[NL2-NL10] NL10 - MSS, freeplay trips, again set mania!

• BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $10.90
      BB (Hero):
      $3.85
      UTG1:
      $11.38
      UTG2:
      $9.98
      MP1:
      $9.50
      MP2:
      $10.00
      MP3:
      $10.00
      CO:
      $23.50
      BU:
      $8.66

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, 4.
      UTG1 calls $0.10, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.10, 4 folds, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.4) 4, Q, 9 (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, UTG1 checks, MP1 checks.

Turn: ($0.4) 4 (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.28, UTG1 raises to $0.56, MP1 folds, SB folds, Hero raises to $1.03, UTG1 calls $0.47.

River: ($2.46) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.17, UTG1 raises to $2.34, Hero calls $1.55, UTG1 calls $0.38.

Final Pot: $7.9.

Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, fours(As 4c).
      UTG1 shows a full-house, queens full of fours(Qh Qs).

UTG1 wins with a full-house, queens full of fours(Qh Qs).

Villain stats in 18 hands :
      83(vpip)/28(pfr)/-/100(steal)
      40(fcbet)/0(f 2nd barrel)/33(wtsd)/0.9(af)

I don't have much stats but they show villain is on the fishy side. He minraises me on the turn and looking at his AF I smell set again but there wasn't room for much sets, only 99 (QQ is out of question) and he'd probably raise it. Also, the sample is too small to make asumptions based on AF. I decide to go allin with the hand.

PS : Should I start raising 4x if the environment where I play is obsessed with set mining? They call me a lot and then call my cbets with their second pocket pairs all the time.
      Their standard play is like this :
      > 2nd pair : check and call cbet with 2nd pair, probably call turn aswell if they still got a 2nd pair (this depends on the fishiness of opponent)
      > bottom pair : mindonkbet in or out of position. I started abusing this by raising every such bet and had great success
      > set : call flop, minraise turn
      > overpair : call or raise flop, mostly call

Sorry for the huge block of text. Thanks for reading!
  • 3 replies
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      ahn... if you are saying yourself they min-raise turn w/ sets, why did you min-raise back?

The sample is small but 83 VP, even in 18 hands... this guy is not folding ever. Ever. And with that AF, raising turn in position... all is weird.

Of course 99 is possible but in his range you've got to consider Q4 and 94 - all very improbable (blockers) but could be there.

And QQ... well, some of those people get iso-raised A LOT, so they love to limp top of range to get raised and then min-3bet or even 3bet shove.

Vs. 3 opponents after the min-raise on the turn I'd play wa/wb and call turn, check/call river against the remaining villain.

What I don't see is this guy min-raising turn in position w/ flush draw. And even if he did, that would be awful on a paired board with only one card to come. He could do that with two pair though (not the case, as he would have bet the flop imo) or a worse 4. So, wa/wb and I don't see the need to go broke on an unraised pot...

(ps.: I think "iso"rasing OOP with 3 previous calls w/ A4 off is pretty bad, unless they are severe limp/folders. Many times they will all call (no matter how large the raise) and you'll be playing a large multiway pot OOP. Plus in this case I think you'd get 3bet/shoved.

So, those are the 2c from the fish here (who doesn't even play NL10 anymore, so I'm just writing to exchange some thoughts and learn too, don't get me wrong or too serious).

edit: sorry, which room was this?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello!

I think I would reraise bigger than $1 or even considering shoving if he chases any flushdraw OR feels he is committed with PP

As played I would check/shove the River rather than betting because Fish like to call and then you miss a lot of value!

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      Hello!

I think I would reraise bigger than $1 or even considering shoving if he chases any flushdraw OR feels he is committed with PP

As played I would check/shove the River rather than betting because Fish like to call and then you miss a lot of value!

Best regards,
      Gerv
      So apparently in short I was completely wrong :f_biggrin:

Anyway, I was about to say shoving turn would be better than bet/calling any card on river anyway...

But I still must confess: I don't remind seeing a fish so fishy min-raising flush draw in position like that...