[NL2-NL10] NL4 SH - Continuing my KK saga.

• luizsilveira
      Had KK three times in today's session, all in the blinds. 3bet all three times (of course), got 4bet twice, shoved, and ran into AA both times (at least a K came once, I have to suck out people for a change).

This is the third one. Villain is loose aggressive, playing 38/34 infinite AF, but I only have 70 hands. Still, 38/34 in 6max is "a bit" too much, aye? Steal att. 54, so it appears he is tighter UTG.

PartyGaming - $0.04 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: $5.00
      SB: $4.10
      Hero (BB): $10.31
      UTG: $1.32
      MP: $3.98
      CO: $2.75

SB posts SB $0.02, Hero posts BB $0.04

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero has K:spade: K:club:

fold, MP raises to $0.12, fold, BTN calls $0.12, fold, Hero raises to $0.44, MP calls $0.32, BTN calls $0.32

Flop: ($1.34, 3 players) J:spade: J:club: Q:heart:
      Hero checks, MP bets $1.28, fold, fold

MP wins $1.28

Of course it was a tough fold, but you can imagine my thoughts. The most important one was not be so willing to stack off on this board, because for sure I would have to (this villain would barrel having the goods or not). So my options (as played) were, I think, fold or check-raise all-in. On top of that, his pot size bet looked ridiculously strong on a 3bet pot against two live players in the hand.

At that point, I felt like I was losing to too many hands. Any J, and I think there were many on his range. Not sure he would shove QQ pre as well.

On the other hand, I realize my check was too weak of course, but what an ugly board to cbet. For value? What worse would call me there except, maybe, AQ/KQ?

So, yeah, folded. Maybe it was some kind of tilt, like being tired of stacking off 5x a day with KK.

I have been told, more than once, that I have a big leak of not letting go good hands when the board is too ugly for me, so I'm trying to adapt. I just hope I didn't go too far :f_biggrin:
  • 3 replies
    • Smashie
      he could just as well have AQ/KQ, some low pp he decides to bluff with or AK there. Folding against that villain is probably way to weak with an overpair in a 3bet pot. I'd call and play way ahead/way behind. Gives him an opportunity to bluff or "value"bet a queen there once more on the turn.

Against hyperaggro villains we need to be able to go broke pretty lightly, even though it can be scary :p
    • veriz
      Hello luizsilveira,

The thing is, if he really had there Jx or Qx, do you really think he would make pot size bet? I would like never think of it, he would rather try to trap. And therefore as played I would as well rather Check/Call it and not really a great board to give up while he may have a lot of worse pairs/TP type of hands. And one thing more to mention is that he ain't even fully stacked, I am going broke against him.

Best regards.
    • luizsilveira
      @ Veriz

Ahn, yes, he is fully stacked, it was me who was doing well and had 250BB :D

Thanks for the evaluation, I do agree with you.

@ Smashie

I do agree it's too weak.

I'm pretty sure I'd have played differently if not having a 8BI downswing the day before. It's a spot/board I'd cbet a high % of the time, and if check at least check call if not check/raise AI. After BTN fold, I think MP would stack off any queen, and possibly something like TT, 99 considering the odds he would get and his profile so far.

The thing I thought, too, is what the hell does he think I could have? BTN probably had low PP, so fine, but the only squeeze range he could beat from me was a pure bluff 3bet and maybe AK (even though open ended with overcards), so I still think it's a pretty ugly spot for him to bluff air vs. 2 opponents.

Funny enough, after the downswing I started playing this nitty, came back down to 2 tables (and a short while after, added a 3rd), and got 4BI back. Today I played a small session, back to "normal" game, and already stacked off twice - once with QQ overpair agains combodraw (flush came) and other with AJ on shoving TTA, A turn, villain made a bigger full house on Q river (he had AQ, I thought AQ or AK on his range but went of course for the split with the $ already on pot).

Of course it all boils down to variance, but more and more I question if you really have to stick it in on weird spots to make profit on NL4.

The funny thing is, when I play on 888 I play a whole different game. The villains are so bad there/loose calling stations, I only play the nuts and almost nothing else. Never 3bet except AA and KK. Not even AK. And have a ridiculous winrate there, never really had a downswing there exept of course 1 or 2BI on occasion. Then on Party or Full Tilt I try to play a "better" game, but only to swing a lot - quite often to the down side.

Something I do have to change in my game, as I've been swinging up and down only to break even on Party (last 10k hands) with a winrate of 3BB/100 over 25K hands, and only going down on FT NL5 (I make $ on NL2 FR, go to NL5 SH and lose it back, right now a ridiculous -16BB/100 on 5k hands even though by bankroll is still up thanks to NL2).