Is NL2 really hard to get out of?

• cosmos989
      cosmos989
      Bronze
      I deposited $50 of my own money into Pokerstars.

I went straight to the NL2 games, and only after about 2 hours I had only made like 8 cents.

I lost my patience, and started playing a few more hands and lost like 50 cents.

Then I got a few good hands and lost them to monsters; probably because I just got tunnel vision and didn't really pay attention the board.

For example, I got JJ and the flop was something like 6h-8d-Js, so I got anxious and bet just a little, the turn card was 5d, I pushed and he stood ground. River didn't matter.

Then bang, 7-9 suited, he had the straight. Lost like 2 dollars on that hand.

Then I went on tilt; because to make the money back patiently seems like a long, boring and tedious task.
  • 4 replies
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Hey,

well when you say is NL2 hard to get out of...

Depends what you mean. Skill level, money level.

Poker isn't (generally) for people who want quick profits, and want to move up the stakes like nobody. To get good at poker requires a lot of patience, dealing with bad beats (where you're like 98% to win a hand, then lose it).

You can't expect to turn the 50$ playing NL2 into a roll for NL5 (normally about $125) without playing a lot, and learning and evaluating your play as you go.

But as for skill wise, no. I shouldn't really say that cos i'm still fishy fishy. But, if you play tight abc poker, you won't have that much trouble moving up the limits.

Tilting is certainly your worst enemy. At this level as well, sometimes you finish up 10c or whatever, pretty much break even, and it feels like nothing.

Hope that helps a bit
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      I spent a good 100k hands at nl2 all because I played like a muppet for like 50k of them.

If you follow the charts in strategy here you will crush nl2 on auto pilot, don't try anything fancy and don't bluff unless you have mega reads that this is actually a villain that can fold top pair!

When you have a hand like TPTK or better just fire three streets for value, you will get called so much by worse that this is profitable almost any time. Obviously the more you realise when it's not +EV to do this the higher your win rate will be... Be prepared to have some fish call two streets on a drawy board, hit a flush\straight on the river and shove back at you often - When this happens just suck it up and fold... They usually have it. You make so much from them when they don't hit that if you can actually find the fold button when they do you're basically printing money.

All stuff I wish I had caught on to much sooner :f_confused: NL2 is easy when you know how.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wurble
      I spent a good 100k hands at nl2 all because I played like a muppet for like 50k of them.

If you follow the charts in strategy here you will crush nl2 on auto pilot, don't try anything fancy and don't bluff unless you have mega reads that this is actually a villain that can fold top pair!

When you have a hand like TPTK or better just fire three streets for value, you will get called so much by worse that this is profitable almost any time. Obviously the more you realise when it's not +EV to do this the higher your win rate will be... Be prepared to have some fish call two streets on a drawy board, hit a flush\straight on the river and shove back at you often - When this happens just suck it up and fold... They usually have it. You make so much from them when they don't hit that if you can actually find the fold button when they do you're basically printing money.

All stuff I wish I had caught on to much sooner :f_confused: NL2 is easy when you know how.
      +1 Couldn't add to that
    • cosmos989
      cosmos989
      Bronze
      Thanks Guys