Setting myself Straight! I've Got To Do It!!(Finally with graphs and HH!!!)

• joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      Hello!!

I'm Joel, I'm from Belfast, Northern Ireland (living in Manchester, England at the minute) and as the title suggests im going allllll the way back to nl2 and the basics really.

About Me

I'm 24, and university dropout, although im going back this september to study applied sports science and strength and conditioning coaching. The gym is a massive part of my life as i love to feel fit and healthy, and it gives me lots of energy throughout the day.

Poker Bakground

For a long time i was that fish you see sitting at the nl100 tables with $40 and spewing it all over the place, not really understanding oods and outs, or implied odds etc. Ive been playing on and off for about 5 years or so, mainly for fun, home cash games would get a bit outta control sometimes and we'd be sitting there with a few hundred £££ each by the end of it.

But those days are hopefully over (well the spewing anyway)!!!!

Going to VEGAS in November for the 1st time, which im stupidly excited about! so getting in a lot of practice, both online and live for that!!!!!!

Long Term Goals

:heart: To grind my way through the levels to infinity!
      :diamond: To read and learn a lot about poker, I'm not going to say 'learn it all' as i dont think thats possible, u can always learn something new
      :spade: To be happy and successful in life
      :club: To party hard

So i recently been given a 2nd free $50 from pokerstrategy to play on partypoker.com :f_love: , ive never played on their software before and i have to say that i like it a lot, easy on the eye and very plain and simple.

I have decided that my game is pretty standard and rubbish, so nl2 it is until i have a decent grasp on the basic concepts of the math involved with poker. I think that as long as i look at nl2 with bb in my eyes and not $$$ i wont get too distracted. If i think "oh thats 25bb to call, rather than only 50cents", i'll do much better

Unfortunatly, I will be playing on my gf's laptop as mine has broken so no hands will be posted (YET!!) or graphs either as I dont have a HUD or anything yet.

But hopefully after i grind the shit outta the micro stakes ill be able to get one.

So, thats me really, in a nut shell - i'll try and keep the boring text to a min and get some hands up soon. I've never blogged either so this is a first and will try to keep it updated!

I'll leave you with this. Our fav - Miss Liv Boeree

Starting BR - $50.00
  • 89 replies
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      So i had a bit of spewy start and was down a couple buy ins - mainly cause i didnt listen to myself and just said 2its only 12cents - call" which was pretty stupid.

BUT i came away from the table, read some articles, did a LOT of the basic quizzes on here and sat back down at the tables and I'm very glad to say that I made about 6 buy ins profit.

Very small hand sample size, only about 1150 hands or so, but i felt like i wasnt tilting, and playing pretty well.

Starting BR - $50.00
      Current BR - $62.46
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      Just a quick one before i go to bed as its 2 in the morning here and ive had a full day of work as well.

Managed to flop quads 3 times tonight which was always nice and seemed to get paid off for the most part! :s_love:

Feel like im playing well at the moment, getting my fair share of luck and playing nicely in some spots also. I'm gonna start saving my hand history as i will really need to to start studying my play a bit more.

IF anyone has any comment or questions im happy to answer them :)

Starting BR - $50.00
      Current BR - $69.62
      Hands played at NL2 - 2100
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      couple of tunes i like to listen to while playing! its a wide mix of things really!

• joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver

Starting BR - $50.00
      Current BR - $69.62
      Hands played at NL2 - 2100
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      Bit of an annoying couple sessions earlier today. I managed to claw most of it back but still down 20bb for the sessions.

Today i was dealt AA 11 times in about 700 hands or so, 1 of which i doubled up, but 7 i didnt get called pre (which is okay i know) and 3 i was felted myself.

1st was against TT - river T
      2nd against KJ :heart: - river :heart:
      3rd against 25o - turned a straight on my set

Im just complaining a bit but it meant i had to gain my composure back and work hard to make it back.

Sorry for the lack of actual hand history. Need to get on that asap.

Starting BR - $50.00
      Current BR - $69.14
      Hands played at NL2 - 2888
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      hit a bit of a blip in tonights session, down a few BIs, 4 and 1/2 to be precise! But when you go all in with AA and the whole table calls, i guess its not your night!

ofcourse the J4 hits two 4s on the board haha! beat the pocket KK as well!

BUT, its not that bad, i know there has been much worse than people losing 4 BIs! Just not my night! dont feel like i played A-game for most of it, may have contributed to the losses!

oh well, Ill get a good nights sleep and play better tomorrow

peace

Starting BR -$50.00
      Current BR - $61.14
      Hands played at NL2 - 3988
    • tryhardnoob
      tryhardnoob
      Bronze
      hey dude listened to some of the music you posted and i can recommend you this when grinding epic trance/techno
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Hey dude seems you are going pretty well :) Just a quick message really to let you know someone is reading.

Although, we have a chat group arranged in Skype if you'd be interested, it's just cash game players and if you have questions there should be people that can answer them for you.. We have players ranging from NL5 - NL50 at the the moment but most them started at the same place you are right now, and you are more than welcome to join. Mr Mardy Bum on Skype if you fancy it. :)
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      @tryhardnoob - ncie website - thank a lot for the heads up!!!

