Life of a small stakes poker player

• plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      Hello everyone, thank you for clicking on my blog please read on..... :D

About me:

My name is ryan, i live on the south coast of england. I have been working part time as a sales assistant at a local shop since 2008, as you can guess im getting pretty bored of it there, it was only supposed to be a job for when i was at college but with college over i couldnt find another job. Then my saviour came............ i was offered training as a construction engineer with a garanteed job at the end, i was so excited but it was unpaid untill i was qualified. :( so im hoping that poker can give me a little side income :) moveing onnnn.........

My poker so far:

Well i have been playing poker for around 8 months, i started playing facebook poker at the beggining that is where i caught the poker bug, i couldnt stop thinking about it. I saw a advert on tv for pokerstars so i thought why not, i deposited 20 dollars and quickly lost it. I then realised that poker for real money was VERYYYYY DIFFRENT. I continued to make deposits and losing them, however each time i lost it slower lol. I got sick of losing all the time, and decided to do some revision, i watched lots of videos and learnt alot. I had finally become a winning poker player and went from $30 too $200.

Well at this point i was a poker god... i couldnt lose soo nl100 was for me, as you can imagine i wasant a poker god and i could loose, so back to square one it was. BANKBOLL = $0....

i pretty much gave up at that point, i was still watching videos and was improving but didnt have any funds to try it on the tables. ALONG CAME POKERSTRATAGY, with your $50 i have a new lease of life and a understanding of bankroll managment. so its time to try again......

For anyone that made it to the end of this thread without dyeing of boredom here is a graph lol...

Day one

Short Term Goals

--Move up too NL5 within 2 months
      --Read and watch 5 videos - articals a week
      --move up to silver status on here
      --Make a thread that might actually interest some people and not bore them to death

CURRENT BR --- $56

Thank you for anyone who has made it this far, to be honest i wouldnt have been able too and now this started post is out the way i will make them more interesting :D
  • 28 replies
    • plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      Well today was eventuful, ill start with my life stuff :)

Life -

Well, as i said ebfore i work in a local shop, one of my colleges is also a good friend of mine and lives down my road, turns out she has burst her ear drum so i went round there to find her ears bleeding. that was rather eventuful.

I also sat and watched my cats eat a mouse, felt sorry for the poor thing but thats life i guess lol.

Poker-

Well today was rather frustrating, ive played 500 hands and pretty much broke even. it seemed to me that everytime i made a profit on one table i lost some on another. i feel like im playing way to many hands so im going to have another look through the starting hands chart and try to tidy up my preflop play a bit.

Here is my graph for today :)

And my month so far

Thanks you for reading :D

Current BR = $56.38
    • plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      hey guys, can someone let me know what they think of this :/

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.101 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K:heart: , K:club:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.04, 3 folds, BB calls $0.02.

Flop: ($0.09) J:heart: , T:diamond: , 9:club: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.09, Hero raises to $0.18, BB calls $0.09.

Turn: ($0.45) 3:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.43, BB raises to $0.47 (All-In), Hero calls $0.04.

River: ($1.39) J:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $1.39

Results follow :
      Hero shows (Kh Kc)
      BB shows three-of-a-kind, jacks (Ks Js)

BB wins with three-of-a-kind, jacks (Ks Js)

apart from the obvious bad beat do you think i should have been more worried about the straight ? bearing in mind this guy was very very agressive?
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      :)
      Originally posted by plebpl

Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.101 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Results follow :
      Hero shows (Kh Kc)

apart from the obvious bad beat do you think i should have been more worried about the straight ? bearing in mind this guy was very very agressive?

Hey good luck with your poker career and your the construction engineering :P

first thing I see on your hand is your preflop raise is too low, on nl2 a min raise will not keep too many players calling you!!

with regards to the construction job, Im a construction site manager let me know if you need any advice in that direction :P

Roo
    • plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      ahh ive dealt with your kind before ;) haha, i agree the raise preflop was too small, you always notice these things after :(

thanks for offering your advice :D its a great career and i am so lucky to have been offered training :/ looking forward to getting on the sites on my own
    • MikeF
      MikeF
      Bronze
      i wouldn't be to worried about the straight on that hand because with your KK you kind of block many KQ combos and only 78 would have you beat and since your minraise preflop could sense weakness to some ppl not much to wonder about his donk here. Since he isn't even fullstacked i would definitely go broke here, in my experience until now short stacked players tend to go broke more light.. so nice hand imo :) regardless of the bad beat in the end hehe
    • plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      thank you :) i also hit my first quads since starting poker again today :D just the roayl flush to go ;)
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      ahh ive dealt with your kind before ;) haha, i agree the raise preflop was too small, you always notice these things after :(

thanks for offering your advice :D its a great career and i am so lucky to have been offered training :/ looking forward to getting on the sites on my own
      don't listen to him. You can't raise out callstation no matter what you bet. Why would you feed them with average hands? Just make the right plays. That does not mean how much you have to bet preflop. Preflop is mostly just thing of fashion. I like to raise 2.5x if there are no limpers and there is really no need to place more. Nothing sweeter than get 3bet when you hold rockets. 2BBs is not enough as you're giving good price always to BB for special play that is called BB special :s_evil:

