This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL4 SH - Continuing my KK saga.

• luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Had KK three times in today's session, all in the blinds. 3bet all three times (of course), got 4bet twice, shoved, and ran into AA both times (at least a K came once, I have to suck out people for a change).

This is the third one. Villain is loose aggressive, playing 38/34 infinite AF, but I only have 70 hands. Still, 38/34 in 6max is "a bit" too much, aye? Steal att. 54, so it appears he is tighter UTG.

PartyGaming - $0.04 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: $5.00
      SB: $4.10
      Hero (BB): $10.31
      UTG: $1.32
      MP: $3.98
      CO: $2.75

SB posts SB $0.02, Hero posts BB $0.04

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero has K:spade: K:club:

fold, MP raises to $0.12, fold, BTN calls $0.12, fold, Hero raises to $0.44, MP calls $0.32, BTN calls $0.32

Flop: ($1.34, 3 players) J:spade: J:club: Q:heart:
      Hero checks, MP bets $1.28, fold, fold

MP wins $1.28

Of course it was a tough fold, but you can imagine my thoughts. The most important one was not be so willing to stack off on this board, because for sure I would have to (this villain would barrel having the goods or not). So my options (as played) were, I think, fold or check-raise all-in. On top of that, his pot size bet looked ridiculously strong on a 3bet pot against two live players in the hand.

At that point, I felt like I was losing to too many hands. Any J, and I think there were many on his range. Not sure he would shove QQ pre as well.

On the other hand, I realize my check was too weak of course, but what an ugly board to cbet. For value? What worse would call me there except, maybe, AQ/KQ?

So, yeah, folded. Maybe it was some kind of tilt, like being tired of stacking off 5x a day with KK.

I have been told, more than once, that I have a big leak of not letting go good hands when the board is too ugly for me, so I'm trying to adapt. I just hope I didn't go too far :f_biggrin:
  • 3 replies
    • Smashie
      Smashie
      Bronze
      he could just as well have AQ/KQ, some low pp he decides to bluff with or AK there. Folding against that villain is probably way to weak with an overpair in a 3bet pot. I'd call and play way ahead/way behind. Gives him an opportunity to bluff or "value"bet a queen there once more on the turn.

Against hyperaggro villains we need to be able to go broke pretty lightly, even though it can be scary :p
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello luizsilveira,

The thing is, if he really had there Jx or Qx, do you really think he would make pot size bet? I would like never think of it, he would rather try to trap. And therefore as played I would as well rather Check/Call it and not really a great board to give up while he may have a lot of worse pairs/TP type of hands. And one thing more to mention is that he ain't even fully stacked, I am going broke against him.

Best regards.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      @ Veriz

Ahn, yes, he is fully stacked, it was me who was doing well and had 250BB :D

Thanks for the evaluation, I do agree with you.

@ Smashie

I do agree it's too weak.

I'm pretty sure I'd have played differently if not having a 8BI downswing the day before. It's a spot/board I'd cbet a high % of the time, and if check at least check call if not check/raise AI. After BTN fold, I think MP would stack off any queen, and possibly something like TT, 99 considering the odds he would get and his profile so far.

The thing I thought, too, is what the hell does he think I could have? BTN probably had low PP, so fine, but the only squeeze range he could beat from me was a pure bluff 3bet and maybe AK (even though open ended with overcards), so I still think it's a pretty ugly spot for him to bluff air vs. 2 opponents.

Funny enough, after the downswing I started playing this nitty, came back down to 2 tables (and a short while after, added a 3rd), and got 4BI back. Today I played a small session, back to "normal" game, and already stacked off twice - once with QQ overpair agains combodraw (flush came) and other with AJ on shoving TTA, A turn, villain made a bigger full house on Q river (he had AQ, I thought AQ or AK on his range but went of course for the split with the $ already on pot).

Of course it all boils down to variance, but more and more I question if you really have to stick it in on weird spots to make profit on NL4.

The funny thing is, when I play on 888 I play a whole different game. The villains are so bad there/loose calling stations, I only play the nuts and almost nothing else. Never 3bet except AA and KK. Not even AK. And have a ridiculous winrate there, never really had a downswing there exept of course 1 or 2BI on occasion. Then on Party or Full Tilt I try to play a "better" game, but only to swing a lot - quite often to the down side.

Something I do have to change in my game, as I've been swinging up and down only to break even on Party (last 10k hands) with a winrate of 3BB/100 over 25K hands, and only going down on FT NL5 (I make $ on NL2 FR, go to NL5 SH and lose it back, right now a ridiculous -16BB/100 on 5k hands even though by bankroll is still up thanks to NL2).