@MyMardyBum - yeah that sounds awesome man, I've only really idscovered Skype recently as my parents are sailing round europe and its a cheap way to stay in tough. Ill def add you to my contacts for sure!

Thanks for the message also, nice to know people actually read this, even though its also for my benefit, writing down how i feel and how ive played, still cool people read it!

So I've just woken up on a grey Sunday morning in Manchester and nothing i want to do more than to start grinding all day!

I'll Start with doing some quizzes, they seem to put me in the right mindframe to play.

Cheers guys

Starting BR - $50.00
      Current BR - $61.14
      Hands played at NL2 - 3988
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      Back to winning ways!!

Its always nice after a losing session the day before to come back and make most of it back. I played three 1 and 1/4 hour long sessions today, the 1st 2 were frustrating and pretty much break even but the last one was good, I had some lunch, chilled my head for 20 mins and came back to the tables fresh and finished up for the day.

I still made some silly errors i think, and i was unsure in quite a few spots so i ended up folding when im not sure if that was the right line. Maybe a bit nitty of me but i always tighten up a lot after losing the day before i think. Maybe this is a good thing, maybe not. Something to work on maybe!

A couple hands id like to share with you, these are not from a hand history file so please excuse the simplicity of them.

Hand 1

Hero MP1 - A :spade: J :spade:
      Villian MP2 (unknown) - ?

Hero Raises - $0.08
      Villian Reraises - $0.24
      Hero - ???

I opted a fold, was this too tight? im not a fan of playing AJ OOP!

Hand 2 - different table

Hero MP2 - A :club: K :club:
      Villian MP3 (unknown)

Hero raises - $0.08
      Villian Calls - $0.08
      Pot - $0.19

FLOP - A :heart: 7 :heart: 6 :spade:

Hero C-bets for value and protection - $0.14
      Villian Min Raises - $0.28
      Hero Calls
      Pot - $0.71

Turn - 4 :heart:

Hero - Check
      Villian bets - $0.54
      Hero - Folds

He may well have out played me, or the A on the flop was the case A i just dont know. Could i have just shipped it there? didnt like the 3hearts on board or his pre flop 3bet. Just felt pretty strong the whole hand.

So,yeah, a couple spots i was unsure of today but all in all im glad to be back on track a bit! I'm finished on the tables for teh day, im off to train with my parkour buddies.

Peace

Starting BR - $50.00
      Current BR - $66.22
      Hands played at NL2 - 5177
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Hand one - Without stats and vs an unknown easy fold for the reason you mentioned - Plus, J,A doesn't play well in 3-bet pots, because if an A drops it's unlikely you are ahead and if the flop is J-high, you still can't be comfortable OOP especially after giving up the betting lead - Could easy be an overpair. Nice fold.

Hand Two - Little more tricky, again without reads on villain makes it more so. Although, you can't really put QQ+ AK in his range here as he only opted to call pre-flop, and not 3-bet, and as he would have position on us I really don't think he call with the top of his range.

Flop - This flop is very draw heavy, but without knowing anything about the villain I'd say min-raise is very strong - There are just two many hands that might contain 2 :heart: 's K,J - J,Q - 8,9 - 4,5 (maybe a bit far fetched) 5,6 - 9,T - T,J or he could already have taken the lead with 6,6 - 7,7. I think you have to call the min-raise here though. As villain is unknown we don't know if A,6+ is in his range or not either.

Turn - One of the worst for your hand and think the check/fold is definitely the best option, there is now way to many hands that lose too. 2/3rd's pot size bet definitely looks like he wants to get as much money in the pot as possible. I think it leaves you no choice.

But I am not the best at hand evaluations as I comment on the hands in the hand evaluation forum sometimes and usually the judges have a completely different view. :D

But practice makes perfect! If it makes you feel any better about folding here this is generally what I think you are going to see.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($11.66)
      BB ($5.78)
      UTG ($10.27)
      UTG+1 ($7.24)
      UTG+2 ($3.99)
      MP1 ($3.70)
      Hero ($19.67)
      BTN ($6.55)

Dealt to Hero Q:club: J:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.35, fold, SB calls $0.30, fold

FLOP ($0.80) T:heart: 5:heart: J:diamond:

SB checks, Hero bets $0.61, SB calls $0.61

TURN ($2.02) T:heart: 5:heart: J:diamond: 2:diamond:

SB checks, Hero bets $1.40, SB calls $1.40

RIVER ($4.82) T:heart: 5:heart: J:diamond: 2:diamond: 8:club:

SB bets $9.30 (AI), Hero calls $9.30

SB shows 5:diamond: 5:club:
      (Pre 51%, Flop 93.2%, Turn 100.0%)

Hero shows Q:club: J:spade:
      (Pre 49%, Flop 6.8%, Turn 0.0%)

SB wins $22.27

Villain in this hand is a fish (43/30) and as he check/called on the flop and turn - I put him on a FD, then when the donk all in on the river arrives I put him on a busted FD and after tanking for a while (he had made this move previous against others at the table) I convinced myself I was ahead. And destroyed my decent session, so I think you left the hand at the right time.
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      @MrMardyBum - Its very annoying when u have a good read on someone bu tthey just happen to flop well against you - ive certainly been in that position so i definatly sympathise with ya on that one.