Anyway ranging from 3-6BB is pretty standard.. Important is to make less mistakes pre/post flop than your opps, then you will be fine ;)
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze

Results follow :
      Hero shows (Kh Kc)

As already mentioned - Raise more pre-flop to at least 4x at NL2.

Flop - Not worried about the straight here at all - However when you re-raise I think at least 3x his raise is a much better option given his stack size, he'll probably just shove over the top and then you could snap-call. Especially as you've already noted he is an aggressive player.

Unlucky result but you got it in EVENTUALLY :D with the best hand which is the obvious aim of the game.

Grats on getting quads! Did you get paid off with them?

Anyway, good luck with getting into NL5 and your poker side-career :) . Plus, of course your normal career path too - Will follow :)
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrMardyBum

Results follow :
      Hero shows (Kh Kc)

As already mentioned - Raise more pre-flop to at least 4x at NL2.

Flop - Not worried about the straight here at all - However when you re-raise I think at least 3x his raise is a much better option given his stack size, he'll probably just shove over the top and then you could snap-call. Especially as you've already noted he is an aggressive player.

Unlucky result but you got it in EVENTUALLY :D with the best hand which is the obvious aim of the game.

Grats on getting quads! Did you get paid off with them?

Anyway, good luck with getting into NL5 and your poker side-career :) . Plus, of course your normal career path too - Will follow :)
      well :) Say he is usualy raising 2BB now he bets 4BBs.. Everyone folds. I think what you should say is that it is good to bet this hand about 3-4BBs but also range rest of his hands the very same way.. Otherwise he will be giving tells.

Even though on NL2 I've noticed that ppl don't care. I usualy 2.5BB all the time with any two but in limped pots I sometimes 3x +BB for one with made hands and ppl still doesn't seem to care.. Even though i do this very rare so they can get read almost everytime I do that.. :) They still don't care.. From this point of view 4BB good.
    • plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      i have to agree, people will call with anything at 2nl, i find in almost every hand there are 4 - 5 players seeing the flop. chances are if you have something good, one will have something better :/ i think im going to concentrate on playing solidly. i find myself tilting quite alot but can bring myself to a calm place and continue.

Well guys here is my final result for today, it was VERY up and down and highley frustrating. i played some very bad hands i admit but i kept finding myself beaten by worse hands, im thinging of moving up to 5nl just to try and get away from the fishes. im sick of not being able to put people on hands. i know there will still be alot of fishes but im hoping to thin the field abit.

as you can see at the end of my day i had 3 beats, one was admitadly bad play the other 2 had the ods with me i think they were 70 - 30 ish, opponent had flush draws both times and hit. rather anoying but hey thats poker and tomorow is another day :)

current BR = $53 -- i entered a $3 sng by accident lol
    • plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      Let me know what you would have done here please guys :)

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K:heart: , K:diamond:
      UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.06, 2 folds, SB calls $0.05, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.20) 8:diamond: , 6:diamond: , 3:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.06, MP3 calls $0.06, SB folds.

Turn: ($0.32) Q:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.06, MP3 calls $0.06.

River: ($0.44) 7:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.21, MP3 calls $0.21.

Final Pot: $0.86

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Kh Kd)
      MP3 shows three-of-a-kind, sixes (6h 6s)

MP3 wins with three-of-a-kind, sixes (6h 6s)
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      i have to agree, people will call with anything at 2nl, i find in almost every hand there are 4 - 5 players seeing the flop. chances are if you have something good, one will have something better :/ i think im going to concentrate on playing solidly. i find myself tilting quite alot but can bring myself to a calm place and continue.

