Diary of a Micro Warrior

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey dude nice blog. seems like you used to be like what im like now - i accepted a few weeks ago that i was shit and need to improve and go back to the beginning to relearn poker properly. i'll be reading your blog man

and good song :D
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      ha cheers dude, good luck.

I haven't put huge hours in, but I'm not expecting to be the next Tom Dwan, I just don't have time really. I'm getting by at the micros and have my ups and downs, but hey it's fun and gives me a way to waste some time!

That reminds me, Tuesdays will be song of the week day

Another p-money tune, what an MC
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      2moro, I shall be gold! Wooo.

Played some more SnGs last night, they're quite fun to play when I feel like a break from cash games, and they offer much less downside risk each time I play.

I really need to do some more studying, but I'm so busy atm thanks to my parents that I barely have time to play!
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Just played a nice little session, had some fun in small SnGs but got river merked in both, both times in 3-way pots that would have put me in the chip lead, both when I had 90%+ equity, but hey, that's poker tings!

I then moved on to some cash games. I was happy with the way I played, but more feel good than my previous few cash game sessions, mixed in more 3 and 4-bets, and played more aggro than usually with some more check-raises and attacking c-bets.
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Well I decided to play a little bit on PlayersOnly so as to activate my rakeback and tracking. I really like the sofware, but for some reason found it very hard to multitable. I also don't like the massive "All-in" button next to the raise button, I've selected the option to hide it because it could very easily be fat-fingered!

I'm not sure about the SnG set-up, I like to play 6-max, but the lowest buy in they offer is $2.20 for money payout, the $1.10s give you VIP points if you win? Why the hell would you play them? I do like the bounty SnGs though. It works like half the buy-in goes towards the payout, and the other half goes towards bounty, so you get $4.20 if you win as basic, and then no matter where you come you get $1 for every player you knock out... I won my first and knocked out 4 players, for a return of $8.20 on my $2.20 investment, $6 profit from one SnG, not bad.

Cash seems pretty soft on merge, although I ended the session down due to a massive suck out. Guy who was raising a lot open raised, I call with 88, board comes 8AT rainbow, villain leads out, I just call due to the very dry board and think the villain is on an Ace.

Turn is 4 I'm OOP and decide to check to the aggresor on turn, who checks behind. River is a 2, so complete blank (or was it), I bomb the river to try to get him to think I'm bluffing, the villain raises, I'm now sure he has Ax, maybe AK, I shove, villain calls, turns over a straight? Open raised and fired on the flop with 35o? WTF?

But this was made up on WH where I picked up KK against AA, all in pre and hit K on the river! I'd been playing well up to then and built up a nice stack, hated seeing those aces turned over, but fluked out!
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Tournie suckouts for the fucking lose.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $1,200(BB) Replayer
      Hero ($12,030)
      BB ($21,340)
      UTG ($7,335)
      UTG+1 ($33,619)
      UTG+2 ($19,293)
      MP1 ($11,540)
      MP2 ($33,915)
      CO ($17,444)
      BTN ($48,060)

Dealt to Hero K:heart: K:club:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls $1,200, Hero raises to $11,910 (AI), BB calls $10,710, fold

FLOP ($26,100) 4:spade: K:diamond: 2:heart:

TURN ($26,100) 4:spade: K:diamond: 2:heart: Q:heart:

RIVER ($26,100) 4:spade: K:diamond: 2:heart: Q:heart: J:heart:

Hero shows K:heart: K:club:
      (Pre 71%, Flop 96.8%, Turn 90.9%)

BB shows A:club: T:heart:
      (Pre 29%, Flop 3.2%, Turn 9.1%)

BB wins $26,100

Flop set, hit by runner runner, ouch
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Nice blog man :D Love your writing style as well, always makes a blog much better to read when you actually enjoy reading it :)
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      I agree, very nice blog, any latest graphs?
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Thanks for the support guys.

I decided I was gonna give a couple of dollar dazzlers on merge a try, $1.20 entry, and >$100 for the winner. I'm not exactly skilled in tournies, I find you don't get a chance to play poker, it's just full of people going in with hands like 22+, so I developed a tactic, which is wait for monsters and CRUSH all who stand before me.... or not. KK is just not my lucky hand in tournies!

