Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.11
      MP3:
      $2

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:spade: , Q:spade:
      2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.06, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.16, BB folds, MP3 calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.34) J:spade: , 6:heart: , 2:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.22, MP3 calls $0.22.

Turn: ($0.78) 5:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.37, MP3 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.78

Preflop: oop with AQs I think I have to raise and take the initiative or fold. Not sure in hindsight whether this was the best spot, as a 22/5 guy is presumably open-raising quite a strong range. But on the other hand his WTS is not high so I think he can fold to initiative / aggression.

Flop: cbet. I can't represent much on this board except an overpair, but he's unlikely to have hit anything either.

Turn: my equity has improved with the flushdraw so I decide to 2nd barrel. Reason for the somewhat small bet sizing (about half pot) is that I think he either has a big hand (slow-played overpair or set) that will not fold, or overcards / lower pp that peeled once and will definitely fold, so my bet size does not make a big difference to my fold equity here.
  • 6 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello member001,

Preflop: Don't like the 3bet here at all against his PFR, rather just Call and play postflop against him. Basically we are turning our hand into bluff since we can't 3bet it for value against that kind of PFR.

As played
      Postflop: Seems to be fine while we might even have fold equity and as well managed to get extra equity on turn.

Best regards.
    • member001
      member001
      Bronze
      Thanks.

So it's ok to call out of position in such situations? From what I have been learning on PokerStrategy forums and elsewhere, I got the impression that calling out of position is usually quite fishy play and that most of the time I should either raise or fold. (When I call in such spots without position or initiative, I usually just miss then check/fold to a cbet, which seems to be burning money...)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by member001
      Thanks.

So it's ok to call out of position in such situations? From what I have been learning on PokerStrategy forums and elsewhere, I got the impression that calling out of position is usually quite fishy play and that most of the time I should either raise or fold. (When I call in such spots without position or initiative, I usually just miss then check/fold to a cbet, which seems to be burning money...)
      Nah, wrong impression. I do agree that a lot of coaches say that but I do still see us doing it pretty profitable by just calling as well. Why to just 3bet/Fold while we might hit big postflop and maybe even can make some strong hand to fold postflop vs him.
    • member001
      member001
      Bronze
      Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Is it maybe the case that the advice to avoid calling out of position is a good habit to get into that becomes more important at higher limits, and that's why some coaches say this, but that at the micros it can still be ok in spots like this one?
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold

Is it maybe the case that the advice to avoid calling out of position is a good habit to get into that becomes more important at higher limits, and that's why some coaches say this, but that at the micros it can still be ok in spots like this one?
      I think it´s rather that it helps you to avoid the mistakes as a begginer. I often have problems to play oop.

Veriz correct me if I am wrong.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by acceleration123

I think it´s rather that it helps you to avoid the mistakes as a begginer. I often have problems to play oop.

Veriz correct me if I am wrong.
      Yep, something similar. And basically if we 3bet then we mostly doing it for fold equity while we can't be sure that we are doing it for value. Plus why not to Call while we most often will be HU against him? If I had like a lot of players behind us then it would be other case.