6Max SNG Blog - Make Me Or Break Me?

• Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      Well after my first blog went tits up and lasted about a week :f_cry: i have ran away from the cash games as it seems obvious it isn't my strongest game and returned to the SNG's.

I withdrew my roll when all the FBI business went on but im now happy to deposit as this issue seems to have been cleared up, atleast for non-us players.

This is my current graph, playing the SNG's...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It started off very well, then i began mixing my games, experimenting with the turbos and even super turbos to try and get in more volume, as you can see it didn't work out so im returning to my best game, the Regular 6max SNG's.

I will be using a Bankroll method i have seen on a coaching video i have watched. Each month i will withdraw all rakeback + 2% of all BI's. For example, if i play 300 games in my first month, i will have bought in for 3000$, rake not included. I will then withdraw 2% of this also. This way i am cashing out according to the volume of games i have played, not according to how much i have won. This system will keep me playing at buyins i can beat. If people do not understand please say and i'll try to explain in more detail.

Okay so my starting bank will be $1000 on Full Tilt Poker.

Today will be my first day back, i will post back later.
  • 31 replies
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Good luck!
    • Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      Cheers Tim, i need it!

Won't post any graphs till tommorow as i have only managed to play 12 games today, focusing on just 2 tables at once while i get back in my stride.
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Hey, that's a nice graph! :) I wish my STT graph looked like that. Instead my ROI is like -3.4%.

I've heard of the bankroll management technique you intend to use. There are charts available for nearly every holdem game structure, including MTTs. The standard method is to take a percentage of every buyin and add it to your pending cashout amount, and as soon as you hit a cashout threshold, you cash out. It's pretty smart to cash out according to play volume rather than results. That BRM scheme should be publicized more widely.

Incidentally, with a BR of $1,000, you should consider playing live. But then, lately, I'm a big believer in playing live, in general.
    • Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      Cheers Belayd! At one point I was running at 29% ROI, then I fell off the cliff, back down to 9% now.

Yeh I am looking forward to tryin this bankroll method, not tried it before but it will stop me playing at limits I cannot beat.

Not played much live play to be honest, few pub games but that is all. Im not sure I have the poker face, plus the patients after playing so quickly online. Waiting for a guy to have a cig, have a piss, grab a beer, drives me mad!!! Obviously it isn't like this playing proper live games but still much slower.

Which games are you playing? Have you tried different types? Some games just don't suit certain styles in my opinion, unless you adapt Ofcourse. I had a try at the 9mans and got owned!
    • Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      Its been an interesting couple of days, feel much more in my comfort zone playing the 6max regulars.

This is the situation so far....

Played some good stuff, several bad beats, running 55-60BB below EV at the moment but that isn't anything to worry about, it'll bring itself back when its ready!

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$40/$80 No-Limit Hold'em (2 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $4445.00
      SB (Hero):
      $4555.00

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, A.
      Hero raises to $211.00, BB calls $131.00.

Flop: ($422) J, 3, 4 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $280.00, BB calls $280.00.

Turn: ($982) 5 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $760.00, BB calls $760.00.

River: ($2502) 8 (2 players)
      BB raises to $3,194.00(All-In), Hero calls $3,194.00.

Final Pot: $8890.

This was my biggest mistake today, not sure why i called the river, i guess i like giving fish my chips! Oh and he had 67offsuit ofcourse :tongue:

Starting Bank: $1000.00

New Bank: $1043.02

Had a few pennies in my account so that is why my numbers don't exactly add up.
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Sorry to post a hand history in your thread, but this is how my day has gone so far:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $60(BB) Replayer
      Hero ($2,026)
      BB ($1,680)
      UTG ($1,320)
      UTG+1 ($2,789)
      UTG+2 ($1,320)
      CO ($3,400)
      BTN ($965)

Dealt to Hero T:diamond: A:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, CO raises to $120, fold, Hero raises to $360, fold, CO calls $240

FLOP ($780) T:spade: 8:club: 2:diamond:

Hero bets $546, CO calls $546

TURN ($1,872) T:spade: 8:club: 2:diamond: 5:club:

Hero bets $1,120 (AI), CO calls $1,120

RIVER ($4,112) T:spade: 8:club: 2:diamond: 5:club: 4:spade:

Hero shows T:diamond: A:diamond:
      (Pre 67%, Flop 81.6%, Turn 88.6%)

CO shows 4:diamond: 8:diamond:
      (Pre 33%, Flop 18.4%, Turn 11.4%)

CO wins $4,112

My ROI is -100% but my EV adjusted ROI is 0.2% lol
    • Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      Hard luck there Belayd, i bet you wish you could play that guy every day!

