He is dead wrong -- yet so right

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      In the recent news article:
      Freakonomics Author Proves Poker is a Game of Skill The author makes the following statement:
      One of the most important roles of government is establishing a set of rules under which society will operate. Governments determine property rights and coordinate the provision of public goods. Some frowned upon activities are deemed illegal (e.g. homicide); other favored activities are encouraged through subsidies (e.g. home ownership, education).
      He is wrong in that the role of government is to codify the rules under which the society already operates. If the government establishes "a set of rules under which society will operate" without regard to the unwritten rules that exist already, they merely turn people into criminals.

The author of the article then goes on to define a very reliable, very easily applied elegant test that governments can use to define the rules under which society already operates -- the so-called "daughter test."

What neither article addresses, though, is the reason that modern governments make rules, and that reason of course, is to channel money into the hands of those who form the power behind the government -- in the case of "democracies", or to channel money into that hands of those governing, as in the case of tyrants.

In the specific case of the US, the daughter test fails, because the power behind the government rests in the hands of very wealthy, very prudish people, who are driven to insist that their wishes for their daughters are to be enforced on everyone else's daughter too.

Good luck at the tables...
      --VS
  • 3 replies
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      I would agree with your entire post. Except that I doubt these wealthy people are particularly prudish about small matters such as snorting cocaine or hiring a contract killer--as long as they're the ones doing it and not somebody else.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by belayd
      I would agree with your entire post. Except that I doubt these wealthy people are particularly prudish about small matters such as snorting cocaine or hiring a contract killer--as long as they're the ones doing it and not somebody else.
      Oh, yes, THEY do it. They just don't want their DAUGHTERS snorting cocaine, or hiring contract killers. :)
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Originally posted by belayd
      Oh, yes, THEY do it. They just don't want their DAUGHTERS snorting cocaine, or hiring contract killers. :)
      +1. Although I'm not sure about the cocaine.