Well guys here is my final result for today, it was VERY up and down and highley frustrating. i played some very bad hands i admit but i kept finding myself beaten by worse hands, im thinging of moving up to 5nl just to try and get away from the fishes. im sick of not being able to put people on hands. i know there will still be alot of fishes but im hoping to thin the field abit.

as you can see at the end of my day i had 3 beats, one was admitadly bad play the other 2 had the ods with me i think they were 70 - 30 ish, opponent had flush draws both times and hit. rather anoying but hey thats poker and tomorow is another day :)

current BR = $53 -- i entered a $3 sng by accident lol
      at some point you will realise that fishes are on every level. The higher they play the more aggressive they're tho. So if you have no BR for NL5 stay where you are and grind :) Find solid game and then move up ;)
    • plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      thanks for your reply, today has been very up and down aswell so im begginning to think im playing too loose, so i tightened up towards the end of the session and did better than the begginning. im also finding myself bluffing too much, people at these stakes dont seem to want to fold lol
    • plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      this hand pretty much sums up how my luck has been latley :/

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:spade: , A:diamond:
      2 folds, Hero calls $0.02, CO raises to $0.10, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.18, CO raises to $2.09 (All-In), Hero calls $1.82 (All-In).

Flop: ($4.12) K:heart: , J:diamond: , 5:diamond:
      Turn: ($4.12) 4:heart:
      River: ($4.12) 4:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.12

Hero shows (As Ad)
      CO shows a full-house, kings full of fours (Ks Kd)

CO wins with a full-house, kings full of fours (Ks Kd)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:spade: , K:spade:
      3 folds, MP3 checks, Hero raises to $0.06, 2 folds, BB calls $0.04, MP3 folds.

Flop: ($0.13) K:diamond: , Q:diamond: , 8:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.06, BB calls $0.06.

Turn: ($0.25) 2:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.19, BB calls $0.19.

River: ($0.63) 6:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $1, Hero calls $0.96 (All-In).

Final Pot: $2.59

Hero shows (As Ks)
      BB shows a flush, ace high (Ah 9h)

BB wins with a flush, ace high (Ah 9h)

In this hand i couldnt understand how he would have the flush, it didnt make sence because if he had a flush draw me hmust of been going for a backdraw flush when the flop hit. so i guess i didnt understand how he would continue to play his hand with nothing to make the flush
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      thanks for your reply, today has been very up and down aswell so im begginning to think im playing too loose, so i tightened up towards the end of the session and did better than the begginning. im also finding myself bluffing too much, people at these stakes dont seem to want to fold lol
      yah. They are more likely to value bet river rather than not. Its somewhat dumb the way they play. Coz if you have it they pay, if not they won't extract enough value from you by just calling your cbet, checking turn and value betting river.

I've just realized that I am the worst tournament player EVER! I could've make $6.6 free more today.. I just spew 25k stack where was good enough just to sit and played aggresively hands like 24s 75s etc :D And then did something similar when shortstack but around bubble. I just hate to fold AJs :) That's my cash game thing :) Problem in tournament tho. You have only one chance.. No rebuys :D I got to final table in live game, pushed OOP with 22 vs two limpers just about 10BB stack and got called by 99 :) ))) What to do if you're fish like me..

Anyway gl to you mate. You seem to be thinking player. Try to play hands that have most chances to improve. Like pairs, suited conns and suited gappers. I wouldn't bother with ATo AJo tho :) Unless reaaaaly short ;)

EDIT: and yeh! You got it right! Don't bluff unless you know where you stand in the hand ;)
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      so how you doin now, mate? Kicking their a...? :)
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      Let me know what you would have done here please guys :)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K:heart: , K:diamond:
      UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.06, 2 folds, SB calls $0.05, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.20) 8:diamond: , 6:diamond: , 3:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.06, MP3 calls $0.06, SB folds.

Turn: ($0.32) Q:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.06, MP3 calls $0.06.

River: ($0.44) 7:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.21, MP3 calls $0.21.

Final Pot: $0.86

Hero shows (Kh Kd)
      MP3 shows three-of-a-kind, sixes (6h 6s)

MP3 wins with three-of-a-kind, sixes (6h 6s)
      I think this could have been an easy hand to get away from. I would have bet harder on the flop to try and judge the strength of the other guys hand. 17 or 18c into 20c pot would have given you that info on that flop. Once he called a bigger raise like that I would have been much more cautious of the hand. I wouldn't worry about it though. That is what set mining is all about, catching out people with KK or AA
    • plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mattisks
      so how you doin now, mate? Kicking their a...? :)
      just moving my money over to poker stars atm, i really dont like the party poker software so i will start this again when its moved over, probably going to grind the 1 dollor 50/50 sngs and try to place in 3 out of every 4 i play :D ill keep you posted
    • plebpl
      plebpl
      Bronze
      hey guys, im back... my bankroll is finally on stars and my first day i was crushing ;) feels nice to be winning again and it was very consistant for once too.

Well here goes

Life --

Not much has been happening really, been doing alot of over time at work and not much else to be honest.

Poker --

poker has been good, in my break from onlien i played alot of live, i made aroudn 100 pound or 170 dollors in 4 days, so happy with that.

todays graph