Well yesterday was a very stressful day, running very bad, i knew today could only get better!

Here is my graph since i started the blog....

So far so good, just waiting for Full Tilt to get me a new dealer, this guy obviously has it in for me ?(

Played well, only 1 or 2 spots that i didn't like my play, but thats why we review our sessions right?

If i had HEM i could see my adjusted ROI, sadly not with Poker Tracker, so i guess i can't moan about what i could of won!

Starting Bank:[B] $1000[/B]

New Bank: $1047.02
    • Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      Hey all, only managed 6 games tonight, and that will be all. Had several dirty beats, this one sealed the deal...

Full Tilt Poker $10 + $1 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t40/t80 Blinds - 5 players - View hand 1314376
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: t2005 25.06 BBs
      CO: t1255 15.69 BBs
      BTN: t790 9.88 BBs
      SB: t3200 40 BBs
      Hero (BB): t1750 21.88 BBs

Pre Flop: (t120) Hero is BB with A:club: A:heart:
      1 fold, CO raises to t1255 all in, 2 folds, Hero calls t1175

Flop: (t2550) 9:spade: 8:club: A:spade: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Turn: (t2550) T:spade: (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: (t2550) 4:spade: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: t2550
      CO shows J:diamond: Q:club: (a straight, Queen high)
      Hero shows A:club: A:heart: (three of a kind, Aces)
      CO wins t2550

Full Graph...

5 days in and feel like the world is against me!

I'm not much of a wizard when it comes to pokertracker with the graphs etc but when i check the above i feel like im having my ass raped, what are other peoples views?? I understand variance and downswings are standard, and i am trying not to moan because i know its a dreadful read for others.

The yellow line is going the way it should, does this mean im making the right moves? The green just doesn't want to follow!!

I feel like i've played very good this week yet i couldn't buy myself a shandy with my profits! Wait a minute..... rakeback tommorow, i can buy a 6pack!!

Starting Bank: $1000

New Bank: [b]$1002.02[/b]
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Hi, Burgeo,

The EV graph is controversial. Some people say it's pernicious, some say it doesn't mean anything, some (like me) are neutral about it, and some people swear by it.

By my lights you're playing right but just not getting results. Keep plugging away at it and the results should come. :)
    • Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      Hi mate,

EV obviously means something, the yellow line is showing how good your getting your money in, well thats what i had always thought anyhow.

Played alot yesterday, same stuff happening to me, i even think some silent tilt came into my final couple of games X(

Ordered a book earlier, The Poker Mindset, been told from a few people its a great read and will help when things aren't going your way.

Back later with results!
    • Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      Well its been a strange week, didn't play badly but have ended up with a small loss. Very annoying but i've just started reading The Poker Mindset, i am sure this will help my stress levels!

Here is my first weeks graphs....

The green line will catch up!!

Starting Bank:[B] $1000[/B]

New Bank: $942.46

Pending Cashout:

Week 1 Rakeback - $12.44
    • Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      Its been a quiet few days on the poker table, not played as much as last week so tonight i am putting in some big volume.

After the uber downswing i have been reading the book i mentioned and it has certainly helped.

Still running like dirt but managed to get myself back in profit...

Starting Bankroll: $1000

New Bank: $1039.02

Pending Cashout Total: $12.44 + 2% of all Buy Ins

Week 1 Rakeback: $12.44

Very happy with my play, must buy SNG Wiz soon as i think it will benefit my game around the bubble.
    • Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      Hey guys, sorry i've not posted for a while, very busy weekend, enjoyed watching my team United get battered by Barcelona :evil: How good were they!!!

Anyway i thought i'd give you a quick update...

My luck has completely changed and my green line is catching my yellow line at a rapid rate :D Great feeling!!

Got an email today, was VERY shocked when i read it....

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

The Full Tilt Poker Security department has recently concluded an extensive investigation and we have determined that some of your opponents were in violation of our site terms.