NL Holdem $500(BB) Replayer
      SB ($26,566)
      BB ($4,807)
      UTG ($10,260)
      UTG+1 ($13,846)
      UTG+2 ($25,922)
      MP1 ($3,274)
      MP2 ($2,683)
      CO ($11,226)
      Hero ($8,605)

Dealt to Hero K:heart: K:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, fold, MP2 calls $500, CO raises to $11,186 (AI), Hero calls $8,565 (AI), fold, fold, MP2 calls $2,143 (AI)

FLOP ($20,883) 6:heart: 5:heart: 9:heart:

TURN ($20,883) 6:heart: 5:heart: 9:heart: 4:club:

RIVER ($20,883) 6:heart: 5:heart: 9:heart: 4:club: Q:club:

MP2 shows 9:club: T:club:
      (Pre 21%, Flop 2.8%, Turn 0.0%)

CO shows 6:diamond: 6:spade:
      (Pre 17%, Flop 61.3%, Turn 76.2%)

Hero shows K:heart: K:diamond:
      (Pre 62%, Flop 35.9%, Turn 23.8%)

CO wins $20,883.

I also gave extremely micro-stakes PLO a go, I discovered one vital thing, I am not good at PLO! Wellll we live and learn and I only lost like $5 playing around.

As for graphs, I shall post two cos you asked so nicely!

It's not all bad for me in tournies, just when I get KK, so here is my SnG graph on WH, small sample, but a decent profit

And here is my main cash graph (WH again). I've decided that showdown winnings are for pussies. So from cash at WH, I'm up around $86, but taking into account bonuses, its over $110, which is always nice. Pretty much breaking even at merge atm, that network seems to like handing me bad beats, BUT I WILL NOT BE BEATEN MERGE!!!

• bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Well my plan of playing much poker this weekend has been scuppered. I have been told by my dad I need to dig six massive holes in the garden so we can plant a hedge. Oh how I love weekends!

Gotta go to the US embassy on wednesday for my Visa interview, which involves having my prints taken, I'm gonna be on the system man! Part of the machine!

Also, anyone that can recommend ways to access the poker rooms like iPoker from the USA (just to access, I mean I wouldn't break the law by actually playing of course!)
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      FUCKING KINGS MAN! I'm never playing KK again, it just doesnt agree with me. Everytime I pick them up, I've lost in the last 4 attempts...

Hand before I lost pre-flop AI AK vs QQ, next hand...

NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      Hero ($9.90)
      BB ($10.12)
      UTG ($19.63)
      CO ($4.88)
      BTN ($13.12)

Dealt to Hero K:club: K:heart:

fold, CO raises to $0.30, fold, Hero raises to $0.90, fold, CO raises to $2.70, Hero raises to $9.90 (AI), CO calls $2.18 (AI)

FLOP ($9.86) 2:diamond: Q:spade: 4:diamond:

TURN ($9.86) 2:diamond: Q:spade: 4:diamond: 6:diamond:

RIVER ($9.86) 2:diamond: Q:spade: 4:diamond: 6:diamond: A:club:

CO shows J:heart: A:heart:
      (Pre 32%, Flop 15.2%, Turn 6.8%)

Hero shows K:club: K:heart:
      (Pre 68%, Flop 84.8%, Turn 93.2%)

CO wins $9.21
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Well I played a small session on merge at NL10, ergh. The level of play there is unbelievably bad, bad it was so bad I just could not play poker. You had players calling anything pre-flop, they would cold call 3-bets oop, never fold, and it just seemed to be one of those nights when they kept connecting. Frustrating, but soon enough they will stop catching the cards, and I will get my monies back!

It didn't really help that I was so card dead I felt like my cards had been dug up from the cemetery. Well, I'm heading back to WH, and to normal players for the rest of the night!

