Why you should never limp with good hand

• bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      So this hand happened to be my biggest win of the night, all because the SB tried to trick me into re-raising preflop by checking pocket 10s.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Replayer
      SB ($5.35)
      Hero ($11.26)
      UTG ($5)
      UTG+1 ($5.07)
      CO ($4.53)
      BTN ($5.10)

Dealt to Hero 3:club: 6:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, SB calls $0.03, Hero checks

FLOP ($0.10) 7:diamond: 3:spade: 6:heart:

SB bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.32, SB raises to $1.40, Hero raises to $11.21 (AI), SB calls $3.90 (AI)

TURN ($10.70) 7:diamond: 3:spade: 6:heart: 5:diamond:

RIVER ($10.70) 7:diamond: 3:spade: 6:heart: 5:diamond: 9:diamond:

SB shows T:heart: T:spade:
      (Pre 85%, Flop 27.9%, Turn 22.7%)

Hero shows 3:club: 6:spade:
      (Pre 15%, Flop 72.1%, Turn 77.3%)

Hero wins $9.99

He went absolutely ballistic and started calling me a fish, then shoved all in pre-flop for the next 4 hands.

I think he got even more annoyed when i explained it was his own fault, if he'd have raised, i wouldn't have defended 36o!

So that people, is why you never limp a good pocket pair, especially in 6-max!
  • 19 replies
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bennisboy
      I think he got even more annoyed when i explained it was his own fault, if he'd have raised, i wouldn't have defended 36o!
      Now thats just retarded.. poker table isnt a school, you should not tell ppl how to play better.

Any other pro tips broseph?
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      it was more just an attempt to make him tilt, which it did, and resulted in some more nice money coming my way :D
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by Alficor1
      Now thats just retarded.. poker table isnt a school, you should not tell ppl how to play better.
      Absolutely. Table coaching is just a sign of indiscipline. People normally PAY for sweats, not get them free from an opponent.

As for the OP, that sure is a nice BB special. :D I love it when a plan comes together that way.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Nice win!! i have had some of my biggest wins with small starting hands when villian has limped with a decent hand!!

Have just watched a video about small pot and big pot poker and this is exactly what it was talking about!!!

Not so sure about the free coaching, but if it wound him up then all is good! :P
      sounds like you had him on tilt, personally i like to just give them a wink icon when they are calling me names, as I know it winds me up when I get busted!!! lol :P
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      So this hand happened to be my biggest win of the night, all because the SB tried to trick me into re-raising preflop by checking pocket 10s.
      Can you explain how he can make you re-raise by limping?
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz
      +1 :D

Haha, sometimes you're a smart guy!
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by belayd

I have my moments :f_biggrin:
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Originally posted by belayd

I have my moments :f_biggrin:
      Everybody probably understood what was ment by that. So don´t be a nitpicker. :rolleyes:
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      meh everyone knew what i meant, but well done, have a cookie
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      you must have put him on trapping overpair by completing.
      :f_biggrin:
    • Schrader69
      Schrader69
      Silver
      never say never
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      lol dont worry you will get used to all the smart ass trolls on ps!!! :P
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Saruniks
      Yeah, about 25% of the time, he'd limp in the SB, I'd raise and he'd re-raise. I figured I had absolute air here, so why bother. Caught the flop in a big way.

I think he played the hand terribly. I mean he limped, then donked out, as soon as I raised and he re-raised, I put him on an over pair, so I shoved hoping he'd call and praying the board didn't pair and obliterate my two pair. But for him to call an all-in with just TT is mad. I mean the board has straight potential straight off, and shoving in that position clearly means either I have a high overpair like AA-QQ, or I've hit a set or straight (or even two pair!). The fact he just limped meant my range could be absolutely anything!
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Saruniks
      Yeah, about 25% of the time, he'd limp in the SB, I'd raise and he'd re-raise. I figured I had absolute air here, so why bother. Caught the flop in a big way.

