Strategy for 6-max tourneys and SnG's?

• swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I'll (normally) be playing in the FTOPS next month, with hopefully a few 6-max events (deep-stacked, slow blind levels etc).
      So anyway, how different is it from 6-max cashgames or normal tournaments? Is it better to play tighter than CG's in the beginning, then as the bubble nears, get back to a "normal" style? (18/14 more or less)

And since most of the SNG satellites are 6-max as well, would the strategy be roughly the same as normal SNGs? And is there any big difference in playing style between turbo and normal?

btw anyone else playing? NL SH KO (#8) should be nice :D
  • 10 replies
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      up :)
      Any ideas anyone? I can't find anything on internet...I guess I can afford to train for the satellites on 6-max SnG's at party, but there aren't any deep-stacked 6-max tourneys...any advice would be much appreciated
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      not played 6 player tourneys much but know the ones I seen they tend to be very loose

The UK tv Sky Poker is 6 player and they show it live online at 9pm GMT or on SKY846 but it is not deepstack and the blinds raise very quick , player a few on stars and they are the same
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Well I've tried a few sets of standard, 11 & 22$ SH sng's at party, and man it's fishy :P Got to HU a couple times before the end of level 2... well all that's very nice, but nothing like deepstacked tourneys... I guess I'll improvise :D
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      Best theory for 6max play is just play your hands PF from early position like you would from middle position in FR and so on. So basically you are acting asif the first 3 players have folded if you are UTG, for example.

Hope this helped.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sw0ldo
      Best theory for 6max play is just play your hands PF from early position like you would from middle position in FR and so on. So basically you are acting asif the first 3 players have folded if you are UTG, for example.

Hope this helped.
      no, because the blinds go faster, you'll have to play faster, and openraise a bit wider. You, sh-cash player, shouldnt have trouble adepting. JJ and QQ get better, AJ gets better, etc.
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      Oh, I thought u meant in general. well just play according to your effective M then.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      6-max on Party are very fishy, I played around 200 of them. I`ve recently found a blog of a 6max sng player (300+ limits) and there should be a strategy for 6-max. But its quite hard to find it, since blog contains tons of entries, but you can give it a try) leave your email if interested.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      thanks! my email is xxxx
      pls tell me when you have it
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      done
    • 07SAA07
      07SAA07
      Global
      :) The most important thing to realize is that you can be more liberal with your starting hands than a 9 person table