Live Sit n Go question (winner takes all)

• CreamyGoodness
      CreamyGoodness
      Bronze
      Hi all

Im playing a live sit n go satallite tourney in my local bar in a few days. Its a 10 player game with the winner taking home a €500 ticket to a UKIPT event in my hometown. I play poker in this bar regularly. Most of the regs are suprisingly competant, but obviously have the usuall newby habits (dont adjust play according to blinds or table size, some overplay trouble hands and suited conns, personal superstitions, favourite hands, limp too much etc).

Only thing is, Ive never played a winner take all game. What is optimal strategy? Should I deviate my standard TAG game (which has worked very well in the last six months against the regs in this game) and mix things up? Should I play even tighter?

I remember Barry Greenstein mentioning on an episode of PAD that you have to be willing to gamble a little more (on draws etc) in winner take all games (please dont think that I use TV poker as an educational tool, but Im very ignorant re winner takes all).

Maybe Im overthinking things, but winning this ticket would mean so much to me. It would be my first big tournament, and it would be a great experience.

By the way, over 400 tickets have already been sold for this thing, making the prize pool over 200k!!!
  • 9 replies
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Just play to win basically. So i agree with Barry here. There's no value in second place like in regular sng's. So you should be willing to gamble to get a big chip stack to win it. Simply because getting second 5 times is worth nothing but getting first 1 out of 5 times is.

You don't want to over do it though. So i'd just adjust to how the table is playing and just play a bit more agressively.
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      Just because it is winner takes all doesn't mean you should take -EV gambles. Just play good poker and push wide from late positions when short (they probably won't adjust enough).
    • CreamyGoodness
      CreamyGoodness
      Bronze
      Thats what I had in mind, opening a bit more in late position, and playing very LAG later on, when we're really high and really short.

Thanks guys.
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Do this:

• bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CreamyGoodness
      Thats what I had in mind, opening a bit more in late position, and playing very LAG later on, when we're really high and really short.

Thanks guys.
      This made me imagine a stoned midget
    • goldchess
      goldchess
      Bronze
      Winner takes all just means there are no ICM considerations, just play according to chipEV
    • CreamyGoodness
      CreamyGoodness
      Bronze
      @ Bennisboy: Good video, but I doubt that would work. We're actually quite deepstacked in this thing, with 15k stacks and 25min blinds starting @ 25/50. Pushing every hand would result in winning a few hundred in blinds before someone calls me with a big pair, or makes a hero call with AQs.

Also, I tried to find you a pic of a stoned midget, but theyre suprisingly hard to find!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in here. Game starts in five hours. Any last minute comments welcome!
    • Washdogg
      Washdogg
      Bronze
      IMO just play TAG and try to get HU... if ur the best player there try and get HU and outplay him with small ball. Works for me in WTA points tourneys on Titan.
    • CreamyGoodness
      CreamyGoodness
      Bronze
      All to no avail!

Got knocked out in the third level. Lost half my stack when my Aces ran into a mighty K6o in the BB, and went out a couple of hands later when my all in with top pair (jacks) was called by A high flush draw, A on turn.

Dose.

Thanks to all who chimed in though!