[NL2-NL10] NL5 Rush - Gutshot semi-bluff

• slashng
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6, 6.
      4 folds, MP3 calls $0.05, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.15, 2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.15.

Flop: ($0.67) 9, 7, 5 (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.35, Hero raises to $1.03, MP3 calls $0.68.

Turn: ($2.73) 7 (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $1.36, MP3 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.73.

Opp's stats not available since sample size too small.

Pre-flop: Opp 3bet(min-raise) me and given that I'm in position + he is a short stack(I assume most ss players are fishy and can raise with a wide range of hands) which I think I'm ahead most of the time + given the odds, I made the call.

Flop: I have a gutshot here and I think I have fold equity against his range + the board was pretty dry. Therefore, I decided to raise his bet for a semi-bluff.

Turn: turn card was good + he checks which probably showing some weakness. Therefore, I decided to fire 2nd barrel and fold if he raise me.
  • 2 replies
    • acceleration123
      Preflop - note that he is limp/raising you, which I noticed that these players often do with nut hands like KK/AA so I´d call here but for different reasons that you´ve mentioned. I´d call here cause of the implied odds, he offers you these by min-raising, thank him and take it. They are having very hard time letting an overpair go after the flop.

But I´d fold the flop, he is not going anywhere here imo :D . Likely an overpair due to the preflop action or somewhat random (overcards, pair type of hand which I don´t think he is giving up).
    • veriz
      Hello slashng,

Not really big fan of your play, at the best I would just Call the flop and take the GS. Usually such a limp/raise preflop is often rather a strong hand than a weak one. And postflop we basically turning our hand into bluff and trying to make him fold some overpair.

Best regards.