion, but it seems to be like ~5x ish. That'd make me a fuckton of rakeback (3k+) which would add to the big bankroll boost.

I could also purchase some bonuses in the black card store (I should get it this month if i am successful with this challenge).

I'll update at the end of every day probably.
    • iamthesituation
      iamthesituation
      Bronze
      well i ended up getting a job, so i miserably failed all my goals. i've been playing PLO25 rush a lot, and I recently discovered just how easy the capped 6max games and headsup games are, so I've been playing those recently (PLO25-PLO50).

Rush week is coming up and so is the midyear iron man bonus, so that should give me a good bankroll boost (~500 in bonuses if I can manage to get 1kFTP/day for all of rush week). It sucks I just started ironman in may or I would've had a lot more.

I have 55k FTPs that I'm hoping to build up so I can get the 1k black card bonus (currently averaging 400pts/day, so I'm almost at Black card status). I also plan to use my ironman medals to get 100k FTPs, so I might just grind it up to get the 2k bonus.

There have been a lot of ups/downs. I dropped to ~600 at my lowest, and had to really focus/drop tables to recuperate from the losses. I took a shot in Vroom (PLO100 Rush) and won like 10 buyins, which was nice.

BR = 1940.62
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      u took a shot at plo100 with 9 buyins. that is just sooo bad. btw what part of canada r u from?
    • iamthesituation
      iamthesituation
      Bronze
      Sorry, I should've specified I bought in short ($40.00) and I had ~25BI. I would never take a 9BI shot, that's just asking to go broke.

I am from New Brunswick... not the most interesting province, but it's home. I am moving to Halifax, Nova Scotia in September though.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Originally posted by i5bet72o
      u took a shot at plo100 with 9 buyins. that is just sooo bad. btw what part of canada r u from?
      when i play PLO SH i never fail to have 9BI+ swings. go figure...
    • iamthesituation
      iamthesituation
      Bronze
      cracked 2k today, still disappointed as I was up a lot, and played badly at the end.

BR = 2005.42

It was ~2250 at its peak today though.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      T-SHIRT TIME!!!11!