Tell a lie, 4-bet flat call with 88? Really, never mid, just hit a FH on the flop. I've run like a spastic horse today

SB ($6.25)
      Hero ($12.90)
      UTG ($10)
      CO ($19.33)
      BTN ($14.34)

Dealt to Hero Q:club: Q:heart:

fold, CO raises to $0.35, BTN raises to $1.20, fold, Hero raises to $3, fold, BTN calls $1.80

FLOP ($6.40) 8:heart: 5:club: 5:spade:

Hero bets $4.60, BTN raises to $11.34 (AI), Hero calls $5.30 (AI)

TURN ($26.20) 8:heart: 5:club: 5:spade: A:club:

RIVER ($26.20) 8:heart: 5:club: 5:spade: A:club: T:spade:

Hero shows Q:club: Q:heart:
      (Pre 81%, Flop 8.7%, Turn 4.5%)

BTN shows 8:spade: 8:club:
      (Pre 19%, Flop 91.3%, Turn 95.5%)

BTN wins $24.46
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      My run bad continues :D

I just put in a hard session and was 2BI up. This was swiftly wiped out in two hands, which I shall post later...

One I turned a straight, and there was only one hand which would beat me, which is conveniently what the villain had. The other, I slow played my hand, and got hit by a straight on the river, finish the session 0.5BI damn it.

I want my heater back please oh mighty poker god. I don't like being sucked out on time and time again.

Altho the worse suck out I saw, I was thankfully not part of. Read the spoiler and laugh:

SB ($10.15)
      BB ($16.27)
      UTG ($10.98)
      Hero ($11.26)
      BTN ($10.01)

Dealt to Hero 8:spade: 5:diamond:

UTG raises to $0.35, fold, fold, SB raises to $1.40, fold, UTG calls $1.05

FLOP ($2.90) 9:diamond: 9:heart: 6:diamond:

SB bets $2.20, UTG calls $2.20

TURN ($7.30) 9:diamond: 9:heart: 6:diamond: 7:diamond:

SB bets $6.55 (AI), UTG calls $6.55

RIVER ($20.40) 9:diamond: 9:heart: 6:diamond: 7:diamond: T:diamond:

UTG shows 9:spade: 6:spade:
      (Pre 20%, Flop 91.4%, Turn 95.5%)

SB shows J:club: J:heart:
      (Pre 80%, Flop 8.6%, Turn 4.5%)

UTG wins $19.04
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      baaaaaad day. Went on tilt today for the first time in ages! Ended up $25 down for the session, really due to my own fault. I was up and ran bad again, which of course happens, but it got to e today. Was just pissing money away in the end so I had to quit.

Went and played tennis in the sun instead. Good fun!
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Been playing a bit of poker but been too busy for that much of it.

On a real life note, living in London is fucking mental right now. I was out when the Tottenham riots started on saturday, and then for some reason it all moved to my local area yesterday.

Hundreds of riot police and dogs were at the top of my road, setting them on rioters and looters, the main high street got absolutely smashed to shit. All this made it kinda hard to concentrate on the BSS exam.

The riots spread out around the area last night, and today they've started all over the city. It's absolute madness. Buildings and cars being set on fire, and the police just don't have the numbers to contain it. Crazy times.

I'm wondering if they'll have to call the army in to restore order. Thankfully my area has avoided it tonight, I've never heard the streets so quiet.

For those of you from outside the UK, is it getting much coverage?

We need the Batman!
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      London has officially been taken over by gangs, the police just don't have the numbers to control this madness!
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      its crazy! i missed it by a good few miles - i live a couple stops away from croydon. its like the only thing on tv atm lol. how is it all today?
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      So it's been ages since I last updated the blog. I've been thinking about the direction to take for this blog, because I think I'm a bit restricted in what I can talk about in this blog.

I hven't played any poker in the last two months really because my life has been non-stop craziness in a good way!

It's quite frustrating trying to post this blog without talking about the stuff going on, but I can't, so I won't go into it any more until I can think of a way of talking about things in a general way, but I will have some great stories for you guys when I figure it out, so keep tabs on this blog!

But I have started playing poker again, which has been good to get back to! I dropped from Gold to Bronze member due to my non-existent volume! :f_eek:

I was definitely a bit rusty, so I've been keeping it simple, betting when I'm ahead, and not getting too funky with my hand ranges until I'm back in the swing, although I have pulled off some nice bluffs where it felt right.

Finding time to actually play is pretty hard though because there is not much room for it around my life right now, and as a more recreational player, other commitments have to come first.

