[NL20-NL50] Deep 88 3bet pot

• breena
      breena
      Bronze
      Hey just wanting some feedback on this hand as not sure my thinking was entirely correct

$0.25/$0.50 No Limit Holdem
      6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG CakeSeat2 ($30.30)
      UTG+1 breena ($87.85)
      CO CakeSeat8 ($79.33)
      BTN CakeSeat9 ($49)
      SB CakeSeat10 ($74.80)
      BB CakeSeat1 ($78.17)

Pre-Flop: ($0.75, 6 players) breena is UTG+1 8:heart: 8:club:
      1 fold, breena raises to $1.50, CakeSeat8 calls $1.50, 1 fold, CakeSeat10 raises to $7, 1 fold, breena calls $5.50, CakeSeat8 calls $5.50

Flop: 9:heart: 3:diamond: 2:club: ($21.50, 3 players)
      CakeSeat10 bets $12.50, breena calls $12.50, CakeSeat8 folds

Turn: Q:club: ($46.50, 2 players)
      CakeSeat10 checks, breena bets $18, CakeSeat10 folds

Final Pot: $64.50

breena wins $62.20 (net +$24.70)

CakeSeat8 lost $7
      CakeSeat10 lost $19.50

I have history/notes with SB he is an aggressive player and 3bets/squeezes a fair bit although his bet sizing is unusualy big here

First of all am I right in thinking my preflop call is proffitable? I read somewhere that If I can win at least 10x the amount I call I have the right implied s.

I am also unsure of my turn bet as a shove here would be nasty but I look fairly strong and I am repping a set so could even get TT,JJ to fold here imo.

CO was no fish either and if he called behind I was done with the hand as there are no draws.
  • 7 replies
    • StaticMoth
      StaticMoth
      Silver
      Calling is the worst option possible here imo.

There is a player left to act behind you and you don't have the absolute position if the CO comes along.

And if he is very squeeze happy, it means that he has quite a bit of air in his range, thus not guaranteeing you getting paid off if you hit ur set, meaning you cannot profitably call for setmining.

Vs this kind of opps I like using my position and turn my hand into a 4bet bluff.

UTG opening range is the strongest, so we can credibly rep a monster and look rly strong by 4bet bluffing him there.

You'd be surprised how much they fold (even though 3bet@blinds vs UTG range looks incredibly strong as well, but imo ppl don't rly realise/think about that very much, they just see a chance to squeeze and do it without considering positions)
    • ttjjboy
      ttjjboy
      Bronze
      i'd also fold it pf
    • breena
      breena
      Bronze
      Im never folding pre here, I considered 4bet/fold but chose to flat considering stack sizes

I was expecting CO to call behind pre but I think he is folding the flop unless he hits big after a raise and a call. His range is pps/connector type hands. He would maybe even fold like 89s here.

I said they are not fish but they are just NL50 players on cake and are playing fairly ABC and Im not expecting CO to make a play here without a set/2 pair hand

@ Static even if we can not profitably call for set mining can we not call because we may have the best hand and we could get some more value in later streets.

I mean 8s play a lot better than 2s cause we beat some pairs already. I really hate to 4bet and be forced to fold hands like these 8s.9s,Ts,Js,Qs
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      pf call is standard consider how deep you are
      you likely can´t him down with 88, so calling once and then giving up or sometimes also mixing up by raising flop to 26$ and then folding to shove seems fine options
    • breena
      breena
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      you likely can´t him down with 88, so calling once and then giving up or sometimes also mixing up by raising flop to 26$ and then folding to shove seems fine options
      Thanks for reply. Are you saying that I cant call him down so my turn bet was fine although could of reraised flop?
    • StaticMoth
      StaticMoth
      Silver
      Originally posted by breena

@ Static even if we can not profitably call for set mining can we not call because we may have the best hand and we could get some more value in later streets.
      I made a mistake / didn't look@ stack sizes and assumed 100bb stacks.

But yeah, if we weren't a bit deep ... Ye sure, you can have the best hand but it's hard to play it profitably vs 2 opponents in a sandwich position.

Position sucks / Playability sucks / Board is gonna suck too often ...
      You're gonna have an underpair most of the time, and even when you don't, like Kaitz said, you can't really take a lot of heat ... If the board stays "good" for your hand and he keeps barreling, you're just gonna end up paying off his better pairs too often.

So basically for this to be profitable, you're gonna have to turn your hand into a bluff quite often.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by breena
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      Thanks for reply. Are you saying that I cant call him down so my turn bet was fine although could of reraised flop?
      yeah. Problem just calling flop is that he can very likely barrel scare cards like Q, K, A and if he bets 20$ on the turn you have to fold your hand. But at the same time if he checks I think b/f is reasonable since players would not mostly go for c/rai with worse hands so you can bet and take your free showdown