SB = ($2.45)
      BB = ($1.93)
      UTG2 = ($5.38)
      MP1 (Hero) = ($8.18)
      MP2 = ($11.08)
      MP3 = ($1.68)
      CO = ($9.28)
      BU = ($5.00)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q :diamond: , A :spade: .
      UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.20, 4 folds, 3 folds, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.47) 9 :spade: , 3 :spade: , 8 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.29, MP3 calls $0.29.

Turn: ($1.05) 3 :club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.15, Hero calls $0.15.

River: ($1.35) 8 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: $1.35.

Questions here: Should I have re-raised the turn to a decent size, say, 2/3 pot, and should I have bet the river? Alternatively, should I have played the hand passively, aka, the way I did? If so, any improvements I should have made?
  • 7 replies
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      Hi,

I wouldn't c/r the turn. If you think he could call on flop with something like 44-77, you could try to shot another barrel to make him fold(don't know anything about opponent :) ) and you're ahead of gutshots like QJ, QT and OESD and he'll pay you with these. Betting river makes no sense since you split the pot with A high(don't know is there any in his range) and you're beat by 44+.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      The only reason I was planning on re-raising was the really small size of his bet, was thinking of re-raising to 2/3 pot, which is the same size as a value bet anyway. Of course, if I was checking anyway, that probably wouldn't be a good idea...
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Either barrel the turn or c/f it. I don´t really get the idea of check/calling.

Btw. you´ve said you werre valuebetting. What worse hands do you expect him to call you with to make this a valuebet ? Maybe a flush draw but you can´t really rely on that.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      I check/called because the bet was so small that I only needed to have about 12% equity to win, and I figured that my opponent couldn't beat an Ace or Queen on the river, because if he could, he would have bet more on the turn. You have a good point in that I shouldn't have bet the turn, because really, what calls me and doesn't beat me? It was a bluff, not a valuebet, and I see that now. I have a lot of leaks in my thought process, unfortunately.
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Originally posted by Salivanth
      I check/called because the bet was so small that I only needed to have about 12% equity to win, and I figured that my opponent couldn't beat an Ace or Queen on the river, because if he could, he would have bet more on the turn. You have a good point in that I shouldn't have bet the turn, because really, what calls me and doesn't beat me? It was a bluff, not a valuebet, and I see that now. I have a lot of leaks in my thought process, unfortunately.
      Ah, yeah .. I see that now ... well when the bet was soo small, I don´t think c/c is all that bad. Your overs are enough imo. He could do this with FD or so I believe.

About the thought process - as well I do have loot of leaks, don´t listen to me obv, just my opinion about the hand, listen to judges :) . Just wanted to say that it wasn´t a valubet :) .
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Yeah, I will be listening to the judges for how I should have played the hand itself, but I believe you're right, it certainly wouldn't have been value-betting.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Salivanth,

With Check/Raise you can't represent much that's the problem and basically if you had any kind of hand then you would rather CBet it while you want to protect. Therefore I'd basically just Check/Fold the turn even if this is somewhat small bet. We could easily just put ourselves into marginal spots on river if we do hit and he does bet bigger then.

But of course for the given odds ain't wrong to Call the turn but just usually would rather advice to avoid any further mistakes and just Check/Fold it or 2nd barrel.

Best regards.