I'm currently working from 7.30am until 5.30 pm, but I'm really enjoying my work right now. I've been there just over a month and I'm having a blast.
      I also have class a couple of evenings a week because I'm doing a post-grad course in international business, it's actually pretty easy!

Then I also try to hit the gym after work almost every day, so I usually play some poker after for an hour or so to chill out and relax.

Weekends here are mental, we finish work at like 5 on Friday, we go straight down the road to a street which is basically all bars, we get chatting to some girls, and usually go elsewhere with them until waking up the next morning not knowing where we are or how we got there.

Then Saturday night we do the same thing all over again. Women here are so forward as well, they hear our accents and then come over and decide they love us. It's too awesome.

I know this post started in a weird and cryptic manner, and I know it wasn't very poker related, but when I start upping my volume, I'll have more to talk about!
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      So I really haven't had much time to play poker lately. Life, as said in previous posts, has been crazy busy for me, but I really feel like I'm living it to the fullest I can.

I don't think I have spent a weekend in the last month not doing something awesome. Road Trips all over the place! And not for a single on of those have me and my mates even known someone where we are going, or even considered booking a place to stay for the night. We just make "friends" every night and stay with them. Fun times.

The problem with working 10 hour days, and doing a post-grad course, and living life to the fullest... is that I feel like I've reached a stage where I need more hours in my days to be able to accomplish everything I want. I wake up at 6.30. I'm in work at 7.30, leave at 5.30 on average. I get home around 6, hit the gym if I have the energy, or catch up with friends if somethinf is going down. I go to bed around 11 and get up and do the whole thing again the next day.

Lately I have been finding a bit of time to play poker, but because I've played so little of it, I am playing possibly the worst I have ever done. I've lost 5BI at a rate of over 1BI/hr. I really want to get back in to poker, but I'm finding I sit down when not really focused, play on autopilot, make awful choices, and be disgusted by my play!
      Obviously shit needs to change if I want to get back to the decent NL10 game I was playing before.

So long story short, I don't have enough hours in the day to do what I want, so I'm going to have a cheeky word with mother nature and ask her to spin the earth a bit slower! Shouldn't be a big deal.

Well actually I was having a good think about how I could actually fit in everything I want to do, and came to the conclusion that by coming up with a weekly schedule, and sticking to it, I may actually be able to free up an hour or two each day to dediacte to poker, and get myself back on track. So I came up with my schedule in a quiet period at work, and have printed off a copy, as well as put it in my phone's calendar.

I have dedicated around 90minutes to playing poker on weekday evenings (except tuesday, because I have post-grad class on tuesday night), and a few hours on the weekend to be studying and analysing my game.

As part of this new schedule, I'm going to try to be updating this blog with thoughts on sessions every day. This should give me some discipline, and an area to discuss hands and strategy with people.

This schedule will kick in on Monday. I know to start with it will prove hard to stick to, but the more I stick to it, the easier it will get.

Wish me luck guys, as poker is something I love to play, and I'm hoping to quickly get back to my level of play from summer, and surpass it ASAP
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Poker Update
      So this weekend I found myself with some time to play "poker"
      I use the speech marks because I'm not really sure I can justify calling what I played poker.

I actually played one okay session, where I ended up breaking even, but I felt like I'd played some decent hands and mostly better than what I had been playing, but a few stupid mistakes where I knew I was losing but just couldn't fold. I think one of my main problems right not is trusting my reads and analysis enough to listen to myself when I think I should be folding. I'm currently doing the spaz version where I call to prove myself right that I'm losing.

(Seriously, who does that? If I keep doing it, I might have to right to the government and declare myself a charity for micro-stakes poker players...)

But seeing as I don't want to be the Oxfam of the poker world, I am going to have to start forcing myself to fold again!

My Saturday session was a steaming pile of turd. I did nothing right for the hour I played, so I quit rather than keeping shuvelling out my money to the table...

My main goals for my poker this week shall be:

1. Remember how to fold, giving away money is not playing poker
      2. Get back to analysing the board texture and villains range, I'm too focused on my own cards at the moment
      3. While doing the above, I'm going to bring my VPIP down, and the spread between VPIP and PFR needs to be reduced, I'm not taking the pre-flop initiative enough. So I want to play less hands, but play them more focused and more aggressively.

I shall update with that throughout the week