We have permanently closed all of the offending accounts. In cases of proven cheating, 100% of the confiscated funds are returned to the players who were victimized. The reimbursement calculation is based on the number of tournaments or hands played against the offending players, and the amount won or lost against them.

We have determined that you are entitled to a refund of $29.06 which will be placed in your account in the next 72 hours.

For a number of reasons, we are unable to provide any other additional information regarding this case, including the players involved and the game type where it occurred. We thank you for your understanding in this regard. The vigilance of our players in reporting suspicious behavior is an important addition to our ongoing diligence against unethical conduct, and we carefully investigate every concern of suspicious activity.

If you believe you have witnessed unfair play at our tables, please don't hesitate to contact us at security@fulltiltpoker.com. If there is any other way we can be of assistance, please let us know.

Full Tilt Poker Security

New Bank: $1100.47

Pending Cashout Total: $42.95 + 2% of Buy Ins

Week 2 Rakeback: $30.51

Rakeback hasn't been added to the new bank as it will be coming out after the first 4 weeks. Also haven't added the $29 FullTilt owe me as i have yet to recieve it.

Its been a slow start, was hoping for a better ROI but im going in the right direction so shouldn't complain.
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Hey, Burgeo,

Have been following your blog with interest, and just haven't had too many intelligent things to say in reply so far. :)

I think you're doing very, very well. Your volume is good, you're +ROI, you're slutting that bonus nicely, and your cashout amount is approaching a meaningful level. Keep it up!

Could you just remind me of the game type/stakes you're playing? If I'm not mistaken you're doing midstakes STTs.
    • Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      Cheers Belayd :D Playing the 6max 10$ SNG's mate and looks as if i will be playing them for a good while.

Quick update as i won't be around much this weekend.

New Bank: $1142.53 - $29.06 recieved and added - Cheating twats!!

Pending Cashout Total: $58.93 + 2% of Buy Ins

Week 2 Rakeback:$30.51
      Week 3 Rakeback: $15.98

Next weekend will be my first cashout.

Stay tuned!!
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Hey, just wanted to say I'm reading the blog, glad to see you're catching up on EV. Also I'm a big United fan, glad to see another PokerStrategist with good taste :)

Anyway, seems you've played quite a bit of 6MAX SNGs, so I was wondering could you give a (relative) begginer a few tips regarding them. I played ~300 of them so far, although at Party (HUGE rake 2.4+0.6$ and 5+1$), and am just about in the black, so any tips would be appreciated. Mainly regarding early-mid stages, push/fold is pretty standard.
    • Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      Hey, cheers mate, its nice when things go your way, just shows what a difference it makes to the results.

A fellow United fan, lets hope Fergie gets some fresh talent in this summer, we certainly need it. Hes done an incredible job this season with what hes had.

If you want to talk about 6max give me a shout on Skype, my name is burgeo29 on there.
    • Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      Hey guys, 4 weeks into the Blog now so time for first withdrawal on Friday.

Been a bad few days on the tables, 3rd places are killing me.

New Bank After Withdrawal: $1026.93

Pending Cashout: Rakeback ($74.86) + 2% of all Buy Ins ($53.60) = $128.46

Rakeback for Week 1,2,3 and 4 - $74.86

1.75%ROI is not what i was hoping for at this stage. My bankroll would of dropped if it had not been for me getting some money back from FullTilt for playing against cheats!!

I feel like this is a bad start to the blog as my bankroll has virtually stood still.

Anyway there is plenty of time to improve.
    • Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      Since the withdrawl at the start of the week seem to be getting a hard time off the dealer, always seems the to happen when i ask FullTilt for some of my money back :evil:

Reading The Poker Mindset has been brilliant, i can't believe how much it has helped me, and my bank balance. For anyone who hasnt read it and struggles with frustration, its a must, i dont think my laptop would of been in 1 piece Wednesday night if it wasn't for reading the it.

Quote of the day.... "Your ego is the enemy" - So true.

Graph since withdrawal...

Have played really well and happy with results.

New Bank: $1104.56

Withdrawn Profits: $128.46

Been mixing in a few $5 SNGs to help with volume, the 6max dont seem to fill up like they used to, miss the Americans thats for sure.

Going to do next withdrawal at the end of this month so i can track my progress month to month, rather than every 4 weeks rakeback.

Got alot of FullTilt points to spend, and Iron Man medals are mounting up too, not sure what to spend on really. Any suggestions?