Sticky Sixtys!!

Currently i cant quite get out of the $60 range at the moment! i was up just over $70 but finished that session below. I've felt a bit swingy the past couple sessions but feel like im still playing my A-game! had over pairs sucked out on by sets today and did well to bring back the session to a break even one.

Lets see what the next session has in store for me.....

Thread Saver -
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      HAD AN ABSOLUTE SHOCKER!!!!!

$51.50 is my current BR! whatever i ddi tonight just didnt work. my c bets and raises were re raised. the last had i turned the nut straight only to be rivered for full house. I had full houses cracked my quads, flushes over flushes, sets of sets you name it, it went wrong tonight! which obviously made me play a good bit worse than i normally would have. I can handle one or two bad beats a session but no mere mortal could resist tilt on a night like i had tonight!!

I'm gonna take a couple days off, study for a bit and come back fresh and prepared!

Oh well.....

Starting BR - $50.00
      Current BR - $51.56
      Hands Played at NL2 - 7200
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      Sooo I'm silver status now!!!! Which means lots of new study material and quizzes for me' to look over! Some new vids as well!

I havnt played since the other disaster night! Just been trying to think what I did wrong! Sometimes there was nothing I could do but I imagine lots of other times there were things I could have done better!'

I think playing very late at night didn't help! I was tired, even if I didn't feel tired, I'm sure my mind was not it's sharpest!

I'll prob not be able to play it a while as I'm working late today and tomorrow then I'm off to London for the weekend with some friends!

But I'll continue to study and read when I get the chance!
    • NeilSimpson
      NeilSimpson
      Bronze
      for a start the crazy homes games will never end they are in full flow!!PLO has even been introduced!!keep grinding away and ul crack it eventually, as soon as i get some $$$ il be back on to attack NL50 again, hopefully without deciding to play PLO on tilt and blow my roll!!shame we're broke for this weekend or empire cash game would be getting hit up!!
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      Haha yeah tell me' about it! Would love some empire cash game action! I'll look forward to your return brother! I'm getting a new laptop soon, get some hem software going and starting taking this world by storm!

PLO home games? Oh shit! Is it round of each or just PLO?

Not much to actually report to my blog, vie read some new articles and re read some old! Lots more work to be done! This needs to happen!
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      So I', back from a MESSY weekend in London with my mates for the rugby! 7's at Twickenham and then a class bar for the Heinikan Cup Final which was the best game of rugby i think i have ever watched!

Poker wise - I got my copy of Poker Mindset back from my friend so on my trip home i read the 1st few chapters again and realised my mindset is fucked haha! So its good to read that again and try and remember what it says while i play!

Also, im in the market for a new laptop and was thinking something like this.

http://www.dabs.com/products/toshiba-satellite-c660-155-core-i3-380m-2-53ghz-4gb-320gb-15-6--windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-laptop-7BH9.html

I have about £350 to spend, so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions then i am all ears!!!

I'm gonna read a one article and watch oen vid today before playing anything and get my head right before i play - get some food and water then sit down for a couple sessions

i realised last week a played a lot more than i studied so this week ill be trying to even things out
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      Swingy Swingy

Very swingy last couple sessions, from losing 4 buy ins to winning 5 its was a bit of a rollarcoaster.

But when i guy calls a 3 bet with 82s and flops a flush against you top set its hard to put him on it really! I rarely give credit for flopped flushes, maybe its something i should think about more often.

One hand in particular i wanted to post (again, still on the other laptop so no saved HH but ill do my best!)

NL2 FL, everyone has full stacks

Hero BB - 7 :heart: 7 :club:
      MP2 - ??
      BU - ??

MP2 raises to $0.08, BU calls, Hero calls

Flop - A :heart: Q :club: 7 :diamond:

Hero Checks, MP2 bet $0.22, BU calls, Hero raises to $0.60

Hero gets uncalled back
      Hero wins pot

My line here was to hopefully slowplay against one opponent, I was pretty sure the flop had hit one of them so i was hoping that MP2 was C-bet, BU fold and i would call to extract more value on turn.

Usually agasint one opponent i would donk it to build value as on a board like that they would usually have a piece of it.

The call from the Bu threw me off and i didnt want to just call but check raise is very strong, probably too strong, especially against 2 opponents!

Anyway, i came back from being at $41.xx to $51.xx which im pleased at, of course some was luck, i redrew on the river for a full house against a guy who turned a flush

But i'd like to think that most of it was good play. Most of the time i knew exactly where i was in the hand, or that my plan for the hand went well.

I realise that im still only $1.70 up after 8500 hands but thats still in the black and not the red so i just need to keep learning and keep playing well.

Starting BR - $50.00
      Current BR - $51.70
      Hands at NL2 - 8980
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      Quick little session to end the day only about 500 hands or so! Not a lot to report on this one! Just writing the current br etc

Starting BR - $50.00
      Current BR - $53.20
      Hands Played at NL2 - 9620 (abouts)