Hypnosis the key to the perfect poker mindset?

• 9 replies
    • Cardbender
      Cardbender
      Bronze
      Hmm

This is an interesting idea. Well I can say I have tried to be put in hypnosis and it didn't work "I gave it a fair shot".

But those stage hypnosis guys always get people to hump chairs.

Many people also quit drinking, smoking, gambling etc via hypnosis.

In my opinion the power of suggestion and the willingness of the patient/participant to want to quit or have fun humping the chair is why hypnosis works.

Essentially if you can't or don't want to stop yourself from smoking, tilting or "not"chair humping hypnosis probably won't work.

I wouldn't waste time with hypnosis and just change my ways.

Tilting sucks I do it and it definitively hurts my BR. I was tilting all of 2010 i think. :D

Anyone else have thoughts regarding hypnosis or fornicating with chairs?
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Cardbender
      In my opinion the power of suggestion and the willingness of the patient/participant to want to quit or have fun humping the chair is why hypnosis works.

Essentially if you can't or don't want to stop yourself from smoking, tilting or "not"chair humping hypnosis probably won't work.
      This is essentially what Derren Brown says about it in "Tricks of the Mind".

But if you are open to it then it will likely help you - placebo effect ftw!
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      I used to be more skeptical about hypnosis, but after reading that it is being used to provide relief for people with gastrointestinal disorders, a largely biological (rather than psychological) phenomenon, it started to seem like a viable and interesting area of study.

Using hypnosis to develop a stronger mindset at the table is a really interesting idea. I too have tried to be put under once when i was in high school. It didn't work.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Hypnosis is mumbo-jumbo.

Instead you should open your chakras, tune your third eye to receive cosmic energy and ask astral beings to grant you some extra bucks at NL10.
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      Hypnosis is mumbo-jumbo.
      There's a growing body of medical evidence that would disagree with you. ;)

Now...whether you call hypnosis a delivery mechanism for a placebo or a recognised treatment in it's own right is up for debate. On whichever side of that fence you fall, it's clear that for some conditions hypnosis is effective and some studies also suggested that it's more effective than other placebos.

@Hlynkinn, Cardbender: if either of you try it out, please let us know what you think!

On the other hand, there are of course other ways to avoid Tilt. Try Somnius' video series on The Neuropsychology of Poker (from Gold Status) for some more ideas here.

Best,

Marc
      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      These are not the droids you are looking for
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
    • breena
      breena
      Bronze
      It worked for my old man and Grandad to give up smoking neither have touched the demon weed ever since and this was 20 years ago.

My Grandad was also a chain smoker so I do believe it can and does work

derran Browns just a sicko theres nothing he cant do I think he is really the devil :D
    • Wryzeth
      Wryzeth
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      These are not the droids you are looking for
      :f_love: :f_love: :f_love: