Luck Factor

• FrankPank
      FrankPank
      Bronze
      When I first got into poker, I was amazed to finally find a card game involving money and skills.. but I am having the worst downswing ever and I thinking about quitting... NOT ONLY do YOU need to get lucky, but you also need others NOT TO get lucky againts you.. this is ridiculous, I improved my game alot since the begining.. I can choose my spot verry well.. AND SOME FREAKING LUCKY GUY with J3o hits a RANDOM 3 on the river for a double pair againts ACES.. pairing a 9 on the flop with K9o againts pocket 8s.. backdoor flush draw with 24s againts my AK... TBH, I am not a gambler, I am a gamer, and I HATE RANDOM FUCKS and there are plently at poker.. I just has to post this whatever you guys have to say go ahead
  • 9 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FrankPank
      whatever you guys have to say go ahead
      fuck you
    • FrankPank
      FrankPank
      Bronze
      Aprreciate it
    • rbdflyboy
      rbdflyboy
      Bronze
      Just finished reading one of Daniel Negreanu's books. He's explicit about only going all in with the absolute nuts and that hand made by the turn. That way if the hand turns bad one can get out of it cheap. Think about if everyone shoves preflop, who really has the best hand...no one...until the river. In an all in situation preflop obviously there's no turning back so one has to accept the outcome. He emphasizes playing the hand to extract value and to minimize losses. Makes perfect sense to me. Been in your shoes lots so have many others...in my case I've changed my style of play. An example I've got kk and raise preflop and attract one caller. The flop comes rags and buddy bets hard into me. I used the whole time clock and folded showing him KK. He came back in the chat box and told me good fold he'd hit a set of 9's and gave me congrats on the fold. If your a gamer then be one.

PS I think buddy above has his comment backwards.
    • Blade90
      Blade90
      Bronze
      God, how many of these discussions are u ppl gonna make? If u feel like quiting do that, if u want advice then say so. And my advice is keep improving as we all must do, have good bankroll management and accept that downswings are a standard part of playing poker. So basicly what i am saying is this: If you are really a winning player you are winning money even on those days when you are losing. Example: today you win 200 dollars, but u r playing 3 dollar sngs. It is unrealistic to expect to win 200 in a day. So if u lose 100 tommorow u actually won 50 both of those days. Applied over a bigger sample thats called ROI (return of investment).... ETC.....
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Originally posted by FrankPank
      whatever you guys have to say go ahead
      fuck you

:f_love:
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      good poker players will recover from downswings.

Take a few days off, watch some youtube videos of Hellmuth getting badbeat, and you'll feel much better. Come back refreshed and ready to win :D
    • swazey
      swazey
      Bronze
      when your all in wit aces pre flop you have around an 80% chance of winning. which means that 1 in 5 times your gonna loose but wen that shit happens u gotta think positive (not easy) and think that probability now owes you in the long run. also the guy who was all in with j3o did what you wanted him to do (he got lucky which sucks) but you need people to make mistakes, or you couldnt make money. p.s i agree with rbdflyboy. small ball poker is the most skillfull
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      :D
    • NoOneSpcl
      NoOneSpcl
      Bronze
      Heh not much to add here.
      Just one correction to one of the posts:

Probability never owes you. It's incorrect to think that if 10 1% events occurred one after the other (you've lost despite being a 99-1 favorite), you're "owed", in any way, shape or form, to have a higher % the 11th time you're in a similar situation.

That's not the meaning of long term expected value. And actually, it's quite unhealthy to think that, as it may be correctly proven wrong, at times.

It's just that over a large enough sample size, not only will there be an equal chance of another downswing or an upswing, but also, the previous downswing will slowly turn insignificant in terms of %, so it will no longer affect our ROI, BB/100 etc.

:)

Lots of luck. The most important thing is to keep leaning and to maintain your emotions in check with these things.