Low Flushes at Micro Stakes

• bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      So here's an aspect of my game I always struggle with, and I was wondering how other people tend to play them.

Lets say the hand goes like this:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($3.95)
      BB ($10)
      Hero ($10.66)
      CO ($10)
      BTN ($10.10)

Dealt to Hero 6:heart: 7:heart:

Hero raises to $0.30, fold, BTN calls $0.30, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.75) 5:heart: A:spade: K:heart:

Hero bets $0.56, BTN calls $0.56

TURN ($1.87) 5:heart: A:spade: K:heart: A:heart:

Hero bets $1.40, BTN calls $1.40

RIVER: BLANK

Hero ???

Now here it feels like the BTN is drawing, and may have connected. There was no re-raise on the turn, suggesting he might not be that confident of his flush draw being high enough, but did call from the button, so could have suited one-gappers, or maybe a good pair.

I always struggle with low flushes to tell if i am ahead or behind, and as a result I think I miss out on value a lot of the time by just checking behind, or check calling on the river.

How do you guys prefer to play low flushes, and how does it vary with your position (above is obviously OOP)
  • 14 replies
    • fishnumber1
      fishnumber1
      Bronze
      You just bet the river and if he shoves then if he is tight it means his not bluffing, if raises alot of pots he maybe bluffing or NOT
      SIMPLE
      Actually I am a Maniac and if i called with AK 2 streets ill definetly shove the river to maybe look like a bluff to your small flush
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      In that particular hand I'd check/fold the river because if you bet you're not really getting called by worse very often unless you have reads that villain will stack off with Ax on that board.. Generally with low flushes I'm not playing for stacks - when the money goes in it's usually against the A or K high flush at the micros. I think playing low flushes passively is the best way to try and keep the pot relatively small unless we're against someone we have good reads on that tell us to do otherwise.
    • fishnumber1
      fishnumber1
      Bronze
      What if he checks the river like you said and a MANIAC like me shoves
      What would you put me on?
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wurble
      In that particular hand I'd check/fold the river because if you bet you're not really getting called by worse very often unless you have reads that villain will stack off with Ax on that board.. Generally with low flushes I'm not playing for stacks - when the money goes in it's usually against the A or K high flush at the micros. I think playing low flushes passively is the best way to try and keep the pot relatively small unless we're against someone we have good reads on that tell us to do otherwise.
      Awesome, that is what I was thinking, if playing in position i tend to check behind, after all, small hands are for small pots! Plus it stops me getting reraised as a bluff, which is never nice if you are way ahead/way behind, but have no idea which! haha

Thanks for the advice
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fishnumber1
      What if he checks the river like you said and a MANIAC like me shoves
      What would you put me on?
      Given your accounts of how you play, and say I'd been in 20+ hands with you and see how you act, I'd call.

You bluff a lot, and as a maniac, odds are you just have random cards, so I'd be ahead most of the time in that spot. You'd only need to be bluffing just over half the time for me to stack off against you properly with +EV if we were even stacked
    • fishnumber1
      fishnumber1
      Bronze
      I wasnt really asking you, I was asking the gold player what he thinks but be certain that i will do that with air.
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      I wasnt really asking you, I was asking the gold player what he thinks but be certain that i will do that with air.
      lol, someone has no respect
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      lol gold doesn't mean much... I've just paid more rake! But anyway, against a maniac who's shoving complete air on rivers like that I'd trap you all day long with practically any piece of th board.
    • fishnumber1
      fishnumber1
      Bronze
      So under what nick do you play bennisboy?
      Thought about it but you should bet the river, because they could call with Aces, make it a defensive blocker bet
    • fishnumber1
      fishnumber1
      Bronze
      Against maniacs and lags, bluffers calling stations make the exact same thing with the nuts for value.
    • DannyG13
      DannyG13
      Bronze
      Bet/fold river, so many Ax, Kx hands in his range that will pay you off, missing value otherwise imo.
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      So under what nick do you play bennisboy?
      Thought about it but you should bet the river, because they could call with Aces, make it a defensive blocker bet
      under bennisboy on FTP
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DannyG13
      Bet/fold river, so many Ax, Kx hands in his range that will pay you off, missing value otherwise imo.
      cheers for the advice, makes perfect sense
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DannyG13
      +1

I was thinking the same.
      You can even consider calling a shove if you know he is playing Ax like it's gold.