Diary of a Micro Warrior

• bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      So I half stuck to my schedule today.
      I didn't go to the gym because I seem to have put my back out at my rugby sevens training yesterday, and we're playing in one of the country's biggest amateur tournaments in just under two weeks time, so I might have to take a bit of a rest!

BUT I did stick to my poker part of the schedule. I decided to stick to two tables, and really try to focus. I only actually managed 100 hands because I was in a shit-ton of pain from my back, and I'm actually shattered from the weekend and a crap night sleep!

For that time I actually feel like I played better than I have done.

I'm going to some up my progress by giving examples of hands, and writing out my thought process.

1. Remember how to fold, giving away money is not playing poker

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($15.76)
      BB ($3.49)
      UTG ($10.17)
      UTG+1 ($10.21)
      CO ($19.22)
      Hero ($9.74)

Dealt to Hero 7:heart: 7:spade:

UTG calls $0.10, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.40, fold, BB calls $0.30, UTG calls $0.30

FLOP ($1.25) 2:spade: 9:heart: K:diamond:

BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $0.80, BB folds, UTG calls $0.80

TURN ($2.85) 2:spade: 9:heart: K:diamond: A:spade:

UTG checks, Hero checks

RIVER ($2.85) 2:spade: 9:heart: K:diamond: A:spade: 4:club:

UTG bets $1.42, Hero folds

UTG wins $2.66

Pre-flop
      Raise to try to isolate the fish UTG, who had quite high Limp percentage and very little aggression. I end up taking two with me to the flop, the BB being a shortstack who I think will be playing shove or fold on the flop.

Flop
      I c-bet just under 2/3 pot because it is quite a dry flop, but two overcards on the board mean I'm pretty much playing bet/fold here. BB folds and passive fish calls. I'm thinking I can probably get to a cheap showdown because of how passive he is.

Turn
      As per flop plan check-check to see if i can get the cheap showdown
      Do you guys think this was the right play? Should I fire another barrel here?

River
      Villain leads out here, from a passive villain, and me with a bluff catcher at most, I decide my best option is to fold

2. Get back to analysing the board texture and villains range, I'm too focused on my own cards at the moment
      Feel i did this a bit better today.

The hand below, the villain didnt give me the immediate odds to call, and I felt connecting with the flush would mean no more money in the pot due to his large bet and repping of a strong hand but one that needed protection

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($19.08)
      Hero ($10.19)
      UTG ($13.70)
      UTG+1 ($17.99)
      CO ($3.30)
      BTN ($11.86)

Dealt to Hero 7:diamond: 9:diamond:

fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.20, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.10

FLOP ($0.45) J:club: 3:diamond: A:diamond:

Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $0.45, Hero folds

UTG+1 wins $0.42

3. While doing the above, I'm going to bring my VPIP down, and the spread between VPIP and PFR needs to be reduced, I'm not taking the pre-flop initiative enough. So I want to play less hands, but play them more focused and more aggressively.

Only dealt 100 hands, played probably 25 of them, and felt like I didnt make any huge mistakes. Ended the session even, only collected one big hand (AA) which villain folded to a 4-bet.

So day 1 is done. I feel like if I can keep going with this, and concentrating on these goals, I can get back to a decent standard that I was playing before.

I have class tomorrow evening, so I may not have time to play
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Again skipped the gym because of my back, but decided to put in some work on the tables instead. Definitely playing slightly better from focusing and listening to my reads, but sometimes the cards don't fall your way:

AA vs KK, his AA held up.

But hey coolers happen. I managed to stack a different guy a few hands later, so the session could have a much higher result so far. Having a break now, then will play for another 60 or 90 minutes maybe if I can get my concentration back. Will also have a loook at some hands I was confused with.
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Well today I was playing quite well. I was up just under 1BI after 100 or so hands. My c-bets were successful, I was taking the pots down where I knew I could and not losing too much money through pointless bets/calls.

All went wrong when I got some guy all in on the turn when he was drawing to a flush with very bad pot odds, and he hit. I then blew another BI trying to bluff someone when tilted. Was so stupid because I'd been playing well.

That will probably be my lot for the week until monday because I'm going away for the weekend again (3rd out of the last... 4 baller!)