Need to Moan

• llamacaptain
      llamacaptain
      Bronze
      Currently trying to work my way up out of the micro stake SNGs. Have posted a profit but not enough yet to be able to move up to the $5-$6 buy ins.

Feeling the urge to moan because have recently been hitting superlative cool decks.

Villain had shoved, I had QQ so called - he turns over 2 4 and flops quad 4s

I had KK - lost vs A2 suited

I know that all this comes under the phrase "that's poker" but currently have been having a painful loss streak of about 6 games where I am getting it in good but failing to stay ahead...
  • 11 replies
    • Ozric90
      Ozric90
      Bronze
      I feel your pain, unfortunately there's a lot of shoving on week hands, especially in the lower limit SNG's. I found the best way to play the lower limits is just to play even tighter than normal until there's only 4-5 players left, avoid calling shoves till you're in the $11 and above games unless you have the absolute nuts.
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by llamacaptain
      Currently trying to work my way up out of the micro stake SNGs. Have posted a profit but not enough yet to be able to move up to the $5-$6 buy ins.

Feeling the urge to moan because have recently been hitting superlative cool decks.

Villain had shoved, I had QQ so called - he turns over 2 4 and flops quad 4s

I had KK - lost vs A2 suited

I know that all this comes under the phrase "that's poker" but currently have been having a painful loss streak of about 6 games where I am getting it in good but failing to stay ahead...
      [] sample size

You'll see downswings of hundred(s) buy-ins as you continue playing SNGs.
    • mktpppr
      mktpppr
      Bronze
      fight variance with volume and good BRM, guys will call you with 98s in microstakes SNGs, play normal ABC poker, cheers and gl at the tables
    • llamacaptain
      llamacaptain
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TiciBoy
      [] sample size

I do realise this. However I just had to get it off my chest because a bit of a bitching session helps me get over my tilt and back to playing good poker. I'm one of those expulsive people... once it's off my chest I'm back to playing good.
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ozric90
      I feel your pain, unfortunately there's a lot of shoving on week hands, especially in the lower limit SNG's. I found the best way to play the lower limits is just to play even tighter than normal until there's only 4-5 players left, avoid calling shoves till you're in the $11 and above games unless you have the absolute nuts.
      Did you actually suggest him to fold QQ and KK to a shove in micro SNGs?? :f_confused:
      I'm not a SNG player, but isn't it a good thing if people shove weak hands? :f_confused: You can be happy if you get all your chips in when you are ahead (like QQ vs 24 all in preflop), in the long run you'll win lots of money that way.
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by llamacaptain
      [] sample size

I do realise this. However I just had to get it off my chest because a bit of a bitching session helps me get over my tilt and back to playing good poker. I'm one of those expulsive people... once it's off my chest I'm back to playing good.
      :) If it helps you get rid of tilt...keep doing it, but expect to get flamed for your moaning sometimes ;)
      I'd suggest you to start a blog...that way you can bitch and moan and also brag if you are doing good + you'll keep track of your progress. :D
    • llamacaptain
      llamacaptain
      Bronze
      I have started a bit of a blog but on Blogger rather than making one in the threads here. May just start one and provide links to my Blogger updates... :P
    • llamacaptain
      llamacaptain
      Bronze
      ugh... latest travesty... late game and I am UTG with JJ. All in and get called by J 3 suited and 99... the J 3 hits their flush and the 99 hits their set...

gg all... gg
    • Ozric90
      Ozric90
      Bronze
      Did you actually suggest him to fold QQ and KK to a shove in micro SNGs?? :f_confused:
      I'm not a SNG player, but isn't it a good thing if people shove weak hands? :f_confused: You can be happy if you get all your chips in when you are ahead (like QQ vs 24 all in preflop), in the long run you'll win lots of money that way.
      Wasn't intending to say QQ and KK are bad hands to call a shove with, just that every time you go all-in in a tournament or SNG your risking your tournament life. I would much rather build my chip stack slowly and leave the risking to when there are fewer players left, than call an all in where there's still a reasonable chance I could be knocked out.
    • llamacaptain
      llamacaptain
      Bronze
      @Ozric - I grind $2 buy-in 6max Turbos on FTP currently. Most of the time when I am shoving with these hands it is always <20BB and most often <15. As far as running bad goes, I think the monkey has flown for the night. Was playing multitabling 4 tables, dropped to 3 and won 2 of them... >_>

Definitely makes things feel better... :P
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I feel your pain, unfortunately there's a lot of shoving on week hands,
      especially in the lower limit SNG's.
      Shoving with weak hands is often correct, and it is often something you expect experts to do, not weak players. When the correct play is to shove, many weak players will limp instead.

If your opponents are playing badly, this is generally a good thing for you, not a bad thing. You can't beat a table of experts. You won't lose in some ways which frustrate you, but you will lose even more often in other ways which don't feel any better.

I found the best way to play the lower limits is just to play even tighter than normal until there's only 4-5 players left, avoid calling shoves till you're in the $11 and above games unless you have the absolute nuts.
      I think you are leaving a lot of money on the table with that strategy. If your opponents play really badly, you might have a lot of flexibility in how you win. Maybe you could fold every hand in the first couple of levels, including AA, and still eke out a small profit. However, if you want a high ROI you should not run away from the bad play in early levels. You should get the chips of the bad players before they give them to someone else. Some of the time, you will bust out in 9th when you try this. However, according to my studies, it's worth a significant amount to play the first couple of levels, and serious players who are ultra-tight in early levels do not do as well as serious players who are looser.