I think he played the hand terribly. I mean he limped, then donked out, as soon as I raised and he re-raised, I put him on an over pair, so I shoved hoping he'd call and praying the board didn't pair and obliterate my two pair. But for him to call an all-in with just TT is mad. I mean the board has straight potential straight off, and shoving in that position clearly means either I have a high overpair like AA-QQ, or I've hit a set or straight (or even two pair!). The fact he just limped meant my range could be absolutely anything!
      oh ok, because it wouldn't make sence to risk 5$ for 0.1$ pot on flop itself with second worst hand (bottom two pair), because I don't know if top pair here would allin.

well maybe it's NL5 so it would make sence somehow.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roopopper

Meh. I actually didn't know what he meant. It doesn't make any sense really. I don't see a reason to attack SB limps that much as he was doing as he explained in this post above. You get a free flop and your in position. So i don't see any reason to start raising all kinds of trash after there is such a dynamic. If someone limp/folds a lot of SB ofcourse then i'd do it.

Unless he's really attacking limps a very high amount it's very bad to limp your good hand here. Might aswell raise and make it look like a steal. I really don't like limping alot of small blinds vs agressive players. Since your always at the disadvantage of position and it's impossible to know where your at on flops since opponents range can literally be anything.

Not sure if you called me a troll or him. But either way i'm done with retarded non-poker related discussions/arguments here on pokerstrategy. Especially in the community boards section. Where i get into arguments i couldn't care less about.
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roopopper

Meh. I actually didn't know what he meant. It doesn't make any sense really. I don't see a reason to attack SB limps that much as he was doing as he explained in this post above. You get a free flop and your in position. So i don't see any reason to start raising all kinds of trash after there is such a dynamic. If someone limp/folds a lot of SB ofcourse then i'd do it.

Unless he's really attacking limps a very high amount it's very bad to limp your good hand here. Might aswell raise and make it look like a steal. I really don't like limping alot of small blinds vs agressive players. Since your always at the disadvantage of position and it's impossible to know where your at on flops since opponents range can literally be anything.

Not sure if you called me a troll or him. But either way i'm done with retarded non-poker related discussions/arguments here on pokerstrategy. Especially in the community boards section. Where i get into arguments i couldn't care less about.
      He was limping not me, hence i took the free flop with air and hit, whereas he got screwed over by limping.

I only raised his limp when I had something half decent and wanted initiative after the flop, hence i didnt raise this time, and he hadn't made it look like a steal cos he just limped.

I think you got the story the wrong way around and thought that I limped
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      No, i'm just commenting on how what you said didn't make sense. As it's so retarded for him to limp good hands unless your raising a very high amount i.e. raising with trash trying to steal his blinds. No reason why i'm not allowed to comment on his play right?

Obviously you did nothing wrong as there is almost nothing you can do wrong in this hand.

edit: Not sure why i'm even bothering commenting my thoughts on the hand. Or even defending my post as it's a complete waste of my time. Such a bad -EV habit :f_mad:
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      No, i'm just commenting on how what you said didn't make sense. As it's so retarded for him to limp good hands unless your raising a very high amount i.e. raising with trash trying to steal his blinds. No reason why i'm not allowed to comment on his play right?

Obviously you did nothing wrong as there is almost nothing you can do wrong in this hand.

edit: Not sure why i'm even bothering commenting my thoughts on the hand. Or even defending my post as it's a complete waste of my time. Such a bad -EV habit :f_mad:
      lol it was not meant in a serious way, just joking around with you :P
      we would all miss your comments around here!!! :P
    • svendeucer
      svendeucer
      Bronze
      perfect example of why you either raise or fold.
      i had a similar sitch today where i was in bb and the button after the rest of the table folds(yeah the button) limped in with Ax. I had all of 8 5 , which i gladly would have given up, if for the fact that i didn't already pay for. so flop gives me trips and this poker guru a pair of aces. they proceed to slow play me and i bet out half the pot they call and i spike the 5.of course they proceed to berate me for catching. yeah i'm a donk ...really you clown. instead of thinking your pair of aces was good you could have told me so before the flop and saved your stack (was an mtt ). sorry you are limp bud .i'm stiff so deal.

edit on a personal level...no one is a clown ,you all do not amuse me (i'm too canadian) and i apologize if you have some kind of disfunction that causes you to think less with your brain and moreso with your other main blood absorbing organ.