This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Fold equity

  • 3 replies
    • BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      Joined: 15.10.2010 Posts: 2,122
      I think it's the equity you gain if your opponent folds.
    • axeboy90
      axeboy90
      Bronze
      Joined: 26.01.2010 Posts: 3,023
      Fold equity is the probability that villain will fold to our raise.

      >> Fold equity

      See the Glossary for more.


      GL.
    • zwink
      zwink
      Bronze
      Joined: 07.06.2009 Posts: 12
      It is the equity gained when your opponent folds, giving up his equity.

      For example: If you have AK and you opponent has 22 and the pot is lets say 10$ the equity is essentially 50-50 or a coin-flip. So if you go all-in and he call you every time this is break-even in the long run. However in real life when you go all in he will often fold, giving up on his 50% equity in this pot. If for example he folds 30% of the time then 30% off the time you pick up the 10$ pot while the other 70% of the time you will be break even. So total it is a +EV (positive expected value play) to raise.

      This is one of the main reasons why it is (almost) always better to be the aggressor when playing a pot.